Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

me and searunner spent a few weeks possum hunting the broken and saw heaps of salmon and found alot dead on the banks good to see :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Good numbers been seen in the Waitaki river after closing. River been clearest ever so fish been spotted in groups. Good sign for years to come hopefully.

yellowfin
    Participant

Brokeback mountain ,lol Tom and searunner.

yellowfin
    Participant

bullfrog

burkefish
    Participant

guess its time to unload the salmon gear out of the car. always a hard thing to do when you finally decide the season is over. have already started stripping some worn zeddies down and deciding what colours to repaint and thinking of new combinations. caught fish on 7 different combinations this year. think the white with the clear green and clear red stripes worked best, tho when ever I returned to the old favourite -black and white always semed to a lest get a hit as did those ones that I gave to others to try. five months to the start of the new season- not far away.

yellowfin
    Participant

Tom that sounded more lik bullfrog was gutted he missed out on the love trip whoops i mean hunting trip, Sounds cool seeing the fish spawning etc though, would be interesting to see i think,

yellowfin
    Participant

I would say Tom would be the taker, lol.

yellowfin
    Participant

sorry bullfrog i dont swing that way :???:

but dont be ashamed of yourself if you have a slight fettish over brokeback mountain style i just wont be going hunting with you :wink:

yellowfin
    Participant

anyway
    how did people get on this season

burkefish
    Participant

probably not as well as you Tom. but silverstream got the best return its had for a few years.(250). and some returned to the southbranch (17) in spite of few being released there 3 years ago.

yellowfin
    Participant

250 too me doesnt seem overly high, then again silver stream isnt a huge place lol,

burkefish
    Participant

thats from 30 odd thousand. 1% return is a good result according to the experts. thats fish and games release. hatchery manager said last night that their surplus don’t survive but as they are easliy predated it means more wild and fish and game fish survive. which makes the hatchery surplus an important part of the system.

burkefish
    Participant

also if half the number (125) are female, thats 500,000 to 625,000 eggs and in hatchery conditions they have about a 95% viable result with fertilization. each smolt costs about $1 to raise to release stage. fish and game migtht need to lift licence fees to cover the cost !!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

lisences arnt enough as it is we have it so cheap in new zealand i mean a season lisence gives you a hole 365 days of fishing which is under say 30 cents a day over seas you can pay hundreds if not thousands for ONE days fishing

so at the end of the day a days fishing is pritty cheap and yet people complain its to much :?

i say fish and game should put up lisences so that the fishery doesnt die out :)

burkefish
    Participant

according to fish and game, every salmon caught come with a value of between $100 and $200. the cost would be alot higher if it wasn’t for those who willingly volunteer their time to ensure that all who buy a licence have the chance to catch a salmon.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.