Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    Fishunter
    Participant

Hi all,well the last 2 weeks on the Waimak,what a great salmon fishing resource so close to Chch. Fished hard,1st week up river seen od fish,but no takers even tho i fished 6 early mornings.Second week down at Macs amongst trees and rocks,fished hard for 6days,sunrise to late afternoon,still no fish.4days a guy would land a fish beside me,4 different coloured zeddys,mostly jack fish.Its like a big lucky dip but the guys up on the corner up the top,both sides on the low tide gota a small area of water to fish,nice spot, watched them land 4 salmon yesterday and the guy rigth beside me on the rocks lands a nice salmon.Iv watched yellowfin land a few this week,well done.Meet some great people out at the waimak,got some great photos.Got no salmon but enjoyed myself. Im off to hunt some deer in the next week,get rid of the salmon strees :grin: Cheers Fishunter

yellowfin
    Participant

Fishunter

yellowfin
    Participant

I took the wife and kids down to the Kairaki beach for fishing last night, half way down the beach by ourselves. Talk about beginner’s luck, a salmon coming downstream took resident in a hole 10m in front of us and porpoised a few times. I tried to hit it several times with a lure and then my wife on her second cast got it to take. Took a while to get it in as she had the drag set way too low, but then again the hook was only in by one barb and only lightly hooked so maybe it was a good thing. Got to use my new priest and did my first bit of salmon tailing. It was a nice 10 lb Hen salmon so at least I still have bragging rights with my 17lb salmon.

Fishunter
    Participant

Well done,you will be buying a lot of salmon gear for next year,enjoy the salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Will do.
    Ha.Ha regarding the salmon gear. Already have two surf casters, two salmon rods, two trout spinning rods, 1 salmon surf caster and two fly rods. Just as well I get seasick or the next thing would be a boat. Just waiting for the eldest to catch one on his 4 kg trout rod. At least it has braid on it, could be a bit of fun on an outgoing tide.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fishunter,
    Having only caught one at Macs I am not an expert. But at Macs rocks apparently waiting 4-10s for the lure to get down, using a heavy enough lure for the tide, winding slow enough to keep the lure on the bottom where the salmon are, using braid to improve your feel so you can strike before the salmon spits out the lure and a decent graphite salmon rod with plenty of feel can improve your strike rate.
    Good luck with the deer.

burkefish
    Participant

good colours to try in clear water at macintoshs or anywhere really(works well in coloridge) is black and white, a sort of grey or silver black on top side white underneath. abit of sparkle help. has worked for me as my main colours the last 15 years. though this year experimented managed fish on 7 different colours so now have about 10 patterns to choose from. starting to get complicated carrying to many spinners.

Fishunter
    Participant

Greeneman

burkefish
    Participant

the otherthing about the lower wiamak is that the tide not the time of day governs the best time for salmon.this season so far all the fish i’ve got have been between 8.30am and 4.30pm inspite of in the last 5weeks spending up to 10hrs a day there. my diary back to 2000 shows that over 80% of fish i’ve taken have been between these times. half tide to low and later in a season to half in are peak times. when the fish start pooling up as now there is always a chance at any time. also tide times can be up to an hour later than the mouth depending on river flow.

Fishunter
    Participant

Yes 2hrs eitherside of low tide seems to be prime time,with the odd fish inbetween.I notice nearlly all fisherman start winding in a few seconds after their zeddy hits the water?????,hmmm7mtr to 9mtrs deep. i tryed 2.5 ounces of lead and spoon yesterday morning for 2hrs,took 20second to the bottom,i fished the bottom pretty hard for 2hrs around low tide.Most of the fish i seen caught close to me last week were all caugth near the surface. Another fisherman told me most of the salmon travel in the top half of the water caus of all the sand down on the bottom.?????

yellowfin
    Participant

I guess each river is different, with the Waimak differing more than most. I have also heard with the Waimak that the salmon don’t like the bottom layer too much with the sand and prefer to swim slightly higher in the table, not sure whether that apply just to the mouth or the rocks as well. The most productive times I have seen at the rocks are 2 hours after high tide going to low tide, with a cool day and with a drop in barometer with a southerly coming through. Also the guys there will go anywhere from a 20gm zeddy on an incoming tide to a double on the outgoing tide. Best thing I like about the Mak is I can get out there in 20 mins and you save heaps on gas.

I could feel the lure hit the bottom with braid, but couldn’t with mono. Most of the fish seemed to be caught close to the bank but I have also heard that’s because mono stretches too much and if you strike 40-50m out it’s too late and the fish has already spat it out. Having said that I did catch my fish with mono.

Fishunter
    Participant

My 15kg platapus IGFN dont stretch much [WAITAKI LINE],but i did try 10kg burkley yeasterday,seems ok,not as plyable as the platapus.

burkefish
    Participant

as far as lines go i use sufix senergy 14lb, some are using 10 and12lb. i did until in mid 90’s landing a 28.5lb fish decided my heart might stand to much of it. have been broken a handful of times. might need a bit heavier on the rocks as you can’t move around that much there with your fish.i also end for end my line and change it every 2weeks or so when fishing more than 2or 3 times a week. buying bulk helps keep the cost down (1400 yards costs about $30)

Fishunter
    Participant

Berkley 10 kgs,was about $23 =800mtrs,good line and very strong.Some shops in chch selling 100mtrs spools for $8 to $12 :lol:

burkefish
    Participant

i have also stopped tying terminal knots. i came acrooss a rapala thing tried it out, didn’t like the price. found some 140lb single strand trace wire and made up a jig and now they cost me about 10cents each. have tested with spring balances up to 35lb and braid to 15kg, won’t break below breaking strain. have been using them for 3 years now and haven’t had any terminal breaks by fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.