2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

get new zealand fish species by larry paul available in the library i beleive..he also has twenty plus years experience with the commercial sector..its funny how misinformation is passed on even so called authorities on wildlife like forest and bird talk shite

shark slayer
    Participant

or even easier..do a google image search for sea perch..the first photo shows the two species..the scarpee is the banded black and orange fish with the larger mouth perch are a uniform orange and almost red on the fins with a smaller mouth…

HIPP
    Participant

Good to see all of your posts, very interesting reading g. Made it up to the sounds yesterday, got here about2 pm. Down to the bay for a quick look, the bay it self not overly good but round to our right on the point didn’t look too bad to fish at low water, there wAs a wee bit of current running with the last two hours of out going tide to go, we ceased the opportunity for. Fish as the weather was closing in and forecast… Like you say shark slayer is shit ! So we flung out piper and pillli baits srayline style….. Fed the spotties for a while then They we t off the bite. All wAs quiet, then my rod started to bounce a bit and I launched myself towards it as it was now bending over….I was hoping not to slip on the wet rocks and smash into the oyster clad sharpness of what lay beneath me , I get to the rod and make sure it’s hooked with the hope of snapper in my mind I cRefully tighten the fairly loose set drag and start to put some pressure on The fish, by this time I could feel the persistant pull of what I thi k is a rAy/skate or such like, but dissapointed at this, I put some more pressure on the beast hoping to at least to retrive my hooks, but alass I applied too much pressure and ping! Off it went with my gear… Somewhat brief excitement none the less and has me pumped for my next opportunity. Just have to wait the heavy rain out and give it Another go, had a good feed of oysters while fishingwith the , very sweet and plentiful. Shame your not coming up s/s however with the forecast the wAy it is, proberbly the right call. I wi check back in after my. Ext stab at it, cheers. Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant
    fishforpot
    Participant

Here are the 12 gurnard my mate and I caught on Sunday , along with 1 of 3 kahawai ….weigh-in guys didnt come past for almost 3 hrs ….so the other 2 kahawai were a little worse for wear ….the gurnard I kept in ice in the chillybins …
    Hopefully I can upload the pic ok ….bare with me

Oh , there was a trevally caught as well …..barely legal Id say ..

Miliwolf
    Participant

You entered all of the Guranrds? I really only enter the heavier of the fish caught and either release or keep any of the lighter ones. Last year they only gave out a prize for the largest fish per entry, the guy down from me entered everything he caught but still only got one prize, so a lot of fish were killed needlessly.

I probably would not enter the Kaikoura competition again until they put measures in place to reduce the amount of fish which goes to waste. At least in the last few years they have been keeping the fish on ice, but these more which could be done.

fishforpot
    Participant

A few people won more than 1 prize , and last time I fished it me and the kids took home something like 9 prizes between us …
    None of our gurnard went to waste ….and anything worth eating was snapped up after those who caught fish took theirs from the bin …a bunch of kahawai wasted was a shame , but even those were taken for cray bait ….and lets face it, the locals who will use it for cray bait would have gone and caught kahawai for that purpose anyways ….
    I do agree tho , something like 1 prize per fisherman would help reduce waste ….

Miliwolf
    Participant

I would love to know what happens to the skates…. One of my favorite eating fish, but such a pain to prepare.

Personally I feel they should get rid of the minor prices, and increase the value of the first few place getters… For my 7th place last year I got a crap rod/reel which I doubt would ever get used. IMO would have been better for the top five fish to get decent prizes and for me to miss out on something I would never use.

Participant

Well done fishforpot on the gurnard, some nice size gurnard there.You will be stoked to get a nice haul of them for a decent feed

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff fishforpot on the fishing, much better than amblerly comp as far as fish caught

yellowfin
    Participant

Thomas you said the wharf had been quiet sat night, it was most of saturday as well, think the ray hanging around earlier had something to do with it, friday the wharf was alive with moki wrasse and the like

HIPP
    Participant

Spent most of the day fighting cabin fever it went to check out another possie today and the rain eAsed enough to have a go, another ray caught by my friend and landed this time. Photo to come she. I get home. The kids were on the d
    Spoties and got us a couple of small herring type fish for bait. No other action to speak of. WeAther looks better for to morrow, but the sound is full of dirty water from the river flood.we measured100ml over night. Not sure how the duty water will go. May shoot round to Keneperu again instead. Hope to report with bountif snapper soon lol. Cheers. Hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

wicked gurnard there ffp well done..need to head up for a shot just want a decent moki first..it sounds like we fish the same spot down old beach road….i find that whole stretch fishes way better than the likes of the railway beach…wanted to come up hipp but its a long way to go in shite weather..i have heard the snapper go right off the bite in southerlys but lets see what you can pull out in the next few days…here is mondays kahawai and moki…

shark slayer
    Participant

the top fish is a SCARPEE..the bottom fish is a PERCH…the top one is the one we all catch in large numbers inshore and everyone feels the need to call them perch wich they are not..forest and bird have a picture of a scarpee on there site and called it a perch because they are fucking idiots…the links you provided mili are also full of false information eg they have said the spines are venomous wich is bullshit but at least they called the right fish a perch…they also got the depths wrong but at the end of the day the point i am frustratingly trying to make is that perch and scarpees are two different species and scarpees are the ones commonly caught by recreational anglers and wrongly called perch.i will post photos of larry pauls pages on these two species tommorrow and once and for all prove the facts..and hopefully a couple of people can be educated into getting these two species names right.

shark slayer
    Participant

:roll:

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.