Sea Run Trout

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    baitman
    Participant

Cheers kev I did one raw it impressed everyone who tried it.
    Awesome having the mouth so far south hope it stays there.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went fishing with my mate for searuns yesterday at the Hurunui Mouth,caught a wee 2lber and soon after my mate caught one the same size, both released. Got multiple takes afterwards then it just went dead.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey guys, wanted to put a few questions to you about getting onto sea runners. I’ve been fishing around Dunedin, and giving the Waikouaiti mouth a good lashing, along with a few other spots, like the Catlins River and Toko mouth. I also recently got out to Haast River on the west coast as well. I’ve had good luck on the Catlins, and Haast, but can’t seem to catch anything on the Waikouati, and to a lesser degree on the Toko.

I’ve gotten some follows, but those fish seem so fussy! Nothing like the Haast fish, which just seem to smash everything you put in front of them.

Here’s the main question. Why is the Waikouati such hard work in comparison to the other places?

Is it just that the Waikouati is seeing more anglers, and so fish are wiser?

Or is it density? Are there more fishes in those other places, so they’re hungry and agressive and ready to bite?

I’ve used everything, Rapalas, softbaits, streamer flies, tobies, basically everything I’ve got in the box. The reason I’d like to fish Waikouati is because it’s close. At this point I’m feeling like the best thing I can do is drive to spots I know are hot and fish them, not just places that look good, but don’t fish well.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was wondering what setup you have eg line, rod and reel. I have started using 6 pound braid with a 1-2 meter length of flurocarbon trace attached to it. I have had a lot more hook ups with this light setup and it is very strong. I have also started using these lures called Salmo’s. They look like rapalas but are a bit more life like. One of my mates that spin fishes a lot recons the different between Rapalas and Salmo’s is that with a rapala you will get a lot of follows and with salmo’s you will get lots of hookups.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tollbooth1

troutfishernz
    Participant

A bit off topic.

But how do you guys find Fireline/Nanofil??
    I use Red power pro with 5m of flourocarbon so the fish cant see the red braid. But find I loose quite a few fish from pulled hooks and striking to early due to the high sensitivity.

yellowfin
    Participant

troutfishernz  A bit off topic.

But how do you guys find Fireline/Nanofil??
    I use Red power pro with 5m of flourocarbon so the fish cant see the red braid. But find I loose quite a few fish from pulled hooks and striking to early due to the high sensitivity.[/

One thing I have found is that I don’t have to strike as hard as when I was using nylon. I more or less just do a short sideways pull and it seems to work good. What lures are you using that seem to pull out?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Mainly spinners with treble hooks. Found setting the hook easy but after 10 maybe 15 seconds the hook just pulls out its like hook is only just holding and any jump or sudden movement pulls the hook. Haven’t had a problem with Salmon as they seem to have harder mouths.

Really like Braid as the fight is so much more fun then Mono, Just wondering if Fineline seen as its a fused line is better suited to Trout fishing rather than a true braid like Power pro?

yellowfin
    Participant

my experience with braid and mono when spinning is that i prefer the stretch in mono to help me set the hook better, where braid has no stretch and more often than the mono i dont get the time to set the hook as well. but I have found a good compromise with low stretch mono. but when using soft plastic lures like storm wild eye i use braid because im creating the action of the lure myself, and need the no stretch braid, like softbaiting.

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.