Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Eggs are laid in the sand ? …..Stands to reason more young would survive if they hatched BEFORE the other shark species arrived inshore …..
    Im only guessing of course , but logically Id guess they would be doing it now …and the arrival of the parents wouldnt need to have much ado anything

yellowfin
    Participant

Just back from fishing the Pier today. Heaps of mullet in the water was getting bites soon as the bait was in the water and got three at once at one stage. Also a lot of kahawai around, heard there was a few caught in the morning and saw about 4 or 5 caught between the asians when I was up there, a school came past and there was 4 caught within 5 minutes. Got two nice size ones myself so was worth the trip. Thought I’d try for an early season rig tonight and had crab baits out for an hour or so before deciding to pack up once everyone else had gone. Wound in one of my traces and something had taken one of the crab baits and messed up the other but never heard any runs. Still the odd dogfish around and a lot of small school sharks being caught, also heard of a few barracouta around.

Got a bag of crabs in the freezer so might be worth a trip out to the beach to try for some rig, I remember a guy catching a few at birdlings in august last year so there’s some chance they’ll be around by now.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

i watched a small trawler unload a week ago a couple of bins of flatfish and two big cows eles so it may be an early season for ellies

Miliwolf
    Participant

Rigs are around all year, just very rare during the winter months.

yellowfin
    Participant

there was a few kahawai and a decent sized stingray caught this morning at pier. going up there now for a fish

yellowfin
    Participant

HAe guys, wouldnt mind fishing for some rig and ele this year, could anyone please help with baits and tides ect, and was going to get some 25lb line but am not to sure wether braid or mono is better suited Cheers :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Been discussed before but best bait for both rig and eles is crab. Alternative baits are crayfish, cooked or raw prawns and shellfish such as tua tua for the eles. I don’t usually worry about the tides just get out there and fish if they’re around and feeding you’ll catch them.

20 or 25lb mono is fine

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers Mate :)

yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from a fish not alot around and a decent surge at the beach managed a small red cod and 2 small rig which were released caught the cod on tuatua and the rig on crayfish

yellowfin
    Participant

Squid, caught all my eles on that, no rig though.

mulletman
    Participant

i catch rig and eles on squid, but tua tua for eles and crab for rig have never let me down before

yellowfin
    Participant

caught eles on pille also

oldgreyboy
    Participant

got some fresh elle pods in my whitebait net this morn , rough seas may have ripped them out of the sand

mulletman
    Participant

When ever I’m long lining I put a pillie head on and most of the time catch a kahawai

yellowfin
    Participant

People have caught eles and rig on squid, I’ve caught them on bonito and mullet as well. Definitely wouldn’t reccomend those baits though as they were one offs. Nothing better than crab when targetting both rig and eles. If you got a crab pot you can go throw that in at places like southshore or taylors mistake and get plenty.

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.