2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    croozer
    Participant

all good info there SS….I will add that I used to think that the perch’s spines were “over-rated”, and for 30 years I handled them(lots of them), without incedent. When I actually did get a real spining from one, by golly….I still remember the pain, and being a ways off-shore(miles), by myself, I also remember thinking I may have been in serious trouble…all in all, a very uncomfortable hour or so….also congrats on your fish, you seem to do ok

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers croozer..yea those spines can inflict some pain..not poisonis though..i got a moki fin spine in the end of my finger while filleting the other day..hurt like a bitch for a few hours and got a bit of swelling but the next day it was all good..went out for a wee fish last night..conditions were crap but had a few casts anyway..hooked a big moki on paddle crab but lost it in the breakers..i wasn’t aggressive enough and it got some slack line and that was it…have lost a few goodies now and havn’t had a big one yet this season but oh well hopefully next time

Miliwolf
    Participant

They are both sea perches. Here is a paper by L.J Paul and he refers to Helicolenus spp. as ‘sea perches’. So Helicolenus barathri and Helicolenus percoides [b:1k06rrl5]both[/b:1k06rrl5] are sea perches.

http://fs.fish.govt.nz/Doc/17631/1998%2 … D.pdf.ashx

a direct quote

[quote:1k06rrl5]”Sea perch” (in Australia “ocean perch”) includes the shallow water Helicolenus percoides and the deeper water H. barathri, the latter with geographical colour variants around New Zealand.

So this should be settled, either spcies can correctly be called sea perches.

He also explains other common names.
    [quote:1k06rrl5]In this account the term “sea perch” is used for both species. Where a single species is referred
    to, its scientific name is used. Separate common names are available, but their use is not
    uniform. The shallow water Helicolenus percoides is known variously as Jock Stewart (or
    Stuart) from its tartan-like colouring, highlander (similarly), scarpee (from scarpen for
    scorpion), scroddie (small worthless fish?), fivefinger (from the pectoral fin rays), soldier
    (supposedly from its ‘on guard’ appearance and brisk movements (Graham 1956)), and Maori
    chief (in common with other fishes, from its head markings). The deepwater H. barathri has
    been given the name bigeye sea perch by Paulin et al. (1989).

HIPP
    Participant

Well well, finally SNAPPER:)… Thank you to milli, you suggested a place to go which lined up with what 2 other people said and we got 5 keepers and a Few kahawai, We got 5 snapper to keep which we have since eaten and enjoyed. Snapper were all caught on anchovies they didn’t look at the pilleys or the fresh piper that we offerd them. This was night before last. Last night there were only kahawai to be had no snapps, different bag of anchovies and they looked more like small pillies than anything. See how we go over next coupla days, Havlock side still but dirty so thinking its back round to the Keneperu . Cheers again milli for your tips, cheers, hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah I also noticed anchovies looking a lot like small pillys……

HIPP
    Participant

First lot of anchovies were from portage second lot were the last bag at Havlock servo, I’ll try and get some more from portage when I move round to the next house in a couple of days, in the meantime ill try with what I have left. Cheers, Hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

you are using incorrect info from a pillock..scarpees and perch are two different fish with two different names that hang out in different depths and habitat..i will get the book and prove it to you..was to busy yesterday..how can you say two different fish both have the same name??like bastard red cod and red cod..calling them both red cod is wrong..school shark and rig..should we call them both school shark because they are related??anyway no point in banging my head against a brick wall…well done on the snapper there hipp..wishing i had of gone up now haha..got any photos??..sea is filthy and rough today gonna pop down and try the mustad circle hooks on the rig..im off

shark slayer
    Participant

oops i mean spottedlemonrigschoolboyfish!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

my bad didn’t look to see who you got that last bit of info off..didnt even read the links to be honest just paid attention to the fact that you are saying there is no such thing as a scarpee and they are both called perch..wich is wrong..you are getting species family names and the actual name of the fish confused mili..they are both from the perch family but are not both called perch..just like trumpeter and moki..moki are from the same family as trumpeter but calling moki trumpeter would be wrong…

from larrys book..i will write the facts in later..but there you have it a scarpee is called a scarpee..aperch is called a perch..dont mean to sound like an asshole but wrong facts irritate me..

yellowfin
    Participant

who really gives a shit though lol, this is surfcasting and both species are not really that commonly caught from beaches near here, move on

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went fishing off the Fishing Platform in Nelson this afternoon. My friend caught a large octopus and I lost a decent sized Kahawai on my Ultralight rod while fishing for Baitfish.

shark slayer
    Participant

do you get much snapper/gurnard in nelson trout fisher?went out myself last night..just a wee 11lb rig released..only got a shit phone photo no point in posting it…need another digi cam..bit of a southwester blowing this evening was gonna have a moki sesh but will leave it until the morning i think…got some whole fresh squid from new world today i think i will do some catch and release on the seven gillers tommorrow…

troutfishernz
    Participant

shark slayer

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went on a last minute snapper fish, first checked out Mahua Sounds but the wind would have made fishing unpleasant. So decided to back track to a old favorite which was the grove wharf. The small wharf was occupied when I arrived, which was fine with me because the best spot is off the beach a short distance from the wharf 8)

Got there just before low tide, and the fishing was slow (It has never really produced well over low). The highlight was a powerful running fish which broke my braided mainline on its run. Only one type of fish have achieved that before, although there must have been a weak spot in the braid. Might discard the first 50m or so, been using it for a couple of seasons….

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.