2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

well done elmo..first for the season??..using a rig with a sliding trace and and crimps for stoppers is not superior…the whole point in that setup is that you dont have to strike..the fish pick up the bait..feel no resistance..run with the bait then it hits the stopper(crimp)and self hooks just like a longline,no need to strike..but using it surfcasting has no benefit because the trace sits agianst the stopper because of the angle so its no different than a ledger rig apart from being overly complicated for no gain in my opinion…striking to hard just means your enthusiastic..haha..the old man does it to and he catches just as much as me only its more comical..when the surf is low the rig just toy with the baits..they do it in the bay here all the time..you have to stand by your rod and lightly strike when they pick it up..went for a moki fish tonight,,the end result was a few cold beers and 3 red cod..one hit the bait as it was sinking after the cast..gonna put in some more time towards moki and move away from the eles now..might try for a salmon aswell maybe..big bird workups out here at the moment should really be trying for a kingi..

fishforpot
    Participant

You assume the fish always swim AWAY with the bait slayer ..they may swim towards you or even along a little, then the sliding rig may help a little …..
    It’s possible he had more hits “not hookups” because of it …just as likely tho – it was because a lot of the time he was using 2 rods instead of 1 lol ……elmo and I used 1 rod each …ginga had 2 but 1 with fish bait
    I cant imagine ever bothering with that type of setup tho ……..but the one used at Kaikoura had merit ..
    It used a running rig over a far greater distance , it worked similar to the casting latch on the sinker idea without any special sinker and also used a small float to lift the bait off the bottom away from crabs …
    He puts a lot of time into rigging up …I’m interested to see what other ideas he comes out with.

shark slayer
    Participant

works the same wether they swim in or out……depends what species you fish for aswell..9 times out of ten eles will smash the bait and swim away with the bait…i wouldnt bother with anything other than a ledger rig..everything hooks up so why bother with anything else…but hey use whatever works for you..the only other thing i want to use off the beach is a livebait suspended on a trace under a balloon..really need to get motivated and try it..thats when you get the really big schoolys and the possibility of threshers etc..hey mili i forgot to tell you..if you want an easier moki spot go to wharenui..you know where that is right..2 mins south of the ure…follow the hagard sign that says “beach” follow that road and when you get to the first off track on the right go down there and the spot is strait off that carpark…just follow the drivetrack strait down to the beach..its the easiest spot ever its about a minutes walk from the car..productive for moki and you get crays on the rod during the day if you use squid or fish bait..went there during the day on my trip last week and got 3 crays on the surfcaster..you only need short casts..50-6o meters

Miliwolf
    Participant

So basically where the red arrow is?

“>

Never fished there before, looks shallow and dirty. ALthough it does look good for Moki.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went for a fish near Nelson this evening, very quiet. only excitement for the evening was seeing a huge stingray in the shallows and watching some guy catch a small Snapper.

shark slayer
    Participant

yeap right there mili.nice eep dropoff into productive water.just went for a fish with hipp and oompaloompa..fished for about 2 hours..nice night i got 3 rig and dropped one due to knot failure..hipp got a nice 20plus lber and that was enough for him as he has work tommorrow..poor old oompaloompa didnt get hooked up but its all good he will get one next time..no photos as we didnt have cameras but they were all nice fish 3 20 plus pounders and one around 16lb..the sevengillers came and said hello..fun night cheers guys :)

HIPP
    Participant

Thank you Shark Slayer, you have restored my faith that I can catch fish if they are there, Very good of you to show us where to go and share some local knowlage….bit tired this morning I must say, after getting back to the house and fillieting the fish. Up and away early thismorning arrived at work half an hour early lol.
    maybe we will catch up when i go to the sounds get you that first Snapper!

looking forward to my next fishing trip now that my faith is restored.

cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

Baileys this morning ….spot-X ….
    Around 7 rig , biggest was maybe a shade of 16lb …all but a 12lber went back ..
    Half a dozen schoolies , nothing of any size ..
    1 elephant fish ……
    Finally caught the bugger who’s been sneaking in without the cockies permission …it was his bloody uncle lol …

Edited to add – Dazza was fishing to the South of us , he caught 6-7 rig and half a dozen schoolies , 3-5lb , an 8lber and 12lber …also got bitten off twice , one by something with some serious gas ..no sign of ele’s and he was fishing hard with tuatua ..mullet were cleaning it up tho ….
    I fished with paua with no luck either , Croozer got the ele on prawn …he was Johnny on the spot no doubt

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished birdlings main beach yesterday, nothing on crab or tuatua, saw one ele landed along with about 30 dogs 20 of which were mine, i also got 3 schoolies and saw a few others caught, one conger lost in the surge, bit/snapped off the hook (someone else caught) Was sitting back enjoying the sun when i looked out too sea and saw a load of splashing going on and realized it was a giller and my line was dead slack, sadly it got wrapped in my leader somewhere and it snapped off, at the same time people 2-300m from me towards the rocks were hooked up so i went down to see them and tried to give them advice as they didnt really know what was going on they also lost theirs after 5-10min with out sight of the fish, i kept one schoolie sadly as it had 2 10/0 hooks down its throat unable to get them, out, was about 5-6lb

yellowfin
    Participant

Haven’t posted here for a while. Haven’t been fishing anywhere near as much as last season, just can’t put in the hours I used to and I guess it shows as I haven’t caught much this season. Have stopped going after rig for the last month or so just putting the occasional crab bait out. Fished Lyttelton a few times and caught a few small seven gillers, small schoolies, small congers and landed one small ray.

http://youtu.be/jmfG0529xoY

Here’s a video of the ray I hooked and lost 1.5 hours later, had me running after it and ended up quite a way from where I hooked it. Some guy had cast over my line and was mucking around trying to get it untangled with both our lines in the weed in front of the rocks then my reel just started absolutely screaming, wish I could have got the first run on video. I hooked it on my lighter setup with 20lb line (500 meters braid + 300 meters mono) and spinning reel which meant with the drag on full I didn’t get any line back for nearly an hour. I managed to get it within around 50 meters of the rocks before it took off again and by then I had been hooked for well over an hour so locked the drag right up knowing I was either gonna stop it or snap off so there it ended exactly 1.5 hours after I hooked it and I didn’t even get to see it. Had I hooked it on my proper setup (Daiwa Saltist 50 boat reel with 500 meters 50lb braid + 200 meters 30lb mono) it could’ve been a different story. I’d be confident landing almost anything including large seven gillers etc on 20lb with no problem but rays are just a different story and you need the extra drag, line capacity and pulling power. The smaller ray I landed after I got back and set up took 5 – 10 minutes to land which puts the other one into perspective.

HIPP
    Participant

Great to see you back Zac, good to see you been getting out, We went to Amberly beach last night, got there just on high tide, my friend got a nice Rig on crab, sea calmed down after tide change and nothing else happend upto 11pm pulled the pin.

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a cast yesterday, managed 6-7 schoolies 6-7 doggys 3 skate and a sevengiller, was a good day except when the wind picked up and sand blasted me, spend about 5 hours fishing

shark slayer
    Participant

good stuff on the rays there zac..gonna start targeting them myself..have wanted to catch one for ages but never put the time in..what bait do you use??i know squid and everything works but just wondered if anything in particular is more productive…have heard that they will take crab?went down to bayleys the other day just because i was going past anyway..just 4 rig biggest around 22lb no sign of ele’s but i didnt care ive had enough this season anyway..was random though there was about 25 gurnard bodies on the beach..fresh aswell either from earlier that day or the night before..wtf i didnt think you got gurnard there..maybe it was the longliners..a few were tiny and would have been under sized but there were a couple of goody’s…heres one i took a photo of..

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds commercial as there was a tuna washed up as well

troutfishernz
    Participant

Just got back from fishing the back Beach near Nelson, Got a couple of small pannie Snapper and some small Greyboys. Had something big probably a Ray hit my bait and pull off some line but failed to hook up.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.