Salmon Season 2009/2010

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 139 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)
  • Author

rdeejay
    Participant

brother was trolling the hole on sunday and got a few kahawai, spotted a salmon having a nosey at the ticer but nothing more. Someone landed a salmon on the shore.

HIPP
    Participant

spent the evning at the Waimak last night…less water than last time…nothing doing…very clean water.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have spent the last few days at the Mak mouth chasing kahawai on light tackle,it seems that the salmon are slow with 1-4 caught per day!!..small fish at that too 3-5kg.Prior to last week had fished the rakaia at the pool 2km below main road bridge,managed a couple 6 and 9kg with a typical morning producing 1-2 fish amongst 5 rods,seeing the odd fish rise but not many.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Hey Kevo was weight are the ky your catching ay the mak can ya get at them with a 8wt fly rod? :D

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi yakkaman,on thurs last week I was catching them on the north side on a 5weight sage which handled the 2-3kg fish pretty well!! Its not everyday that the Kahawai are within casting distance for the fly rod at the mak so normally I start off with light trout spinning gear then switch once the fish move in close!!! those kahawai put salmon to shame mate and it is definitely an untapped resource in canterbury providing hours of full on reel screamin action!! and all to myself lol!

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Those who know Keith Chin can wish him a happy birthday today, also congrat him for the 15lber in the Rakaia last week. Well done mate!

yellowfin
    Participant

There is the odd salmon to be caught at the Rakaia,but they are few and far between.Was at the mak mouth yesterday and seen only one kahawai landed,no salmon but 4 the day before!

yellowfin
    Participant

was at the mak last night for a bit lost 2 big kahawai inthe space of 5 min. was bait fishing though also landed 1 kahawai 8 mullet 2 red co after dark and a small skate

mulletman
    Participant

when were they caught because i was there from 10 to 2 and saw only one kahawai on saturday :!:

yellowfin
    Participant

like 9pm-1030pm and my bait of choice was crayfish and pillie

rdeejay
    Participant

mulletman

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

mulletman

yellowfin
    Participant

Have been fishing the mak mouth from the south side this week,these are the scores as I have seen them!..today sth 2 nth 0 I managed a10lber..yesterday 0, weds 2 nth side, Tues 3 south side 1 from boat,Monday 6 caught 3 each side,so picking up a little but still very slow….PS has anyone had trouble uploading pics?? “The image file you tried to attach is invalid” is what I get,can anyone help with this?

yellowfin
    Participant

Zac posted the following, very helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=525&p=8776&hilit=upload#p8776

yellowfin
    Participant

A 13lber from the rakaia

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members