Salmon Season 2014 – 2015

Posted By Johnwest On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 180 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 181 total)
  • Author

Johnwest
    Participant

Its coming. Can’t wait.

shark slayer
    Participant

got a couple of akaroa farm escapees on the fly in the surf a few weeks back..in mint condition all around the 6lb mark..they had developed there sea colours and looked like wild fish..except the tail..good eating :grin:

Johnwest
    Participant

Where abouts?

shark slayer
    Participant

just along the beaches south of banks peninsula..they were around the mouths for a while..find the kahawai or baitfish and you will find the salmon.

burkefish
    Participant

new rules for salmon in the coming season in north Canterbury F&G area . no fishing for salmon from 10pm to 5am apart from dec and jan when the hours are11pm- 4am. also salmon catch limit on the kaiapoi river is 1 a day seems to apply to the bait fishing area.

shark slayer
    Participant

the limit of one is all good i think it should be one everywhere..but the hours rule is pretty lame..what if you where fishing for kahawai/cuda in the dark thet would have a hard time in court proving someone was targeting salmon..they should put restrictions on how far upriver you can fish so the salmon have untouched water to finish running in once tgey have made it a certain way up..that would actualy help the stocks instead of some silly hour restriction..how many people fish in the dark anyway?and how many of them would catch?silly rules that dont make any difference

salmonhunternz
    Participant

I think having 1 salmon per person in the Kaiapoi river is great! But is the new rule one if you bait fishing and two if your spinning? Or is it one all round?

burkefish
    Participant

they wont make the limit a day in most places as it has been proven in the past that it results in loss of the number of licences sold and therefore there would not be enough finance to run f&g and they would need to increase the cost of them. and stats prove that catching 2 fish a day is reasonably rare when 80% of salmon anglers catch on average under 4 fish a year. the restrictions of hours is in theory to give fish a rest up river so that those who fish first light have a chance at rested fish. with the way numbers are building across the board with all the raising and releases in 2or 3 years we will be back to the numbers that were put into the rivers when glenariffe was going and 85% of the catch were from their releases. the difference now is that there are multiple release points and that has to be good.

burkefish
    Participant

the rule 1 by any method. the reasoning is that the more fish back at the hatchery the more that can be done to enhance the fisheries. this year between 900,000 and 1,000,000 eggs have been put down in north Canterbury. 400,000 have been planted out as eyed ova and are already showing good results,200,000are being grown on to the fry stage for release at various points in august and 350,000 are being grown on to the smolt stage for release next year. I know central Canterbury have done a lot to as they got 1,000 spawning fish back to the hatchery.

burkefish
    Participant

apparently people have been fishing at night with lumo zeds and doing very very well up river.

shark slayer
    Participant

all the work being done to enhance the fishery is very good..the numbers returning this year where great but the reason for that is low clear rivers and the modest size of the salmon meant fewer people than normal putting in the effort i think reducing the limit to one would help lower the numbers taken..if bag limits are so rare why do people stop buying licences if bugger all of them get bag limits like you say anyway?..large numbers of people buy licenses just for trout fishing and anyone who stopped buying a licence because the limit was dropped to one would be the kind of wanker the fishery dosnt need anyway..i would gladly pay more for my licence to have less idiots fishing for salmon..i think its unfair to stop people fishing in the dark just because someone thinks it diminishes there chance at a salmon at first light..should thet ban fishing at first light because it diminishes the chances for people fishing at lunchtime?..how stupid..make some regs that actualy help the fishery instead of making silly rules inspired by grumpy old red necks.

burkefish
    Participant

our rivers don’t have enough food to support large numbers of fry and there is not enough suitable spawning areas to support large numbers of fish. in 1996 20,000 fish spawned up our rivers and 3years later there were hardly any. in 1992 the lowest number of fish ever returned to glenariffe yet 3 years later that led to the biggest run. now f&g are working what is the optimum numbers the rivers can support to give the optimum return. the fishery wont survive without the hatcheries so it is better to release fish that can be caught in good numbers as this also protects the fish that are required to support the survival of the ‘wild’ fish. none of this will work without volunteers doing a lot of the enhancement work. this year the lowland rivers have had an excellent return of hatchery returned fish, don’t know the figures for high country. if you want to target 1 fish a day you need to target the 8% of anglers who catch more than 8 fish a year, they are the ones who would be the most vocal of it and a large % of them are also the ones who put in the most volunteer hours to keep the fishery going.

burkefish
    Participant

your saying ‘you would gladly pay more fore your licence so less idiots would be fishing for salmon’ sounds very elitist to me. in Canterbury the majority of fishing licences are for salmon fishing and that has been the case for the last 50 or so years since glenariffe started.

shark slayer
    Participant

so your saying the more fish taken the better the fishery will become??..interesting..but yet you are praising this seasons high numbers of returning salmon?the more salmon that return the better..the hatcherys can do more,more fish spawn and more fish can be released to enhance other waterways and create new fisherys and improve existing ones wich helps take pressure off the same old places that get thrashed..salmon can be introduced to surprisingly small and even sub standard water ways..i have sat and watched salmon running up small crappy waterways that you would never expect them to be in…its over fishing that has lead to the diminishing fisheries not only in fresh but saltwater over the years people always blame everything else they can to excuse there greed but its dropping the numbers taken that helps most…the worst culprits are the old school guys that still have the rape and pillage mentality that practicly live at the rivermouths over the season and take everything no matter how big or small..i have seen some of them that would at least be averaging 40 or 50 a season..plus any searuns they can get there hands on..these are the dickheads you see kicking kahawai back into the water 3/4s dead..they are the people the limit drop is required for and if a heap of them stopped buying licences it would do the rivermouth fisheries a huge favour.

burkefish
    Participant

if a heap of them stopped buying licences there would be no money to do the enhancement. there are 16,000 adult licences sold in north Canterbury and the majority of them are for salmon fishing. seems your are talking about the central Canterbury area as what you are accusing people doing I haven’t seen the north Canterbury for along time the driving force of the salmon run will always be what food is at sea and that is governed by cycles dominated by the 10 to 11 year cycle of the sun. stats taken over a number of years shows there is very little variation in the % of angler catch to % of the total run . as I wrote before it is the management of numbers in the spawning grounds as to be successful the numbers need to equate to the amount of food available for the successful growth of smolt. too many and you lose the whole run. hatcheries fill the gap and low land spawning as seen this year is very rare as it depends on larger than normal rainfall. by having more hatchery fish the catch remaining in the same % rate means the optimum numbers can get to the spawning grounds as was proven when glenariffe was running and the limit bag was 4 a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members