Salmon Season 2009/2010

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 139 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)
  • Author

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

There’s a Salmon Farm behind Waiau village that has a neat stream flowing through it, (about as big as the Styx River at Spencerville). Not sure if you can still fish it but this time of year is excellent to be in that area.
    Take a shotgun for bunnies, 7mm-08 for deer and a bag for your Salmon (take your rod too…)
    The stream flows into the Waiau just downstream from the village.
    Couldn’t dream up directions as it is a long time since I was up there but the returns come in every season.
    Check on Google Maps for the access point, I believe it is a Fish and Game angler access way tho’.
    Might be advisable to check with Fish n Game first.

gconnell
    Participant

cheers
    i will try to find it !!!

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Had a look on the map but there have been some changes up there since my last trip.
    There’s a place near Rotherham (near Waiau) with a Salmon Farm but this is now a private enterprise (Google for more info)
    The Satellite map of the area doesn’t show the familiar track or buildings where I thought I was so that call to Fish and Game I believe is a best first call in this instance.
    There are some fantastic guts and rifts up in the upper Waiau and you’d probably be the only one on the river for miles.
    If it were me, I’d stooge about for an afternoon/evening, find a spot, gut, hole, and hit it at first light as the buggers wake up!
    Don’t forget the shotty or .22 for a nice fat bunny and there should be plenty of wild mushrooms about from now onward.
    Sheeeeeeeeit! I miss the homeland!!

gconnell
    Participant

thanks mate…
    i know of a nice pool with a hard outflow that i have seen produce fish in the past…
    if no salmon around i will try my luck with the fly or a wee spinner for a trout…

yellowfin
    Participant

When in doubt, cast that lil spinner out!!

gconnell
    Participant

my first ever salmon…

a coloured 11lber from the waiau river … 4th april 2010

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8686/p1010002u.jpg

using a light ticer Kev….
    …it coloured up alot after it was out of the water..

yellowfin
    Participant

Well,I don’t think I’ll be out chasing the mighty salmon again this season,so I might as well post the pic of my first fish caught on Dec 4th..15lbs.Well done Henry,the light stuff worked!!!…keen for some fly fishing now mate?

gconnell
    Participant

thanks mate…
    good luck for the trout…
    keep me posted … we should go out for a trout togetha 1 day…

yellowfin
    Participant

We should mate,thats why I asked you if you were keen in my previous post lol…

yellowfin
    Participant

Is the time over for landing a Salmon this season? I’ve tried to catch my first ever Salmon but no luck…..I don’t think I can wait ’til next season, otherwise I just have to find some nice trout fishing spots in my area….Well done to the guys that caught something this season!!!

brumoo
    Participant

not over yet plenty of salmon up the river

gunnercoops
    Participant

saw salmon in the shallows at MCleans at the weekend

yellowfin
    Participant

any one know what the numbers being caught are like???? and where theyre being caught, saw one guy leaving macintoshes today with one,

mulletman
    Participant

saw a few up the mak gourge. pretty black looking :?

yellowfin
    Participant

when were you up there mate?, i was up by the gorge on saturday with dad and had no luck :( , fished for ages, chated to some jet boat fellas at around 5.30pm who said they had only seen 3 salmon early that morning above the gorge where the river bends quite sharply , as soon as we heard that we loaded the quad back onto the trailer and headed home …..

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members