Forum Competition

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

yes good for me

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

me too :grin:

oldgreyboy
    Participant

im on i want to meet u ppl

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

okay SAT 16th jan??Howzat everyone?

fishforpot
    Participant

16/1/2016 ? , that’s 5 years 2 weeks away

Was it you who told someone to proof read what they type in another thread ??? Saturday 16th Jan ….the closest 16th being a saturday will be in 2016 ….

I assume you mean the 15th ?? …. tides look ok for fishing during the day …

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup the 15th was looking at last years calender now wheres my glasses??heres my donation for a prize..this will be awarded in a draw out of all participants in the forum contest..its 1m by 500 approx..titled-” sea rape”valued at $1600..I will ask my mate Ross who lives out here(used to have the brighton fishing shop)for a few more prizes..

fishforpot
    Participant

You know Ross , would be suprised if you didnt I guess ……..

Tell him Graham said “hi” please ……aint seen him since he left the store

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

certainly will..hes still got mosta his shop in the garage as his place and is always on hand with tackle or repairs..shit hes got everything in it..his family has been here for yonks..they used to own most of the sections lakeside..very good man..gotta see him in the next few days to redo the rod tip on the thresher rod..the braid sorta wore thru the guide then the whole guide collapsed!(Im sure there was smoke on one of the runs!) :lol: Ross knows the beach from here to taumutu like the back of his hand…like where the horse mussel bed is..but thats another story…

yellowfin
    Participant

fishforpot
    Participant

Yes , Ive heard talk of this mussle bed , and he once tried to tell me where it was …but I didnt find it …..It wouldnt suprise me that there would be some foul withen coey of the beach somewhere along near Mike’s place as the water is way deeper down there and the fishing doesnt compare..
    The boatload of grouper the trawler dragged up a km off birdlings this time a year or two ago where heading somewhere ….maybe it was there

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Te Mata Hapuku (the eye of the Grouper).is Birdlings Flats old Pa name…its only 180 odd years that forsyth has been closed..to the sea..under 6000 years ago the waimak used to come out in ellesmere..400 years ago the most common easy to catch and dry in the sun species was couta..the early whalers thought upon sighting land the racks of couta drying in the sun were huge buildings with shiny roofs..then there were the small smokehouses with huge sides of hapuka steadily smoking alongside the odd gutted human..either someone who had pissed you off..or a slave that was more useful in death..there are still residents here that remember huge hapuka being caught here at this time of year when they frequent the shallows..hence the name of my place Wharehapuku Art Studio..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Grouper use to frequent shallow reefs just like Blue Cod. But the resident fish were quickly caught so now only* find in their deeper habitats. Well the shcoolies do still migrate into the shallows. A few remote spots, like around the Chathams still have grouper maintaining populations in shallower, more accessible spots.

I remember reading a article which mentioned larger grouper chasing baitfish around the Haast wharf.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Or was that Jacksons bay wharf?…long liners still come into the shallows around leigh and kawau in the hauraki gulf tween now and feb for a migration of Hapuka(hapuku is a south island name)I suspect it could be similar down here..but your right Milli we fished them out from the local reefs long ago..We also got the odd one at this time of year..more around mid feb behind Pakatoa island when we were commercially dragnetting by hand..we used to throw the big hen snapper back..over 30lb!ah those were the days…now back to the competition..so is the 15th(sat) ok for most people on this forum?…and the 16th if the weather is custard?? :idea: :idea: :idea: ? :grin:

elmo22
    Participant

yes good for me..looking 4ward to it..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah probably was Jackson Bay…

Going to pencil in the 15th, but most likely would fish the beach the night of the 14th so I can get two change of light in. Then might sneak away early afternoon or something to chase Brookies in lake Emily.

What is the ‘Rocket Launching pad’ I see on the topo map?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.