Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Last night myself and St_Paul went for a evening fish in the Mahau sounds. Arrived around 6pm to a head wind, luckily it died down to a nearly still sea after dark. The fishing was slow to begin with, we tried a bit of fly fishing and donated a few flies to the mussel beds. Shortly after that I landed a Pannie and then St Paul got a smaller one… Catching slowed through dusk and only picked up again after dark. I caught 2-3 more Pannies and St Paul landed another. Was a bit surprised to find the time was 10:30pm when we got back to the car.

St_Paul
    Participant

Good company always make the time fly :-)
    I lost count of how many bites I missed! Have got some of those hooks you recommended mili so will have to give it a crack in a couple of weeks when the tides are back to low on dusk.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey does anyone know where to get pipi and tua tua for bait?

HIPP
    Participant

Rockinghorse road, all the info is in previous topics, have agood read through, most of the questions youve had can be awnserd there many times over, happy reading and good luck, Hipp

mulletman
    Participant

ashworths beach near amberly, u cant go wrong

yellowfin
    Participant

mulletman

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks guys :grin:

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Went out along the beach last night to spot X..with prawn..no takes but lovely sunset..heres a piccy of a beach regular day before yesterday fighting a 7 giller..after nearly an hour it broke off -bloke was getting tired fish wasnt… :grin:

Anonymous
    Inactive

haha i was there that day saw him fighting something so that was you on the 4whell birdlings ?me and a mate were down a bit further :grin: no luck tho back up to kiakoura 2moro wahoo

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup..Im off down the beach to have another go..cheers

St_Paul
    Participant

Just back from a business trip to kaikoura.
    Fished off the beach behind the aspen court motel from 5 til dark. No hits at all on the rod with prawns on it. The rod with mullet got a large skate, a large doggy, a carpet shark and a big Gurnard (Yum!!)
    Then went and fished the wharf til about 11 got 3 Moki unfortunately none legal (1 x 1cm short!) and a bizarre looking thing like a spotty gurnard with 2 sets of pectoral fins, meaty spikes on the back of its head!

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi st paul,I was the guy you talked to for a while at Hapuka,Kaikoura.Saw a guy catch a nice blue cod off the beach at south bay,on way home.
    Hooked only one KY and lost it.But had a good snoop around.I”ll be back.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Nothing much down the beach..spent an hour or two down past Bayleys with squid and shrimp..suspect crab would do well for bait..Update on the crab catching device!!may be good for wharves but no luck on the beach so far… :grin:

St_Paul
    Participant

Hey Socky,
    Always nice to meet another forum member. went back up to the sawdust pits and had a couple casts with the spinning rod, hooked 1 good size kahawai but lost it when it jumped. Will be back down next month but normally find by April the fishing starts to tail off.

mulletman
    Participant

St_Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.