2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Kaikoura wharf from 10pm to just before midnight Saturday night. Fishing was very slow, although the bait was being stolen. Caught no fish worth mentioning.

fishforpot
    Participant

Kaikoura comp today , truck loads of fish caught ….nothing big on my part of the beach
    Around 50 gurnard caught all up ….mate and I caught 12 between us …
    More details to follow when I have time , and working on a pic
    15odd kilo stingray won it

yellowfin
    Participant

50 gurnard?! Must read up on how to catch them, thinking of going to Kaikoura again in a few weeks, just went there with the Ginga and two others and it was fun. The beach fishing produced more than the kayak fishing – I got a few rig and moki versus just one fat 40cm blue cod and millions of wrasse and a few small perch on the kayak from South bay, I’m guessing the good species are mostly fished out around there.

It sounds like the Gingas school shark from the day before may have been bigger than the winning fish.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Quite possible to catch Gurnard kayak fishing in South Bay, also seen trumpeter caught. Plus a few borderline blue cod. My best fishing there was last year when I got onto Ray bream a km or so out from South Bay. Today a few km out from South Bay I was getting perch every drop to the bottom (using slow Jig), the boaties nearby more often then not had double hook ups.

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds like we might not have been far out enough, I was with a couple of newbies so we were being pretty cautious.

fishforpot
    Participant

I’m only guessing the total number …saw a massive pile of fish back at the weigh in …..they kept everything on ice
    May have been only 30odd but closer to 50 would be my guess….. mixed in with way over 100 fish it’s hard to tell ….
    I can tell you that most of the fish were taken down behind the shops ….

shark slayer
    Participant

no worries oompaloompa..what jig were you catching the scarpies(what everyone calls perch)on mili??and what jigs did you get your rays bream on??..tried a new moki spot the other day..no moki just a big ass maori cheif and got a nice blue cod in the dark??
    will try again there for moki i am pretty sure it will produce..went to another spot this morning an a got a nice moki around 7.00am..will post pick later..might go out for a boat fish for a change..finally got my new sounder fitted..trumpeter will be the target species but dont know if the water is clean enough..

Miliwolf
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

scarpees and sea perch are two different species..that is the mistake everyone makes..the difference is subtle but discernable..alot of people will also tell you the spikes on them are toxic wich is also bulls#hit..i reckon they are just as good to eat as blue cod..they also have another cousin the scorpionfish but they are much easier to distinguish…wrong names for fish irritate me because as a kid i wanted to be a marine bioligist and read many a book on fish bioligy and behaviors…one person starts a rumour or wrongly names a fish and then it catches on…any how cheers for the advice on the jigs…hey hipp i got your pm..i sent you a txt hopefully you got it..i have decided not to go to the sounds because the weather is shit and i have to many things i want to do first..i think i will try for a snapper later in the year maybe march good luck tho hipp we await tall tales and big fish…here is this mornings moki caught on mussel…

shark slayer
    Participant

my favourite moki hooks now are 6/0 mustad circle hooks they hook up really well and are easy to bind prawn and mussel to and the barb sits nice and exposed..gonna give cooked prawn a shot and see if the moki like it..i think it will slow the pickers down..

troutfishernz
    Participant

shark slayer

yellowfin
    Participant

shark slayer  scarpees and sea perch are two different species..that is the mistake everyone makes..

http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/what-we … ch/scarpee

elmo22
    Participant

went fishing with fishforpot and couple of others fisho just before xmas to his x spot good spot alright thanks for that fishforpot,he has posted a while back what we got.. Went over the west coast to Mokihinu up past westport for xmas hoildays to there 10 day fishing comp, arrived day before xmas was fine and hot set up camp site and had to wait for boxing day to start the comp..day 1 up at 4.30am and of fishing day was fine and the sea as flat as it could be, we (wife and me) got a few fish the biggestwas a rig over 4.3kg .. day 2 much the same time and conditions but this time got 2 snapper the biggest was 3.8kg day 3 got to the beach 6.00am great conditons again got more fish the biggest rig over 4kg. we fished early moring and late afternoon till sunset for four days and was getting worn out, luck would have it that we had rain and then heavy rain and then thunder storms,winds etc, that was the end of our fishing we came home early by 3 days thats the coast…I did have my name on the board 5 times and the wife 1 time, but as some fished in the rain before it got to bad and dirty we didnt and some got fish and my name dissappeared tiwce and so did the wifes,,but over all that a great time the 4 days we fish … I won 2 heavist fish of the day and runner up for heavist fish over all .. got the biggest snapper that i have ever caught so cant complain about the fishing

shark slayer
    Participant

good stuff elmo well done on the snaps…6/0 is perfect for moki..you avoid most of the undersized fish..everyone thinks they have small mouths but them big moochers open up wide..the bigger ones 5lb and over can swallow a paddle crab with ease..same with the ele’s in the fishing mags so called experts who have probably never caught an ele will tell you they have tiny mouths and to use 1/0..i use 6-7/0 and never really losefish because they are hooked properly in the cheek..went out tonight ..1 kahawai smallish it still had spots..yum..a red cod and 2 moki kept one put one back..got one on mussel the smaller on cooked prawn..

shark slayer
    Participant

by the way mate..forest and bird are idiots scarpees and perch are two different species they are saying scarpee is another name for perch..yes people use that name for them..wrongly..perch are deep sea 250m and deeper over the shelf hence why they are caught as bycatch when trawling..get a book by any reputable marine bioligist and you will find out i am right..

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.