Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

thats funny as

rdeejay
    Participant

Shark_Tale

yellowfin
    Participant

lol now that was funny

Peppermint
    Participant

Went for a fish around ChCh today, went to lyttleton to try the spot by naval point, realised when I got there I had the wrong rods, went a little further up to a small jetty and tried for some mullet, nothing there either. Went back over to Sumner and tried an old spot on Beachville road, no bites, looked down and saw hundreds of little tiny fish that looked almost like those tropical neon fish in the pet shops. Ended up trying to fish the spit on the wrong side, we went over to the South Brighton part to try it from that side, couldn’t get in far enough and every cast got clogged up with seaweed.

Should have tried over by Shag Rock where it looks like it goes deeper quicker, still not 100% sure on the tide to fish the spit though, Ive been told high tide on the South Brighton side but I don’t see how joe fisher could get in there to fish, from what I saw today you’d need waders and a surf rod (both of which I didn’t have with me).

Might go back tomorrow and try the other side depending on the wind, I’ll have to make sure to bring my surf rods this time and not the 8ft which I cant cast a 3oz sinker with for more than 40m. Heading out the Kaiapoi way tomorrow too, does anyone know if the mullet are biting in the Kaiapoi river by the small wharf, or in the Waimak on the new-ish angler drive or whatever it’s called? I remember doing some work on the big tables there last year and mullet were biting like crazy, people filling a bucket of them in just an hour or 2.

yellowfin
    Participant

Every time I’ve been to southshore there’s been to much weed to even fish or catch a fish same on the sumner side as well. I fished at the corsair bay wharf over the weekend, good place for catching herring and kahawai for bait. Also had a fish at navel point but just to many dogfish and crabs around destroying my baits. Saw another big eagle ray crusing around though so looks like there’s a few around at the moment so if you wanna catch one now’s the time.

yellowfin
    Participant

youv got fish the weed to get the fish at south brighton. 5 stingrays in 2 hours between 3 ppl is pretty good result. and 3 chilly bins of herring

but there has been ALOT of weed lately

dave
    Participant

do people eat rays.. or are they just caught for shits and giggles(fun)
    if so are they nice eating..

yellowfin
    Participant

Mostly caught by accident but I guess some people do eat them, then you’ve got the other people who kill them and leave them on the beach/rocks.

Peppermint
    Participant

Got around to Corsair bay today, caught 1 herring in an hours time so packed up and left. Was very lucky to catch him actually, saw one swim up trying to get the top hook when I first got the line wet and jigging it up but he dived down pretty quick. Just as we were packing up to go I wound in, found the herring on the hook and took him off. Foul hooked just above his eye, so I must have pulled up just at the right time…silly bugger must have been swimming past trying to see what was flashing in the water.

Have never caught herring on anything but the old Bonito Elite sabikis, those multi coloured flasher $4 ones from the wherehouse are garbage when it comes to catching for me.

May have one last day of fishing in me, going to try Kairaki beach tomorrow or a bit further up the mak. Not going for any paticular fish anymore, I just need to catch something bigger than my hand.

yellowfin
    Participant

I caught quite a few herring when I was there just using a size 8 wasabi sabiki and bonito for bait. I prefer size 6 or 8 and nothing bigger, and in trout hook size nothing bigger than size 10. Put a bit of burley off the wharf and you should get loads

Peppermint
    Participant

Yeah I didn’t really take much down there, just the rods, knife, sabiki and a plastic bag and rag. Was very busy there with a heap of swimmers, a lot more than I thought would be there being a work day. Next time I go there I’ll have to bring a bit of burley, Ive still got one of those burley logs from the wharehouse I got a while ago so will give that a try. There were a couple of guys jumping off the wharf when we got there too, I suppose that didn’t help anything. It would be a fairly awkward place to cast out if you were using a lure for kahawai, unless you were going off the rocks just next to it.

I found an old bait catcher I got a long time ago from the complete angler, the same sort as theyre still selling now on trademe (the green meshed ones). Would those be any good bringing down as well?

yellowfin
    Participant

Was busy when I was there as well and people jumping off the wharf but still caught a few fish. Saw some people catch some herring and rock cod with a bait catcher so should work. Don’t bother casting far out because you’ll just get to many dogfish.

HIPP
    Participant

Went to Coopers Lagoon beach wednesday night, till about 10.30pm

Flat as calm, very relaxing…but just Doggies,doggies and more doggies on the Prawns, Crab untouched.

Some other fellers there fishing at least 4 rods, didnt see them get anything thou.

Just about out of Rig already….need some more before summers over!

Though a couple of Old timers have said Rig are around all year, Any thoughts guys?

Cheers, Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s possible as I’ve heard of them very late in the season going into winter and also someone said they caught some in September last year. Possible they’re only gone for a few months though.

St_Paul
    Participant

I remember catching Rig and Ele’s through til mid march at Wakanui. Have ya been out down there lately Zac?

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.