Fair comments guys,the salmon subject will never get boring.Good fishing for the next few days rivers coming right.
I too arrived just after the fly fishing guys landed 2 salmon out of 3 hook ups in gin clear water.Not as big as the monster trout they had been catching in the previus days.
I thort salmon stop feeding when they hit fresh water from salt water.Their stomachs start to strink and they only go for lures in the river mouths or up river in aggression as in natures urg to sporn.They see lures coming at them in clear water from a distance and avoid them most of the time.Salmon only take when lures surprize them in slightly…[Read more]
I seen 8 salmon crossing 2 shingle bars up near the Rakaia gorge on Sunday afternoon on a side stream,between 2 shingle bars 200mtrs apart.They were swimming fast.Bloody great sight even if river was too dirty to fish.
Was fishing the Rangi yesterday from sunrise till 11am up river,had whole river flowing pass me,see nothing.Other fisherman seen nothing either.One caught at Arundle in the middle of the week 14lb,but it wasn’t me.
Hi all,iv just been sorting out salmon gear,didnt relise I had so much gear after last year,well its gota wear out sometime.
I landed 3 salmon and lost 1 last season so hope to do better this summer,only a few weeks to go.
Wish everyone tight lines and safe fishing for the summer.
Hi iv use to have a scrap book of large trout and salmon caught around new zealand till the misses thru it out ggrrr, photos of salmon out of the Waitaki river yrs ago,late 70s,44pd and a 46 and a photo of a 54pdr caught in the Rakaia in 1979 below the main road bridge,buitifull silver fish it was.
Waitaki river fishing around willows,tree stumps,not many places to take fish down stream,id never fish the waitaki with 20 lb line with a big side stream of 200qubs flowing to 300qub mainstream.15kg mininum,8kg to 10kg rod for river fishing or some guys use a good boat rod around willow tree holes with 40lb maxima on a ABU 7000.A season with your…[Read more]
[quote="Greeneman":2q8knwe1]Well that’s bizarre I did a google search and all the pages that I found for the palomar knot were for tying to a hook, where as the knot I have been tying is a double uni knot. Incidentally I have been looping 5 times for the mono and 5 time for the braid. Does seem to pinch the line a bit despite me wetting the knot…[Read more]
Knots,UNI knots BACK to BACK very hard to break joining lines together,but i never have joints in my salmon line.If your salmon gear preparation is only 99% ,the salmon will find the other 1% and you will LOOSE them.Oh IGFA line is a better class of line and better tested in the factory.Platapus line 15 kg[white clear]is good line,iv landed…[Read more]
Yes 2hrs eitherside of low tide seems to be prime time,with the odd fish inbetween.I notice nearlly all fisherman start winding in a few seconds after their zeddy hits the water?????,hmmm7mtr to 9mtrs deep. i tryed 2.5 ounces of lead and spoon yesterday morning for 2hrs,took 20second to the bottom,i fished the bottom pretty hard for 2hrs around…[Read more]
- Load More