Salmon Season 2009/2010

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 139 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi brumoo,I used these jars which are 230ml as agee jars are just too much for me to get through once opened!!..I bought the jars plus seals from croftpac on grafton street by ami stadium for 75c each!!! they are perfect for salmon and are about the same size as a john west tin!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Went 2 the mac 4 a few casts earlier only 10 of us down there, ended up losing what must have been a real big salmon as it took off like a freight train to the surf in one huge run, and couldnt move the damn thing and the bend on the shimano said it all lol , once i managed to slowly bring him in. i got him to with in 40m of the shore and the hook just fell out, pretty guttered but its still gud 2 have a fight n.e way :) also does anyone know if any fish are being caught in the middle reaches of the mac ?

yellowfin
    Participant

Was at the mouth this morn..nothing caught at all…maybe the best is over for the season!!!

brumoo
    Participant

Was at the Mouth this morning north side 30 to 40 fishing still a bit discoloured one fish taken 9:30am 16lb 8ozs nothing after that i left at 10:30am

yellowfin
    Participant

went 4 a fish earlier with my dad at the waimak mouth 3.30pm-7.20pm, one salmon was landed and 2 barracuda one of which i caught, Still pretty quiet but hopefully things may pick up :)

fisho
    Participant

When the river is Low and clear like it was before the fresh the fish seem to stock up at the mouth and the rocks. When there is a fresh and there is abit more water they shoot off upstream. so i think the middle reaches will start to fish well when it starts to clear. But there will also be fresh fish turning up at the mouth.

Looks like a good job there kevo.. yum yum

yellowfin
    Participant

You are exactly right fisho,the fish have shot upstream now the river is cool,and I know of fish seen and caught in the middle reaches this last 2 days!!!

fisho
    Participant

yea me too….

mulletman
    Participant

ive recently seen a photo of a 30 pound salmon taken at macintoshes rocks 13 years ago on a real small zed spinner

brumoo
    Participant

know of 1 salmon taken around lunchtime just above old bridge looked to be about 14-16 lb maybe some still waiting to bolt upriver

yellowfin
    Participant

holy shit kevo, I heard that here in NZ if you catch one salmon in a season you`re a happy man… You`re a legend, man…
    How often do you go out?

yellowfin
    Participant

lol mate,it’s true that many angler’s would be happy with one salmon a season,but what is also true is that there are many anglers who score 10 or more each year mate.Guys who put the time in will learn more and most likely catch a few more too!!.Went to the mouth this morn nth side for an hour,seen nothing ,so i checked out the piece between the 2 bridges,was there 5 mins when i got a great look at a nice salmon trying to get over the bar which was only a few inches deep!! I could see it swimming about clearly in the shallow water before it bolted upstream! I found a pool 1.5km above the bridge where 4 fish were landed this morn!!!! I had a lone of one for a while and another touch bugger it!!!

gconnell
    Participant

hi
    does anyone know what the
    waiau river is like for salmon in the area
    up by hanmer at theis time of the year,

yellowfin
    Participant

I have seen fish caught below hanmer at this time of year mate!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes,yes I know what I said about releasing the next one,but it completely escaped my mind until I donged it on the head!!! my bad!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members