Salmon Season 2009/2010

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 139 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Still very early in the season I know, but I spent a couple of hours at Mackintoshes this morning doing the old: cast, let sink, slow retrieve bit with no luck whatsoever! Had seen a young kid catch a small Kahawai from a dinghy earlier on, so thought I would have a crack as the boredom was certainly starting to set in. Cast & wind like crazy as soon as the zeddie hit the water, resulted in 4 fish from 5 casts. Proof I think that the populations of these school sized fish is healthy. Kept 2 for the bait bin as they were bleeding after absolutely impaling themselves on the treble.

Talk on the bank was that a Salmon or 2 had been taken there the previous weekend. Anyone else heard this?

baitman
    Participant

I saw 2 salmon lost tuesday 3rd at the ashburton mouth and a couple of searuns landed.
    Last wedensday afternoon/evening at the rakaia mouth there was heaps of fish in the mouth,trout all over the shop and the odd salmon breaching just inside the gut I saw maybe 6 or so but talking to the other guys they had been going all day.
    I counted 12 anglers only saw 1 trout taken the water is crystal clear can’t fool anything at the moment. Need a good fresh to get thing firing.

Jackfish
    Participant

Hey, is it best at low or high tide to catch kahawai at makintoshes rock?

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

When fishing MacIntoshes, you all know the cast upsrteam, let sink method, that is quite right.
    Be prepared to lose tackle, and MOST importantly, WATCH where the line enters the water. You will see a touch before you feel it. :wink:
    Oh yeah, in closing…….there may be a new “old” personality on the rocks again this summer….. :roll:
    ….can’t say too much :wink:

yellowfin
    Participant

Jackfish

trout28
    Participant

First salmon of the season from lower waimak. :wink:
    14 pound in excellant condition, not that long just very bulky…Maybe a good sign for the season.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi all,
    Where is the Rakaia mouth in relation to the north or south banks this season? Im looking for the easiest land access, havent been down there for a couple of years. cheers.

gconnell
    Participant

Hi
    The Rakaia mouth as at 29 November is very far south ,
    if you have a 4WD you shouldnt need to walk far.

fisho
    Participant

Waiting for the rivers to drop so I can go out salmon fishing….. cabin fever setting in!

yellowfin
    Participant

Arghhhhhhhhh! Brother inlaw this afternoon landed his first Salmon ever on his 3rd trip out, jammy bastard. What makes things worse he has never used freespool reels before, & had asked his mate to check out/ adjust his recently aquired gear. Whilst waiting he had a cast with his buddys rod, got a bit of an overrun, was sorting that out & nice 9.5lb hen took the zeddie! Nicely proportioned fish throughout its length, word is his fishing mate is spewing, lol.

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

A nice 22lb’er from just below the rikia road bridge.
    :grin: :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Very nice fish!!! :mrgreen: lol, still not on the board yet this season (Salmon wise) but nor are many others. Spent yesterday morning at Kairaki none landed there. Have heard the Rangi surf producing 1-2 per day, as is Hurunui. Waimak very slow going. Rakaia still the steadiest producer when water colour/levels allow, but not great numbers caught as of Sat morning anyways. Can only get better !!! :grin:

HIPP
    Participant

Nice fish leeston surfcaster,

I was out on the wiamak courtnay rd, saw one as he/she went by lol

broke the top ring on me rod ! was fishing with out it….must have looked stupid, but really I was tempting murphy:)

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Thanks guys.
    It was a good 30 minutes battle to get the thing landed. The hole that it came from is nothing more than a trickle now. Blasted river !
    Guess it means more time walking and looking and less time fishing :-(

Daren

yellowfin
    Participant

Waimakariri Salmon Fishing Report

Not sure if the Waimakariri River has fired up just yet. Only a few salmon being caught each day in the lower river from McIntoshes Hole to the mouth. Yesterday 1 February 2010 a 17 lb salmon was caught around 1pm. This small salmon, of about 6 lbs, was taken late afternoon. Plenty of smallish kahawai in the river though.
    Yellowfin :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members