Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hae fishforpot

folding the body over on itself helps keep the meat intact during casting , may sound dumb but could you elaborate or anyone else as when i use crabs for bait the meat falls out and leaves the shell and i use bait cotton,
    Cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

dose anyone know wheather there will be rig in abel tasman at this time of year …
    i know that there are too many paddle crabs up there ?? :)
    cheers!

fishforpot
    Participant

Rip off the shell ……and the legs

Fold the crab in half , meat on meat

Feed ya hook into the underside about middle and out again so your line runs over some of the underbelly ….this give you more to bind the bait together onto

I prefer cotton to bait elastic , just seems less intrusive and you can wrap a lot more …….the keeper hook slides back down after the line and I put it in the from the meat and out the underbelly/cotton so it the bait will have two hooks , one at each end of the little crab sandwich youve made ……

I say keeper hook , both are the same size so Its more a 2nd hook I guess …….

This technique I use if I have thawed from frozen crabs …..fresh baits I will fold the opposite way , meat out if that makes sense

magooes
    Participant

muddypc

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok cool, have been there before to get tuatua will try it when I get a crab pot. When you say the cheap ones off trademe, do you mean those funny lookin opera green netted things? I already have one of those but thought it looked like it wouldn’t work

magooes
    Participant

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing … 526466.htm

Thats the type I use ( opera style).They work fine. I just made the holes larger to allow bigger crabs in. Any type should work . If its slack tide with not much swell there are plenty out there . Either dig a stick into the sand with a long rope attached or tie a bouy to it. I sometimes chuck a couple of dive weights in it so it doesnt end up down the beach .

mulletman
    Participant

i use those nets off the beach with rope and a bouy attatched, work very well and also catch the odd couple of mullet in them, i bait them with fish heads/frames

Participant

Just got in from a low tide fish at pines beach, managed 6 greyboys and keeped 4 bigboys most of them caught on trout bait,

yellowfin
    Participant

Just got in from a late night/early morning session at Pines,two 13lb Eles for my efforts, one other lost“>

yellowfin
    Participant

“>

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff kevo85 me and a mate went to spencer park this morning and down by the mouth south side at 5.30am but we thought it was a little bit rough with a big dumper out on a sand bar that we couuldnt get out past so we did not fish… if i new that there were eles about i would of had a fish but my mate only had thigh gumboots and a newby to this wading out to get out into the fish so went back home to the wife( her birthday tomorrow so will be a free man as of 2morrow she has a week long birthday were i have to do any thing she says DONT any one else get caught in this trap) hopefully the weather holds good and can get out spencer early next week for a fish..off to get tua-tua and crabs this afternoon on low tide what did you catch them on and what was the tide think the paper had the tide wrong for this moring was high at 10am but the morining going along the beach looked like it would be high approx 7.30–8am

Participant

Hey elmo low tide was around 3am this morning, yep crabs is a good way to go also chance of a rig but would also recommend taking some squid with you alot of the eles caught lately down pines beach on it

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi elmo,caught the fish on tuatua,low tide was about 3am..we got there about midnight and had no trouble casting out beyond the breakers but we had waders on.Caught the first fish on my first cast and the second about 1:30am…was that you justfishing that we past on the way down?

Participant

Yeh that was me kevo was a beaut morning to be out aye stop and say hi next time m8 also forgot to mention all the tope i caught had full bellies and spewing out small puffer fish upon landing, they made for great baits

Miliwolf
    Participant

Friday night went to the grove arm for a Snapper fish, Water was a bit discolored. Loonies and loopies were everywhere. Only caught a couple of KY, one decent size the other small. Tide was incoming to high which should of produced but with the storm, loonies and spawning guess they were not on the feed.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.