2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Dazza is up at Kaikoura , started fishing last night
    He’s burleying up large , and caught nothing but a few kahawai …

Quite possible the commercial guys got wind of all the gurnard caught at last weeks comp and they dropped past to rape the beach clean …

Mind you , the solar lunar calander does rate today/yesterday as bad fishing …last Sunday was excellent ..

Coincident or foul play ? ..or both ..

Next mission will likely be somewhere just Nth of Kekerengu – or maybe an isolated spot along Napenape

elmo22
    Participant

went to kaikoua this weekend and got lots of fish, will go to the non surfcasting post and tell my story,, just a bit worried that i dont know what to say about the fish i caught……was it sea perch or scarpees lol the other fish i know what they are :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down to the big shark this morning, fished over high tide. Its been a couple of years since I been on a shark trip, and many of the larger rocks have been covered in gravel which is a pleasant development. The water was dirtier then I like it in close, and the clean water was to far offshore to cast to. The fishing was slow with only 3 small school shark over high tide.

I have also decided to use two piece rods instead of three, they are much quicker to transport. With my three piece rods I had to break them down to transport which was times consuming. Would probably buy another 12ft 2- piece to go with my Backbone Elite and Sonik… Would probably keep my three piece rods just in case.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went fishing again in Nelson today. Plenty of small Snapper around legal size being caught but nothing much bigger. I got a couple of Big Spotties so decided to cook them up and surprisingly they are actually very good eating.

fishforpot
    Participant

was it sea perch or scarpees lol

Dont get that pissing contest started again , the bleating has only just stopped lol

Still waiting for your report …I had the weekend off fishing ….gunna get out during the week hopefully
    Dazza caught 2 kahawai and 3 skate and fished his dick off ….he agrees , could be the Cuzzie bro calander and commercial raping to fault

shark slayer
    Participant

well done troutfisher..haha yea lets not go there…had a non productive but fun day today..went down to the sevengill hole..nothing for a while then started getting bites and the rod bent over and stayed bent..not moving though,wtf is going on here i thought.pulled hard and it felt like a snag..pulled harder and it came free..something was on and it was heavy and the rod was bent but no fight..gave a good jerk on the rod and a huge 3kg plus cray came flying out of the water..off the hook it came and that was as close as i got..bugger!then hooked into a massive sevengiller..i was using a 1200d baitrunner with 50lb braid locked up the drag and still couldnt stop the fucker..went on a huge run and then busted me off..tried again got another one on..another unstoppable run..was gonna get spooled so locked it up with my hand and the hook pulled..casted out again and hooked another one i forgot i still had the drag cranked all the way up and it busted off..only trace i had so had to call it quits..went for a moki sesh ecause my spot is only 5 mins from the giller spot..got a big wrasse first cast..2nd cast i thought i had the biggest moki but it was just a rig around 15lb on cooked prawn..was scrappy as nearly pulled me off the rocks..only had one bait left so casted out..the moki should be here any second i thought as it was coming into prime time (dusk)just as i thought that the rod bent over and a moki was on ran to the rod and engaged the drag but i was to slow and it did what moki love to do and reefed me..was the only trace i had so headed home..the fish won the battle today but tommorrow i will win the war!! :) its a gnarly spot that one its only fishable for two hours of the tide and your rod holder is half a meter in the water and i have to wade through knee deep water to get to my rod…here are some of todays photos..

the rig was released..

Polwarth
    Participant

I had a great day with the kids fishing from the wharf at Lyttleton catching bait for our / my next big day out. I had forgotten the great fun that you can have with the water full of fish all feeding around the hook.

I brought the kids a small spin set each and they managed to get a couple each, with plenty of help.

I was surprised that with only one fishing point that there were so many fish to be had, and that after 12 odd years away from fishing the same tricks we used back then still worked.

Now I need to get away to Birdlings flat with my prawns and my mullet to see what I can catch. Any suggestions as to which part of the beach is more productive?

shark slayer
    Participant

strait off the car park and all that area there will produce rig and kahawai the odd sevengiller etc but bayleys beach is way more productive..when you turn off the main road go strait down bayleys road and keep following it until it turns left eventually on the gravel..follow that to the carpark and there is a walkway to bayleys beach…went out this morning no moki got there a bit late but managed a blue cod for lunch on cooked prawn..yummy

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey shark slayer , I have a had a couple of fishes at the wharanui spot you mentioned a while back.Lots of nibbles but no moki only a dreaded wrasse or two.Tried mussel for bait and tuatua and cooked prawn.No crays landed either.Did you have your success there during the day or is night time the best.?Also had a go just south of ward beach.Again only wrasse and a few sacrifices of sinkers and hooks to the rocks.Any tips on bait and what time would be appreciated.Im sick of rig now , caught so many need more challenge and boy the moki are just that.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Always found change of light best for Moki, followed by night, then during the day.

HIPP
    Participant

Wow, you guys have been busy since I last checked in, we still up here so it was a bugger to miss you milli, s/s did you get the 7gillers in the spot you took us too and the cray too? bugger you didn’t get to keep it. Well done the rest of you guys. Nice to see a report from Nelson, no more snapper yet, round in the Keneperu sound now, something had a good run on my line last night , felt like a snapper but took me to ground and bust me off. Taken the kids fishing yesterday and today, Kahawai small and the old Spottie, bit of fun for them, I’m about to go out now and have one last crack at the snapps before he adding home tomorrow, fingers crossed, cheers, hipp

Home now, no more action last night, was hard leaving an awsome spot today,called in to the slipway at havlock on my way home to eat yet another of the awsome mussell pies on offer at the cafe,and have one last look, before finishing the drive home….back to Canterbury fishing now,any Eleies left boys?, cheers, Hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

yea hipp the secret spot :wink: the only spot i would fish at ward socky is either side off the offshore reef halfway between the chancet and were the rocky coastline stops to the north…to get the crays at wharenui you need squid or fish baits 6-7/0 hooks and bind the bait on…there bites just look like wrasse bites leave it until your line goes slack or strike at good bites..you have to be really gentle bringing them in or you will loose them every time…as for the moki your baits are good cooked prawn and mussel are the go..fish the changes of light from 7.30-10pm or 5.00am-7.30am i never really fish night or day..keep a good eye on your baits/rod tip and make sure your bait hasn’t been picked out because moki are funny you can sit there for 2 hours and get nothing then all of a sudden you can land 2 or 3 in ten minutes then they go dead..they are a challenge you just have to be patient..good luck

shark slayer
    Participant

used burley on the gillers today..fished for mullet while i waited..was slow for a start then shitloads of mullet turned up once the burley really got going and the salmon oil was bubbling on the surface..then all of a sudden there were fins everywhere..counted 12 gillers swimming around..they were fighting each other for the fish chunks..you dont want to get between a giller and its food thats for sure haha..couldnt get them to take my bait after and hour so changed tactics..straylined out some half mullet sliced to release the blood out..hooked 3 lost 3 and i now hate suffix wind on leaders…entertaining but shit fishing..one of the gillers jumped clear of the water..was a cool sight

sevengiller
    Participant

Shark slayer where abouts was it where all these gillers were?

shark slayer
    Participant

my home bay giller..they are in all the banks peninsula bays..and harbours..the old man came out today..took him out on the boat..got some pauas..anchored up on the reef..hooked a large trumpeter and lost it right by the boat..bugger..wind came up so had to call it quits..has been a shit week for me..then the old man went for a dive to try and get one of those crays that i hooked..you know right in my giller spot..tried to warn him but he wouldn’t listen..”the sharks wont show up if you dont put bait in the water he says..so in he gets and i just sat there on a high rock waiting for a giller to show up..sure enough after 2 mins he went to dive down and then came shooting to the surface and swam full speed towards the rocks pale as a ghost…”a big fucken shark just swam at me he says..hahahaha he wont dive in there again!

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.