Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Finally bought a crab pot and went out to south shore today at low tide. Managed to snag a few and got some tua tua while I was there, but the crab pot I got has rather large holes, all the smaller ones (good bait size) were wriggling through everytime I lifted it. Is there any where I can go that will have larger crabs? These all seemed quite small. Might have to sell this pot and buy one with a smaller mesh size…

St_Paul
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

Summary for 5 days in kaikoura.

Congers, skate off the railway station beach. Greg got a small ray.

Congers were just a pest at the beach taking all my baits before anything else, can’t even remember how many I got.

barracouta, congers, herrings, kahawai, moki, butterfish, blue cod etc off the wharf

Spent a night over at south bay as well only herrings and kahawai around during the day although a guy got a nice sea run trout just on dark. Loads of red cod around at night but that was it.

Most of us got no fish at the competition today. Only one in our group to get a fish was andrew/piermaster with a conger skate and dogfish. He got 2nd and 3rd prize and another one for the doggie. Winning fish was a bigger conger. Lots of moki weighed in, a few octopus and a big salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea wasnt overly great fishing was it zac? although the butterfish did taste nice

Hardy
    Participant

Well my first post on this thread. Nine Mile Beach Westport. Out by Tauranaga Bay, not that far from Cape Foulwind. Decided buggar the snapper, that are pretty thin on the ground at the moment. I am going to go target Rig. Used to live at Tauranaga Bay and would set a net in the Bay by the rocks in picture, low tide setting.
    Would get around eight or nine rig or Greyboy a Set. Big fella’s too. I would only set the once, and that was it for another month. Would do the Pensioners rounds after I had freezed a bit down for my family. I am glad the net ban came in, some guys were just killing the Rig over here. Had some raw whole Prawns in the Freezer, so out they came. Arrived about 1pm high tide at 3.27pm. Two rods out. !.30pm first Rig hit the Beach, a small fella, but takeable. Then about half an later a double hit, two rods over at once. Being on my own, it was one rod first, then the other. Two more takeables. But Mummy Rig has to be out there somewhere. Had to wait a bit though.
    Around 3.30pm she arrived, and wham went my rod. Tried to take me into the rocks, but I put the brakes on her. And then she was beached. Nice Mrs Mummy Rig, well over a metre and a fat little filly she was too.

Txted my two ole mates who were at North Beach, Westport, and had only caught a kahawai and some Yems. Rig for tea boys call in home, in half an hour.

Mmmmm think I might target Rig more often. Easier than Sun Fish and Manta Rays. And caught in clean water, on a sunny day. Time I had a wee gloat with my two ole mates.

Cheers Trev

elmo22
    Participant

keep doing that and you wont have any old mates lol well done but we dont want you people from buller coming over here to show us up keep to sun fish when you come over here and we will make sure its cloudy and no sun us east coasters dont like to be beaten by west coasters lol did you catch it on one of your home made bing

yellowfin
    Participant

Some random pics I took at kaikoura, mostly congers.. I think I caught over 10 with I think 3 being at the wharf. The night I got the congers at the wharf there must’ve been lots around, baits were getting hit as soon as it hit the bottom and even getting hits as I was winding up. Greg lost a good size one that night as well. Was sending big baits out off the beach using the slide method like whole octopus and half big kahawai, baits woulda been over 1kg. Congers were taking them big baits with ease could hardly believe it, think next time it’s gonna be half congers I’m putting out for bait.

Gregs octopus

Small moki

Butterfish caught between me and greg, I got the biggest one at the bottom. They were everywhere after a guy at the wharf put a berley cage down with paua guts etc in it.

Competition day

The congers were a pest for me every day apart from competition day when I actually wanted one but that always seems to be the way.. Also surprising I didn’t see a single seven giller the whole time I was there, usually I’d expect to catch one at this time of year.

Squid didn’t seem to be around at the wharf like they were last year, saw a few small schools of 4 or 5 but nothing like the hundreds that were around one weekend last year. Last few times I’ve been up there I’ve also seen big squid swimming around just by themselves but I’m pretty sure they’re a different species than the smaller ones.

Saw lots of fish swimming around the last night we spent at the wharf that looked a lot like mackerel but they weren’t taking any baits.

Hardy
    Participant

Well Elmo

The Poranui Prawnerator accounted for two of the smaller rig. But as I had a whole prawn on the hook, guess I will never know. Might slide it up the trace a bit and see how well it does on its own. Might have to soak it Prawn Juice first tho :grin: And yep pretty good for a day time catch I reckon. That Nine Mile beach here is a rig and greyboy paradise. But it also a most loved surfing spot. Most days its around two metres. The lads paddle out right by that rocky peninsula, and on occassions I have caught a surfie, true. Rod goes over, I rush to it to strike. Surfie head comes up. I slacken off. He untangles, gives me a wave. And we are all sweet. One day I caught a real nice sheila. Was just starting to wimd her in, when buggar I lost her. In a northerly that little bay is like a placid lake, and a couple of hundred yards down the beach, the surfies are creaming the two to three metre swells. It was Rons pic I used to show where I was. I put him onto the place. But he wasnt using prawns that day.

He got into prawns at the Comp and landed about 4 rig. Was telling me so I decided right I will give them another try. Once again. They are a mission to tie on, and then if the crabs are about, they last two tics. Well not today. So I see more Rigging at the Nine Mile coming my way.

Right I will dig up a coupl;e of pics, one mine and the other Rons catch.

Pic One. Rons couple of Kahawai. I added the Captions

The Placid Lake. Right where I was today. Just a wee rock from the peninsula on the upper right.

Cheers Trev

elmo22
    Participant

yeh i was using prawn a coulpe of years ago at mokinui and got a rig nice big one on prawn and ron got a blue shark he got the fish of the day prize bugger and he asked what i used and i said prawn he hadnt heard of that before as a bait for rig but over here it was just a new thing that people on here were using.. seams to work well a times.. you can teach an old dog (ron) new tricks lol meant in a nice way

Hardy
    Participant

And just to show you, yep that flys do work.

Nine mile Beach, Westport, exact same place I was fishing in today. And yep 2010. Feb to be exact. See this thread hasnt been edited yet :grin: its still 2010 catches. So I sneak in. But maybe todays catch is disqualified being 2011.

Fly. Red, green white. 1/0 Gammy Recurve.

Greyboy. About 4 foot.
    The brill I found in its guts was about 6 inches long by 6 inches wide.

Cheers Trev

Hardy
    Participant

As a footnote. I just love recurve hooks. One: they self catch and most of the time your rod is in the holder when the fish hits. And 2: When you catch the toothy ones, very sharp toothy ones. Well a recurve will always get them in the side of the jaw. And fish dont have teeth there. I use 60lb traces as a bonus. Take a look inside Mr Greyboys mouth, to see what I mean. Works for me anyway. Never had a hook bit off yet. Played a large unknown shark for an hour one day. Saw him in the wash, got him beached, on my shock leader (60lb) He ran again, I was on 6kg mainline he got it back and wham. I had my drag tightened up as soon as I had a couple of winds of shock leader on my spool, so to hold him in the waves. He was a thrashing about like a madman. When he ran and took me back to my mainline, I rushed to adjust the drag. To late. He was the better one on the day. Trev Nil. Shark 1. About 8 feet long, So all my spectators reckoned. I was to busy fighting the buggar to take a good look. That was on a 4/0 recurve with 60lb trace.

Oh, North Beach Westport. Salted Mackeral for bait. Solaris Rod. Okuma Axeon Reel.

Cheers Trev

fishforpot
    Participant

Whatever you do Hardy , DONT get a job as a gynocologist…..

Beautiful looking spot btw ….

I still cant get over how fine the sand is at Carters beach …

I tighten my drag to cast , then set it ….dont touch it after that …..If you need more pulling power just finger your spool …

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Firdlings Blat reach beport

plenty of grass in the water yesterday at bayleys..young fellas down there midday caught kahawai and small schoolies,,sea looks a1 today cleaner bugger all swell plus cloud cover (wind will pop up later tho):grin:

Lets all hope we get burn blisters from fishermans hand lurgy..the dreaded and sometimes loved..spoolfinger :roll:

OI!! for the records you chaps who fished Kaikoura what was the butterfish and moki bait you used…?(I have a european houseguest who would like to know)we use corn/peas/tua tua/pipi etc.. here…??

yellowfin
    Participant

Was catching the butterfish mostly on raw prawn but I think I got a few just on bonito and sabiki traces. There was a diver going between our lines and under the wharf spearing them so he filled his bag. Moki were on prawn or mussel.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Cheers for that Zac..just came back from Bayleys with my son..one very proud 7 year old with his first ele../ on cooked prawn/just cast into the waves/at 5.30pm-nice to see them back..

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.