Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

You probably need to resize the picture before you upload it, otherwise when you upload images on imageshack if you click on Upload Options and select resize for message boards it will resize it for you.

HIPP
    Participant

Vip_yo,Great shot of the beach,nice fish too.

HIPP
    Participant

thanks, Zac, will try next time….Ill get better at it,need to get more fish first lol….not much time for fishing now, maybe next week now.

fishforpot
    Participant

Probably the two most full on fishing days Ive ever had were in the middle of a hot hot day ………cleanest water Ive ever seen one of those days , filthy the other

Couldnt get the line tensioned or rod in the holder , was like a supermarket …….NOT what I call fishing at all , and not enjoyable
    I prefer to lax out on the beach , and have a rod bend ever hour maybe …is why I normally fish 1 rod 1 bait , and take large breaks watching others fish …1-2 fish is heaps for a trip ….

Unless the tides are like this weekend , I certainly prefer first/last few hours of light ….but might go sparrow fart tomorrw , sea will be calmer so I can go super light

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to wakanui at 3am this morning. Got there and it was a cold southerly wind with light rain and the fog was so thick I was lucky to see 10 meters ahead of me with the headlamp on. Hard to judge the conditions but I fished one rod for an hour with crab baits with no luck so packed up.

Headed back out at 5.30am conditions looked perfect when I got there. First rod in the water with crab baits and almost instantly getting small bites before one decent run but no hook-up. I suspected small rig but could have been elephant fish. Over the next few hours I hooked 5 elephant fish and had various other hits and small runs but only landed 3 the others I managed to lose in the breakers. They all seemed to be rather small which is probably why they weren’t hooking up on a 5/0 hook although the last one I thought was big enough to keep. No sign of rig all morning but finally hooked a small one at 10am, nothing happened after that so packed up by 11.

First of the two small ele’s I released

Third one

Rig

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went south of timaru about nine am took some squid sea was a bit rough sat in the car then thought you are here give it a go im pleased i did three lovely big grey boys they chewed some 50lb trace to bits will have to some lumo to protect them like zac does

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

picture of Bayleys this morning

lotsa dolphins and krill..with kahawai
    chasing baitfish all the way to taumutu..nothing much around this morning..released a rig..lotsa baby greyboys..great conditions till it blew up..no eles for me today :grin:

heres mr and mrs hector lurking behind the rod

HIPP
    Participant

Good job guys, thanks for the ongoing reports, hope to get out this week sometime:)

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah saw the dolphins again today I still can’t believe how close in they come I could’ve reached out and touched one with my rod they were probably 5 meters away from me. Tried mullet and squid baits this morning as well on a 2 hook trace, came back with two small dogfish on it every time so gave up. Should be some big schoolies around by now just gotta put the effort in and fight through the dogfish to get them. Also got the wire trace and 10/0 hooks out and casted out a whole mullet, checked it 15 mins later and there wasn’t a single piece of bait on the trace just to many dogfish around.

secured the first hook in place with a cable tie and wrapped in bait cotton after I took the pic, wont stop the doggies getting to it though

magooes
    Participant

I was down bayleys too this morning , but all I got was a large paddle crab and sore eyes from looking for my keys for a couple of hours!Still didnt find them :-(, had to break into it ( lucky the ignition is so sloppy you can start it with a screw driver.) thanks for the help looking for them birdlings and the two other guys out there.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

No worries magooes good to meet you ..lets hope its in better circumstances next time :grin:

fishforpot
    Participant

Is it still flat as Birdlings ??? is the sea getting calmer ? or some swell rolling around the Peninsula starting to build ? ……looks like seahunter and myself heading to spot X in a few hours

Just stopped raining here , and getting much brighter …….wind is forcast to drop as the evening rolls on ….looking forward to catching a feed hehe …..

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

very windy water very choppy with lotsa white horses..Im hoping it will drop..but looks real nasty from here.. :sad:

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished at Bayleys beach last night until early morning. Took home a rig and an elephant fish, it’s the first time I’ve caught anything decent when there are fishing boats around.
    There were three fishing boats, one was no more than 1km out, another was only a little further out. Would they be longlining? (I’m assuming you can do this close in??), or would they be breaking the rules because there’s nobody there to police them, especially in the weelend and at night-time?

gunnercoops
    Participant

Three of us down at Baileys last night, 8-11pm..fished prawns, squid, mussels,crab and other stinky stuff, caught sod all, baits were getting stripped really quickley. Dolphins were kicking around, and boats were fishing off shore. At least it was warm. The sea was pretty flat.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.