Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Just hope the prick about to cast a silver zeddy into the Waitaki this evening just below the road bridge(seen as we returned from ChCh…) gets caught by a ranger! (or a bloody local)
    Poaching for Salmon out of season is frowned on in these parts.
    I hope he reads this message.

burkefish
    Participant

still a few fresh salmon coming into the mak over the weekend. saturday where i was fishing 4 fish hit only 1 landed with 1 breakoff that was a good fish not bad when only 6 fishing the spot. pity our fishing skills weren’t better. unfortunatly back at work but have thus,friday off so will have a look again.

sorearm
    Participant

anyone been catching a few lately?any predictions for when the mack clears?

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah was wondering the same?! Any one get any? see any when fresh came down?

burkefish
    Participant

fresh fish in the mak. saw few, netted 1 saw 1 lost. ideal colour today and tomorrow currently 72cumacs at the bridge. a bit peed off as have to work next 4 days when there are ideal fishing conditions.

sorearm
    Participant

will slay em 2moro

yellowfin
    Participant

Does anyone know if theres many salmon being seen or caught in the Taieri? I have reports of 1 being caught. Cheers. This forum is fantastic by the way but would be good to hear more info on rivers south of Timaru.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Don’t get caught trying for Salmon in the Waitaki at present, the season closed for Salmon end of March.
    The river is however full of Salmo Salars! (Typical)
    If you are ok with the canals idea, there have been some very big fish caught recently, the biggest I heard of was a 25lb Rainbow and another, a 24lb was caught by a local from Oamaru last week too. Shrimps, the pinker the better (nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more….)
    No info on Dunedin south sorry to say….. over to another member for that fill in.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah my old man was out the boat last week getting firewood and he said he’s never seen so many salmon in the waitaki and its also the clearest we’ve both ever seen. he said he pulled into an old fishing hole and there were just shoals of them. Sux that it was now out of season but hopefully its a great sign for the future of the waitaki..I had a crack in the otago harbour at leith mouth this morning but no luck. Just had a silver zeddy.

Fishy Bishy

yellowfin
    Participant

Hooked a salmon first cast this morning down at the Mack rocks, bloody 25lb mono leader snapped, clean line break on the first run, not even a heavy drag. Put another lure on and did a pull test and it snapped again. Must have picked up some nicks/damage either on the reel or in the gear bag as I only changed it last week after doing some trout fishing using the same braid and 8lb leader. It’s pretty old mono about 8 years old. Been in the cupboard but might be suspect. I decided to invest in 100m of fluorocarbon leader this afternoon, newby mistakes. Should change the backing as well, but if a fish runs out all the braid I suspect I will be in trouble. Hot rod though 3 hookups in 3 weeks, 4 visits down to the river. Poor conversion though only 1 fish caught and two snapped leaders, hence the change to Fluoro.

One fish caught around 7:30am, lost mine 10 min later and then nothing til I left at 10am. Milky blue, but looked nice for salmon fishing. Didn’t see much fish activity though. Much happening down at the mouth or later in the day? Might have a decent crack tomorrow and try and get my bag limit for the season.

burkefish
    Participant

still fresh fish showing up at macintoshs, at lest 3 caught today and not very many people fishing, making the odds good?

yellowfin
    Participant

I went to macintoshes for an hour or so this morning but it was very quiet, and I was told there hadn’t been any caught. Also fished the mouth for a while, but nothing happening there either (admittedly I was the only one there).

burkefish
    Participant

2 caught at macintoshs this afternoon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Sadly i missed some good fishing this summer due to breaking my leg very badly.

I have been able to manage some easy fishing over the last month and i went for a drive to middlemarch to see if i could find some salmon running the Taieri, no luck. i did catch 6 Browns on a green and black zeddy, single hook, very agressive fish, attacking the lure at my feet at times.

can we get some reports of salmon around dunedin, are they still showing up? (clutha, Taieri, Harbour)

I also had an evening fish of the entrance to the Leith Stream with no luck, anyone tryed spinning here?

i wish i could have fished the Waitaki, alas, too late.

If i want to catch some late season salmon next week over anzac day where would you guys recomend i go?

yellowfin
    Participant

I had a go spinning at the leith mouth on sunday but no luck. I reckon if you spend enough time there and perhaps on the tide then you might get lucky. They definately were going up there cos there we 17 pulled out by nets and relocated a couple of weeks ago by salmon club members.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.