2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

ss….i’m not saying it’s impossible,,,but the boat may have been pulling a shellfish dredge, or some other gear that doesn’t fall under the ban??…i too have seen commercial boats “trawling??” very close 2-300m off port levy heads on numerous occasions.
    (lifted fom a website)…. Trawling is not permitted within one nautical mile of a river mouth from 1 January until 30 April. If you see trawl boats operating within this area, record the location, date, time, name and size of the vessel and call the Ministry of Fisheries with the details: 0800 476 224…..on forrestnbird site it states 2 miles offshore,for trawls and 4 miles for sets. ….

i phoned the number just now to enquire “what these boats would be pulling?” and spoke to a lady who didn’t know, but took my number saying a fishery’s officer will call back …..i’ll let you know if he does!

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers ollie,almost a hundred percent sure it was a trawler,saw him last year apwel,there are no shellfish beds there anyway and there were birds worki
    mg around it wich indicates fish.i shal find out anyway a shearer on the farm knws all the guys who fish that area,i will go down to the dock and have a word to the skipper,things could get heavy haha.

beameer
    Participant

Evening all ,fished this arvo evening at cooper’s conditions difficult couple doggies thats it ,how did you go S/S any joy yr end ,will try again in morning
    I catch almost all my elle’s on squid followed by cooked prawn
    Planning a trip to Bayleys this thursday evening weather and sea permitting be nice to get a elle or two.

yellowfin
    Participant

ss best thing you can do when you see him again is take pictures and details like the name and number of the boat and phone the number in my last post. let them deal with it…it may be a is committed , or not, but but if you go abusing fishermen on the wharf your highly likely to regret you decision! i know some of those guys too…. :wink:

yellowfin
    Participant

0800 476 224 put it in your phone.

no reply from the fishery’s officer …i’ll try again tomorrow!

shark slayer
    Participant

no luck for me either,a good dump rolling in,easterly was a pain lots of crab action aswel but i shal pesivere might have a shot at dawn in the morning..

shark slayer
    Participant

wasnt planning on abusing them ollie was just going to find the skipper of the boat and let him know he is being watched and will be reported in the hope that may deter him from raping and pilaging the coastline..couldnt give a shit about intimidation games what they are doing is disgusting and there is no need for it.the bastard didnt have a name or number that i could see..need to get some binoculaurs altho to be honest the authorities that police these tossers are a total waste of space and couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.anyhow went out this eve…conditions were bad with a strong cold easterly blowing..just a doggy and a male rig around 12lb.gonna switch to trying at dawn,wont be tommorrow tho forecast is for 50 knots of northerly.

yellowfin
    Participant

i wasn’t worried about you abusing them ss…..more the other way round,they’re a tough bunch!! and getting a hiding wont solve anything……you’re better off being absolutely 100% positive your accusations are correct (are you 100% positive it wasn’t a dredge?) then start by gathering proof (pictures,dates, places, names) and then, taking it up with fishery’s. if that fails….go to your mp…..and finally, the press.

shark slayer
    Participant

i knew what you meant ollie and i couldnt care how tough they are and i certainly wouldnt be going down on my own …even if they were dredging wich they wernt what do you think that would do to the eles spawning habitat!?it would destroy the females capsules and ruin this seasons spawning.females only lay 2 capsules per year so they just cant handle overfishing and spawning destruction like that.anyhow lets leave it..the forecast is looking better beamer could be worth an evening shot i reckon.

shark slayer
    Participant

perfect conditions tonight..had a hit on the change of light..was hoping it was my first ele of the season but it had rig written all over it and yeap once i got it in the breakers i saw the distinctive spots of a rig,a male around8lb..oh well i shal keep plugging away,think an early morning sesh is the order for tommorrow

beameer
    Participant

Heading off to taumutu (off white bridge)soon as wind drops easing up now will keep you posted ,bitching wind here all day

chchlandbased
    Participant

Prick of a wind. Got a small ele and a dogfish tonight along from Bayleys

shark slayer
    Participant

what part did you fish mate?didnt see anyone all evening.went down at dawn this morning for an hour nothing happening.

chchlandbased
    Participant

Spot X. LOL nah I have caught nothing lately at the DOC access carpark area, but have picked up a few eles and rig further south , a lot further south :wink:
    Was using tuatua last night.

beameer
    Participant

Fished taumutu from 5am wind finally eased didn’t touch a thing very dissapointing sea a little dirty but perfect for rig fresh crab cooked prawn squid tryed the lot ,rakaia high again perhaps there’s to much fresh water around ??who knows

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.