2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

unfortunately they dont make cellphones that are idiot proof mili..haha.have gone through a few cellphones and digi cams in the last year..i need a new cam but am afraid to buy one..cheers hipp..i hope to be up in the kenepuru at that time..i will see how i go..every now and then moki are caught on open beaches with no sign of foul in the area..i suspect they are moving area and feeding up on the way..i meant your ele ginga….saw it on sanz

Miliwolf
    Participant

But they do make them waterproof which helps a lot when you drop them in the sea.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I think Sundays forecast is to good for surfcasting, going to head offshore after tuna and ray bream 8)

shark slayer
    Participant

i thought you were giving me shit mili..didnt realise you can actually get water proof cellphones haha..must invest in one once i have wrecked this one…rays bream are an awesome fish..i see you got some last year mili..you going to kaikoura i assume..in the yak??how far out do you go and do you jig them or bait fish for them..they hang out in schools sort of mid water and are pretty aggressive..want to catch my first one this year..went out for a moki this evening..they were on the bite strait away..caught a small spotty..re casted wich was hard in the wind..had a big bow in my line and started getting hits..wound up the slack till i could feel the breakout sinker..ingaged the baitrunner an went to sit down..just as i did this the rod buckled hard over like someone who just got kicked in the balls..i ran to the rod and just as i got to it line started pouring off the reel..i should have let it run a bit but in my excitement i engaged the drag early..i was hooked up but i felt the fin spines rub against the braid and then my heart sunk as i felt it go pop….FU55FU&&FUC$ BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER..by the feel of the fish it was easily over 10lb..i was gutted but i only have myself to blame..i knew i should have put a nylon leader on the end of my braid..i will do that tonight and head back out in the morning..i definitely have moki fever now!!

shark slayer
    Participant

out this morning at 5am..fish were on the bite strait away..got a spotty..then two big fat wrasse,then got hit by a good moki but dropped it..then hooked up again but the hook wasn’t set properly and i lost that one aswell..ran out of bait so i started packing up but then spotted a tiny peice of mussel i had dropped..so i chucked that on in a last desperate attempt..the bait was so small it was comical…casted it out and got some hits then it went dead..baits gone i thought so went to wind in and then the rod went over and a nice wee moki was landed..will go home now and eat it while i complain about the other 3 good moki i have lost since last night :razz:

Miliwolf
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

be interesting to see how you get on mili good luck..if you have success it should motivate me to go up there and try jig some up…here is todays moki…

shark slayer
    Participant

havn’t received your pm hipp…

HIPP
    Participant

Nice Moki action, sounds like fun…..I will have to give that a go some time too….I will PM you again, I sent one to Miliwolf and he got it okay..Ill try again, cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

Got to Kaikoura this morning at 6.55am …drove into the creek I used to access the beach last time and found about a foot and a half more water in it ….I entered at a different point and couldnt see the logs that were stopping us making any headway so ended up feeling my way on foot clearing it as my mate drove forward ….that was a bit of fun early in the adventure lol

Caught 5 gurnard , 1 a throwback
    1 red cod
    1 crab
    1 small carper shark
    4 v.small schoolies ……1 small schoolie , 1 just takable schoolie I threw back and 1 schoolie around 20-22lb
    2 skate
    No doggies and no kahawai ……crabs were not present until well after lunch …2ish in fact…

Got a nagging feeling I forgot a fish ….never mind …..
    Might head back Sunday and try to catch the biggest fish of the day for the 3rd time only to win second place lol

shark slayer
    Participant

well done on the gurnard there ffp..have you heard of a camera??haha be good to see some pics..got your pm hipp and sent you atxt so you should have my number..cheers.now to decide what fishing should be done today…

yellowfin
    Participant

Whats everyone’s preferred conditions for surf casting at Birdlings flat ? Ive been told its good when there’s a nor’west wind and a nice swell but whenever i go i don’t catch a thing lol

fishforpot
    Participant

Kids stole mine , and I cant fathom how to load them onto the PC via my phone ,let alone onto the net lol ….

Will see if my mate can take him camera to Kaiks tomorrow …will be targeting sharks etc so mightnt catch any carrots ……

oompalompa
    Participant

shark slayer

yellowfin
    Participant

just returned from a trip to the kaikoura region, started at conway on thursday night with a few small schoolies and doggys around then it went dead, well into dark i landed a small ele and rig and a mate got two rig, also got snapped off by something of very large size and swimming very fast, no way i were stopping it,
    Got up friday morning and headed to kaikoura, stopped at oaro on the way as they were huge kahawai schools out there, though out of casting distance,
    Carried onto kaikoura where we fished the wharf most of the day getting a mixed bag of moki 3 legal 4 undersize ,wrasse kept a few to give a try, pretty tasteless ,mullet,kahawai,mackeral,tarakihi, then we headed to south bay for an evening fish as north was very weedy , south bay i got some mullet another small moki and loads of small red cod, woke up this morning and the others went for a kayak fish where they got some blues and wrasse, i fished whale watch and picked up 3 schoolies one was about 9 lb the other 12lb and one would be 40-50lb , the rest of the day consisted of a few carpet sharks few congers couple doggys amd skate, annd a few more moki, went back to the wharf where i got more spotties tarakihi and a small moki, was very quiet and had a funny feeling something was hanging around the n we spotted a small ray maybe 30kg swimming on the surface trying to get a wrasse we filleted, also got a small undersize, (1cm undersize) butterfish,

Was an enjoyable weekend , not huge numbers of fish but hey shit happens

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.