Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

you will become a resident expert and well on your way to the salmon addiction. your family and mates need to watch out nothing else becomes more important. your also start aquiring salmon euipment and after a year or two you will have more than you could posibly use in your life time.

yellowfin
    Participant

3 caught down at Macs till about 12:30pm. When down to the waimak mouth and there was a run of about 7 or 8 fish just before low tide. It was good timing but although the odds were improved I still didn’t improve on my one for the season. One girl got a 26lb fish that had quite a bit of colour, look like it had been up river a bit.

shan
    Participant

whats the waimak like today after the weekends nor wester
    was thinking of going after work but would save me a trip across town if someone could let me know

yellowfin
    Participant

Waimak will be fishable in two days,not much of a fresh..

burkefish
    Participant

its been a funny fresh, held the peak for 8 hrs. has started falling away, should be under 70cumacs tomorrow. was not quite marginal today. saw plenty of fresh fish heading up, not wasting any time.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

The Waimak is starting to clear already, be perfect by tomorrow I reckon.

burkefish
    Participant

about 10 salmon taken at macintoshs today until 5.45pm. spread around except where we were. 3 boats, 2north side kaiapoi mouth, rest on rocks. should even better tomorrow.

yellowfin
    Participant

Any news from the waimak today? I was trying to get to the mouth for low tide but got swamped with chores from the missis just as i was trying to escape……. :mad:

yellowfin
    Participant

There were at least 6 taken at Macintoshes this afternoon. The last one at the white post about 4.30 (weighed 13.5 lb). Nothing after that. A few salmon playing on the surface though.

burkefish
    Participant

between about 1.00pm and 6.00pm, i saw about 6 fish taken on the rocks and 2 the south side of the kaiapoi. i was fortunate to catch a well conditioned 14 lb jack fish. was also told of one in a boat and one or two earlier in the day. the fish i got is very immature for the time of the season?

burkefish
    Participant

2 limit bags among the fish caught at macintoshs today. managed to let one one go unententionally myself.

yellowfin
    Participant

whats the best tide there atm? The in coming? Keen to try tomorrow…

burkefish
    Participant

depending on where you fish. macintoshs incoming first thing on the rocks and probably allday tomorrow. outgoing from about lunchtime at the mouth. around 1pm kaiapoi mouth. boats anytime.

burkefish
    Participant

boats turn for fish today, they got 5 while i was there. 1 onthe rocks 1 north side of kaiapoi. well last day of 5 weeks chasing salmon back to work monday. had 10 salmon hit my zeddies landed 7. the 3 i lost always seem to stick more in the brain for some reason. averaged 12.75lb.been a good time and still be a few more days to get out. the fish seem to be late maturing this year. also interesting i got my fish on 7 different coloured spinners.

burkefish
    Participant

6 fish southside of the kaiapoi sat. 3or 4 really impressive 14lb jacks.a question, where are the hens of the same size or larger? it seems from my observation that more jacks are being caught. my ratio is 7 to 2. interesting as a few years ago i was asked by niwa if we were catching many jacks and then it seemed we caught more hens but i will need to look at my diary to confirm that.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.