Salmon Season – 2010/2011

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

yh u might be right kev but for now i think getting the fly rod owt and waiting for the rivers to clear

yellowfin
    Participant

You might be right mate,heading out after elephant fish tonight then might hit the lakes friday..when r u dropping the spinners off bud?

yellowfin
    Participant

straight after dinner so bwt 7ish if thats ok im sure once the rivers clear up there might be a few about to keep us occupide

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah mate c u at 7 then

yellowfin
    Participant

has anyone herd anything about the hurinui ?
    cheers tom

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a look up the kaiapoi river today after school it was dirty for some of the tide but at low tide clean as anything talked to a few chaps and they all said that there were 3 taken today only small salmon though round 8 to 10 lb . i was fishing alone and saw one porpose right in front of me but it was really small looked to only be like round 5 to 8 lb most of the salmon this season seem to be small up the kaiapoi

yellowfin
    Participant

The hatchery fish seem to be extra small this season,but there seems to be some big wild fish about also!!

yellowfin
    Participant

having lived in kaiapoi for 21 years the kaiapoi does get dirty when the waimak is although often i find around high tide the dirty water pushes up the cam more and above that just gets slightly discoloured. then outgoing tide that water gets clear as anything.

baitman
    Participant

how do you tell the hatchery fish from a wild one kevo? fin clipping? I wasn’t aware you could tell the difference?

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i think it is fin clipping im not 100% sure thats what silverstream hatchery does thou i cant remember from when i went there with fish and game

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah it’s the clipping of the adipose fin,they have days during the year where the public are invited to help clip thousands of hatchery smolts prior to release!

yellowfin
    Participant

just about all the salmon in the kaiapoi this year have been small but they are showing up the kaiapoi but yet nothing round makintoshes or the mak

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Got up at 3am Saturday and headed to the Opihi to try both the surf and gut. We arrived right on daybreak and just before my first cast a chap directly opposite hooked and landed a fish around 12lb. With his fish on the bank I made my first cast and hooked a fish right at my feet. Had a short battle and had a good mate tail it up the shingle for me. Weighed in at 15lb, my best yet. We spent the next hour in the same spot but I figure those two fish had been sitting in that spot over night and no more were coming in so gave the surf a go. My mates dad hooked a fish on his first cast in the surf which made me think I could be in for a limit bag ! His fish took a good 10 mins to land and was unfortunately foul hooked on the top of the head so was released. It was bigger than mine and we estimate 18lb. No more fish were caught while we were there so we were pretty happy to have landed two of the three fish caught that morning.

Also went to the Orari for half an hour in the surf but nothing doing so cleaned my fish and headed home.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey guys, just wondering what cumecs does the rakaia flow at when its good to fish?
    wud be good to know if its fishable or not before i waste a bunch of fuel getting down there haha
    cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

180cumecs is just about right, but coming down dirty again so mid to late week might be right.

Whos sick of this weather pattern?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.