Sea Run Trout

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Mike H
    Participant

To confirm if its a sea runner look for spots that look like + + rather than round. I find they’re in the estuaries around mid August. thats when whitebaiting starts so if the whitebait are there the fish will be.

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone fished the Ashley for sea run trout? Is the river mouth the best place to catch them?

yellowfin
    Participant

Rakaia fish from this morning..
    “>

yellowfin
    Participant

And another..
    “>

baitman
    Participant

Nice fish kev did I see you out there last saturday? Pretty sure it was you and meg I was fishing with one of my sons on the lagoon seaspit. I was gonna come say gidday
    but you bolted before I could. Fishin was tough that day/weekend I only got 1 small 1 and saw 3 fish all weekend (unusual for the period around the new moon). :?:

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah that would have been me mate..caught 2 lil ones that day and seen perhaps 7-8 more, I’ll be down there most weekends now until late November!!

yellowfin
    Participant

The first of many videos this summer I hope!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBjXlUax … detailpage

yellowfin
    Participant

great vid Kev, hopefully the bigger ones will arrive soon!

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome video Kev, quite motivating!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Lots of small fish in the rakaia at the mo….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXh6N5QU … detailpage

gunnercoops
    Participant

off for a look at the rakaia mouth area after work for a couple of hours, have never been down there before, will be heading to the North Side as nearer work, have looked on the map and seems you can get near to the lagoon.
    Is that where i need to be heading or is the south side the better option? thanks.

yellowfin
    Participant

The mouth is on the north side so less walking from that side. From either side you can access the lagoon. I fish from the south side but purely because I live nearby plus more access points to the lower river. Plenty of trout about in the lagoon and river, not sure how the mouth itself has been, I haven’t had much luck with spinners lately, althou alot of follow ins, but Kevo85 seems to be. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

gunnercoops
    Participant

good one thanks for that…fingers crossed….I left the fly gear at home, just got a bag of metal…fingers crossed.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Well after what seemed like a fricking long walk down the spit, fished a while where it entered the sea, some fish around, smallish on the whole, but got one around 2.5lb in the fridge for tea tonight :)
    Caught on a “flying condom” lure.
    Any other recommedations as to access points to the Rakaia, that don’t involve such a walk?

yellowfin
    Participant

I usually head to the south side, go down through the huts and drive a bit along the beach. The walk from here to the lagoon is pretty short, usually just fish there. Not sure how long the walk to the mouth would be from the south but i’m guessing it would take a while. Usually plenty of fish in the lagoon but most have been on the small side. I don’t have a 4×4 but if you do there are loads of access roads on the south side further up the river.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.