Forum Competition

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Hardy
    Participant

Now Birdlings, thats what I call good thinking. A laid back competition, with non edible species like Seven Gillers and Rays being let go after recording. And the eatie ones can be weighed, digitally captured also ( I Ilike that) then headed and gutted. And honesty is of course the best policy. And if not all Have a camera or photo capable CP, well then we just cant admire the pic. At tall tales night.

I will be targeting Sun Fish, which I admit are pretty hard to snare, but they sure do grow big. Havent managed to catch one yet. Have been trying for Years, but I aint a quitter. A nice big flying saucer as a bycatch would be acceptable tho. See Mili is gunna target the large sharks. So I will take care of Sunfish and Manta Rays. Anybody else have a target fish they are after.

Cheers Trev aka Hardy

Miliwolf
    Participant

Once I catch a Elephant fish I would consider targeting sharks. Wanted to catch one for ages but they are not about up here in reasonable numbers.

Hardy
    Participant

Swellmap not looking good for Birdlings. Thursday 4 metre, Friday 3 metre, Saturday around 2.5metre. Is Swellmap accurate for Birdlings. Wind seems to be all over the place. Maybe it will change later in the week. Wot you local Birdies say. Ya can’t beat local knowledge.

Cheers Trev

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d say most of the time it’s accurate but sometimes you can get out there and it’s totally different to what you expected. Might be a bit late to call it off the day before especially since some people are traveling so far.

fishforpot
    Participant

Will have to make a call by wed night id say …….4 days of southerly winds should see a solid dump …and Im not talking #2’s

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

friday morning is call time….9am…but will have a 60/40 call on thurs nite..

Hardy
    Participant

Dont put me into the postponment equation, as I have to travel to ChCh anyway. Will have my Laptop with me and T Stick so I can check progress after I leave Westport
    on Wednesday afternoon. And if the sea beats us, will probably head out to Birdlings on Friday anyway to check out the gallery and meet up with ya Ian, and likely stay the night in the camper. And maybe share an ale or two. Wine and oranage juice in my case, with ice of course.

Cheers Trev

elmo22
    Participant

yes we will be out there to for a fish up or a west coast knees up… even if the sea is rough. have buggered my tee shirt so with a coulpe of beers in me i might have to enter the wet tee shirt comp… is there a size limit before i can enter wife says i have MAN breast not little boys ones like fishforpot lol

Hardy
    Participant

Good call Elmo, sea’s no good. Then we will indeed just have a right ole West Coast or Birdlings Flat P–s up. Buggar the Single Malts though. I hated malt when I was a kid :grin: . But like I said, I will bring the Tea bags if Ian just wants a nice hot cup of tea. Would bring my wife, but buggar don’t have one of those. She buggered of after I bought my first surcasting rod and reel, now what year was that :grin: so I will just bring my latest rod and reel. Just in case its needed for a fish. In any case, no matter what, Birdlings Flat here I come.

Was talking to Ron tonite. He is buggered afta the Mokihinui Comp, all that walking in wet soft sand, he reckons. I told him he is just getting old

Cheers Trev

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

ok you guys this was a family site.. :roll:

..thank gawd you guys wont be into my single malt scotch..more for me..
    ..I think elmo you will be up for anything after being the slave for a week!
    ..Trev you will have to concrete the beach for Ron..jeez man Ive only had 3 wives and Im on my second susan..mind you one died on me(not on top of me)so that was a refund..and by crikey they are good to have around
    when your crook,.its hard to get a fishing rod to make you a cuppa..I have been out today setting the sunfish and manta ray berley pots..so your fishing will be easier

I have no idea of the numbers of who will turn up…?So a lot will be by air..good space on an empty section next door for your caravan trev(just park on the front of it because of the gravel)in fact all around my place is good parking..

cheers

oldgreyboy
    Participant

hardy. my parents chased me every afternoon with a tablespoon of maltexo i hated the taste when i got to about 14 years old i stood my ground and dropped the old man cold im not proud of that but i never had to eat it again

yellowfin
    Participant

Set wave size is meant to peak at 6 meters thursday then start calming down, but still around 4 meters friday/saturday, according to swellmap.

Miliwolf
    Participant

4m is fairly tough fishing…. If accurate does not look good.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Fingers crossed..its often calm here down the beach because of the penninsula.. :grin:

Hardy
    Participant

Way back when I was a young kid living in ChCh. Like about Four. I can remember Dad taking me to this beach. It had this one big wave and people were fishing.
    It had lots of little stones on it. I can remember that I was amazed that the they were catching these silver fish, outa that real big wave. It was a big dumpa wave.
    I can remember Little River. So it must have been Birdlings. And we had a Model A Ford in those days. Just realised that tonight. Must have been kahawai or herrings.
    And can remember these pod things that I thought were like kelp seaweed but they were hard, and looked like a kinda flying saucer. Ellle eggs.

Yep looks like I have been to Birdlings around 1951. Drat that gives my age away a bit.

Yep swelly fella can get it wrong. Went out to the Nine Mile today, to watch my two ole mates slay the Rig. My rods are packed. Swelly Fella said 1.5metre. Got there no mates and a good 3 metre wave face booming in.

Fingers are crossed.

Cheers Trev

Cheers Trev aka Hardy

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.