2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

7km is a impressive walk, I think my furthest spot is only 1.2km.

Today I decided to chase Kingies again, after a dawn salmon fish, I shot off to Tennyson inlet and loaded up my Kayak for a day of rock fishing. No wind as I searched for a suitable spot. Theres a surplus of nice spots there…. Landed my Kayak and threw in the burley, it took a while but the Mullet eventually found it. Sent one out under a balloon, after a couple of hours I replaced it with a fresh one which got harassed by a Coutta. Tried to catch the Coutta to turn into Burley but no luck and it killed my livey (but did not eat it….). I caught a small kahawai which I sent out.

A while later I run out of Burley, and the sea breeze was picking up. Something with a bit of power took my Kahwai Livey but was not hooked. Then I sent out two more Kahawai livebaits but both died after a hour or so. Must have killed over 100 wasps, the buggers were everywhere.

yellowfin
    Participant

ive been catching are few rig and school sharks. i caught my first blue cod of the beach on sunday . i kept 2 and put one back.

shark slayer
    Participant

good to see you putting in the effort mili..hopefully you pull one out this year..should have a much better chance up there than on banks peninsula..dont get the conditions here very often..the best way down here would be slide baiting at the waimak mouth but there are just far to many fisherman there for it to work..people would either start complaining or cast into your rig and tangle all your shit up..didnt get anything out of the freezer for tea so went down to grab a rig..one cast waited for 10 mins one rig around 9lb on cooked prawn so got my dinner haha..marinated in lemon juice,orange juice,cayenne pepper,cajun,soy sauce,sweet bazil,tarragon,chives,garlic.yumm :) the photo is crap and makes it look skinny but here it is anyhow..

fishforpot
    Participant

Taylors and Harris Bay were full of krill last night ……could even see patches on the webcam ….
    Guess the fish have been gorging themselves on the stuff , cause they didnt want to eat any live baits …a cuda killed a live bait , but didnt even eat it …was just for practice I think lol

shark slayer
    Participant

cuda seem to love killing livebaits and not eating them..buggers..were you on banks peninsula ffp?have not heard of those bays before..gonna head out for a moki later on..

yellowfin
    Participant

everyone knows taylors lol

Went to kaikoura yesterday. loads of bites at first then like a switch got flicked off and it went totally dead so changed to the wharf and go 5 moki all undersize some only just (39cm) a few small tarakihi loads of spotties and mullet few wrasse and other things so a pretty shit day really but oh well off fishing again monday, (Least the mrs says she loved the day)

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

bloody good one mr slayer this evening :grin:

oompalompa
    Participant

nice fish s/s

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers oompaloompa…had to work hard for that bad boy..took 2 hours…went down this evening..got there late but still managed two nice moki..5ish and 7 odd lbs…real scrappy aswell good fun..had to educate a few fisherman on size limits though..for all you guys out there who read this thread and are not members and then go down to certain spots the size limit for moki is 40CM!! stop taking the small shit…gonna head up to kaikoura next week me thinks and try some different ideas on the gurnard.. :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Another kingie mission resulted in failure, the wind prevented me from fishing my preferred spot, but the alternative had potential. Caught a small mullet quite easily and it was well behaved. Even surviving to be released after dark.

Would probably head out in my Kayak tomorrow morning.

HIPP
    Participant

Mili a friend of mine has seen kingies in the queen charlote sound last week, may be closer than tennision inlet for you:)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I fish the QC for kingies after work quite a bit.

HIPP
    Participant

Last minuate decision to go for a fish after work yesterday saw me and a cobber and his Mrs shoot down to Coopers for a fish,day before a new moon and setteld weather, conditions were plesant and with no crab available to buy and having not had the crab pot in the water due to lack of time, we used the trusty prawn, raw and cooked.
    Doggies like raw prawn, not ammused!!!! I said to the fish gods, surely you can do better than this, as most of you know, we have had a bad couple of years at being Johnny on the spot when it comes to Rig and Eles, we plodded on, pleasant enough there with a nice cold stubby…my cobber announaces that he has bought the bourban bottle and some ice coke and plasic cups…”weve never had a bourbon on the beach and we need to break this curse some how, we will have a bourbon aye?” so we did, and low nad behold whilst haveing a small tipple my rod starts to wobbl;e alittle, agh another bloody doggy I thought, and with bourban in hand I start to causally wind in the line with the rod still in the holder not knowing if there was anything the or not, thinking I need to check the bait I keep slowy winding in , then all of a sudden when nearly in the rod bends over quite nicely…so after placing said bourban carfully on the beach whislt keeping the wieght on the rodtip I proceeded to land a Rig!! yes, target species no less…only a wee one, but we are on the board again and positive we have shatterd the bad juju….that said, we didnt get anymore evn though we stayed till 11.30pm lol…we live in hope:). cheers, Hipp

elmo22
    Participant

good one hipp, looks like i will have to take to the bourbon bottle to, if like you i dont catch one if i drink enough i will think that i have and just lately thats whats happening,lol hope to head to kiakioua next weekend if sea is clam for a fish in boat for blue cod

fishforpot
    Participant

you’ll catch more fish in the sea elmo ……

Just waiting for a report from Dazza …he’s at Bayleys spot-x – 1km East
    Report in ….7-8 small schoolies up to 5lb …..and about the same number of rig , all 12-13lb

Ive pretty much given up the beach for the season , other than a Kaikoura mission or two for gurnard ..
    Looking at a moki mission and blue cod / trumpeter off the rocks out on the end of Banks Peninsula ….

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.