Sea Run Trout

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Very nice fish.caught before the fresh?

yellowfin
    Participant

Plenty of sea runs about at the mo..“>

yellowfin
    Participant

“>

yellowfin
    Participant

“>

yellowfin
    Participant

saw a guy spinning of south bay for kahawai when last up there and got a good searun trout

troutfishernz
    Participant

Nice fish there. I was fishing down at taieri mouth near Dunedin a few weeks ago and had large searun trout follow my spinner in from the shallows would have easily been 10lb+ :shock: . Have fished there quiet a few times but never cought or seen any fish untill then.

yellowfin
    Participant
    yellowfin
    Participant

It’s sea run trout time again, will be off to the Rakaia lagoon in the morning, can anybody fill me in on the condition of the river?

baitman
    Participant

It looks the best it has for weeks but still a little discoloured IMO fishable. I was thinking of going tonight myself, there is a rain warning for the hills for late today as long as you fish the lower river you should be right.

baitman
    Participant

I went trout spotting on saturday in the L2 and lower selwyn had a great time without my rod?
    Any tips on the L2 access and method.

yellowfin
    Participant

Toughest fish in the district imo,unless you are after the tidlers..#16 pheasant tail under an indicator fished down to them seems to work best for me..but they are never easy!!

yellowfin
    Participant

A bit of action from the lower Rakaia yesterday, a slow day all up but that’s what you expect during the height of the spawning season…http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … nEI5rhnRVI.

yellowfin
    Participant

Kevin nice fish do you think they would take a fly , ( streamer type) i mint go on saturday …

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m not sure about a streamer at this time of year. I guess if you covered the fish with one there’s a reasonable chance it will take, but from what I’ve seen over the last few winters I wouldn’t bother.However, I have had some great sight fishing with small nymphs during winter…check this out from last winter…http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … sH8UTL8RvY

yellowfin
    Participant

How easy is the lower Rakaia to access by car? The access booklet seems to suggest that unless you have a 4×4 its pretty difficult. Any advice on the best access points by car would be appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.