Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Wive’s luck continues, well sort of as she just lost a 20lb + fish down at the beach, same place halfway down the beach. Broke the 25lb mono leader I put on just below the palomar knot to the braid :eek: . Must have been a big fish. I was chasing Kahawai in the surf so I missed the whole thing. I think she might have slackened off on the rod as yesterday I had to keep telling her to use the rod, keep it bent or lose the fish. Never mind, could have enough salmon to last the winter. Two hookups in two days pretty good going I will have to ask her for tips.

yellowfin
    Participant

Does the overhead igfa mono get less bird’s nests on baitcasters? I find with bog standard mono it goes fine when I put new line on but after I get one birds nest or tangle and it just keeps bird nesting until I replace the line. The 25lb 0.40 mm line seemed to be casting better than 15lb 0.35mm but again as soon as I got a tangle it started misbehaving again. I am thinking about stealing my wife’s rod with the egg beater and braid as she is casting as far as me now and getting more hookups.

Fishunter
    Participant

Knots,UNI knots BACK to BACK very hard to break joining lines together,but i never have joints in my salmon line.If your salmon gear preparation is only 99% ,the salmon will find the other 1% and you will LOOSE them.Oh IGFA line is a better class of line and better tested in the factory.Platapus line 15 kg[white clear]is good line,iv landed salmon just over 30 lb with it and when you are fishing the Waitaki you be glad you are using it.People when casting over head spool reels,put too much power into their cast and over excelerate their spool and the line cant get thru the rod rings fast enough BIRDNEST.a NICE EVEN POWER CAST IS BEST,most fishing rods have to much tip action[acceleration] for the over head spool reals,a rod which is a just a little bit stiffer in the tip helps a lot in casting.Have the break twicked up a little for a start and work you way out to your casting distance.Feel the wind on your face,ligth touch on the spool with your thumb when landing your zeddy or twicked the break up a bit.IGFA line is better than the standard line, keep your line out of day ligth when in storage.

yellowfin
    Participant

It was a line break as it broke below the knot but obviously the line had narrowed a bit due to being squeezed by the knot, but I will have a look at the uni knot vs the palomar. Cheers.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well that’s bizarre I did a google search and all the pages that I found for the palomar knot were for tying to a hook, where as the knot I have been tying is a double uni knot. Incidentally I have been looping 5 times for the mono and 5 time for the braid. Does seem to pinch the line a bit despite me wetting the knot before pulling it tight. The other day my mate had a snag and it broke just after the uni knot of the leader as well and not at the blood knot/lure. Do you really need to have a shock leader or can you just tie the braid straight to the lure.

Fishunter
    Participant

Iv landed a 28 lb trout using a uni knot on the fly rod,tippet to leader.Uni knots very good even down to 4 lb tippets holding big trout.

Fishunter
    Participant

Greeneman

yellowfin
    Participant

I will keep the 15kg line in mind when I fish the Waitaki, maybe next season. I might have to upgrade my rod though as it is only a 4-8kg Backbone Elite Shimano, it is quite whippy. I heard you need 10kg+. What’s the average size fish down at the Waitaki, I heard they were bigger than all the other rivers?

yellowfin
    Participant

I have always been taught If you have your drag set up right then you should never break a line or a knot. Unless that is you let the rod slacken off and the fish has a chance to break. Most people only break a line or a knot when they run out of real estate and crank up the drag to try and turn a fish which is heading out of sight. My mate was telling hence the need for stiffer stronger rod at rivers such as the Waitaki and Rakaia to enable you to turn the fish back.

Fishunter
    Participant

Waitaki river fishing around willows,tree stumps,not many places to take fish down stream,id never fish the waitaki with 20 lb line with a big side stream of 200qubs flowing to 300qub mainstream.15kg mininum,8kg to 10kg rod for river fishing or some guys use a good boat rod around willow tree holes with 40lb maxima on a ABU 7000.A season with your little abu 6500 on the waitaki pretty tough on your reel.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

The Waitaki has been solidly producing fish the same sizes as the Waimakariri this season.
    Biggest I have seen registered is around 23lb but I stand to be corrected as the list of registered caught Salmon at the Glenavy Pub is a very long list this year!
    Water flows have been similar to the Rangitata for my first look since shifting down here in November.
    The mouth went from a split stream mouth to a single fast drop-off mouth about Xmas time.
    There was a big wide apron as it entered the sea and a handy producing lay on each side holding SeaRuns and Kahawai and a small number of Salmon. Most were caught up in the gut or above in a smaller side stream that looped off the mainstream, wrapped around an island and dropped back into the main gut.
    (It produced well up there on the high tide.)
    Cumecs are one thing but conditions are another and it depends where the cumecs are measured as there is a truckload of water removed from the river system before it gets to the mouth.
    I picked up a 14lber a couple of weeks back on 20lb line, no worries.
    In earlier days, these waters demanded big b-strain lines but there is no need to be that particular in the present conditions.
    The Waitaki has closed for the season for Salmon but still open for Trout, any Salmon caught must be returned, dead or alive.
    I upped my rod choice to a CD Graphcast 2 with ABU 7000 on it, the 6500 was ok upstream but not at the mouth where often a bigger cast was ordered.
    Hope that helps.

yellowfin
    Participant

This was my Salmon I ever caught 11lb @ mak rocks early jan,and also my 1st time using a level wind (Abu 6500c3)
    note paddle missing due to me falling over on a loose rock and landing on it previously haha,
    but yea the reel handle really well,ive caught a few more on it and it’s never let me down, ive removed the
    thumb guard now to give me better control of the spool, but hey, this is my 1st season chasing these awsome
    fish and im not about to give up :grin:
    ]

burkefish
    Participant

well there I was stepping outside second day back at work after 5 weeks of chasing the salmon,thinking it would be a great day to be on the river. open the car door and the phone goes, a fishing mate- just got a 12lb fish- bugger- text well done. trundle off to work (this was 6.40am) arrive 20min later- lockingcar- phone goes- got another fish. *%$£*. very temped to get back into car and go. afterall I was halfway to the river and all my gear is in the car. mentioned to the boss later, his comment, ” why didn’t you” ??????

burkefish
    Participant

still a few fish around at macintoshs this morning saw 2 caught ,1 lost. the river is getting to the level where fish often pool up waiting- 37 cumc today. will try again in the morning, might still be one that will get annoyed with my zeddie.

yellowfin
    Participant

Long weekend,anyone had any luck? Was at mouth of mak for low tide yesterday only one seen taken…..pretty slow.
    Is it worth looking upstream or is it tooo clear?

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.