Surfcasting In Timaru

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Shingle

yellowfin
    Participant

I just read this that would explain why the wind always seem to calm down at night,

” if the days are very hot and windy. The wind will frequently die down in the evenings and fishing will become more pleasant.

Another consideration on the subject of wind is that during the day the wind may be blowing in off the sea. Then in the evening the wind dies down and blows back the other way. This change of wind direction is caused by land heating during the day and cooling at night, while the temperature of the sea remains constant. This effect happens a lot during the sum­mer particularly on the West Coast. It means that the sea can be rough during the day and then flatten at night. This makes after dark the ideal time for surfcasting. “

storm
    Participant

yeah ive been fishing later at night for about the last week or so , there just hasnt been as much activity as there is mid to late afternoon . I have made a new rod holder which holds the butt of my rod about 1400mm from ground level which keeps my line well clear of the breakers which has made it real easy to fish in marginal conditions

yellowfin
    Participant

What lenth is the rod your using?

storm
    Participant

12.5 ft

yellowfin
    Participant

Might start fishing down Timaru ways again since it’s getting into summer now. Never fished at the Rangitata mouth, so might give that a try this weekend. Haven’t been to any of the other beaches like Orari, but I suppose they’re pretty much all the same? Not sure how to get to Orari off the main road, but I’ve been to Pareora beach a couple times and it seems to be good fishing, just further to travel.

Giller
    Participant

Hey Zac,if your heading to rangi this weekend for a surfcast,i have a caravan in the camp so know quite a bit of info with the surfcasting there if you want some small tips on what part of the beach and the baits as is some seriously large gillers out there,i have a pic onhere in the latest catches topic of the one i got back in march. .If not is all cool.just let me know if your want to .Regards Neil

yellowfin
    Participant

Depends on the weather if I’ll go or not, and it’s not looking that great at the moment. Meant to be rain and southerlies on Saturday. Just wondering what side is better, since I’ve never been there before. I see on Google maps there is Wrens Rd on the North side and Rangitata Huts Rd on the South side.

Giller
    Participant

Hey Zac,definitely the south side,i always had excellent results on the south side between the track to the beach and the two story bach to the right,is HEAPS of seven gillers out there and just behind the breakers,a group of us have had 3 on at once.managed to land large fat ele’s 4 weeks ago,smallest was 12lb and largest was 19lb.if ya trying for the gillers,the fresh mullet works like a magnet to them down there.Also it will be quite unpleasant if its a howling southerly.If you down there over xmas let me know and ya can come over for some beers,bourbons if i down there that weekend .

Good luck if you head out there.

regards
    Neil

Giller
    Participant

PS:i have not heard of many gillers caught on the north side but they do get there fair share of some large salmon on the north,last time i was there the river coming straight down the valley and out to sea as they had to blow the bank to stop from flooding so no lagoon there any more unless one has developed since i was last there.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I definitely wont be going out this weekend by the looks of the weather, but maybe next week or weekend, all depends on the weather. Don’t know if it’s an advantage or disadvantage living in Ashburton, between Christchurch and Timaru, but I suppose there’s more choices of places to go. Closest beach for good fishing seems to be Dorie, and I think it’s about as far as Rangitata from here. Closest beach is only 10 minutes down the road, only problem is that there seems to be millions of dogfish there, and although there’s still other fish around it’s hard to get through the dogfish.

Giller
    Participant

you must be meaning wakanui (ashvegas) ???
    if you do know of a weekend ya heading out to rangi south side give me a yell as i planning on heading away for a few nights sometime over the xmas period.but only got stats off and then have 2 weeks leave off from the 5th .so could catch up down there if ya keen .

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I mean Wakanui beach. There are some good Eles and School sharks etc, just too many dogfish. There is another beach on the South side of the Ashburton River called Ashton that’s right beside the river, but I’m not sure what’s like. I’ll post if I’m heading down for a fish, but it all depends on the weather.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to Rangitata South beach today for a fish. Got there around 3PM, fished till about 10.20 PM. Was a bit windy when I got there, but it calmed down a bit as it started to get dark. Caught about 5 or so small red cod, and saw other people catching them around the same size. Seems to be a lot of red cod around at this time of the year in the southern areas. Caught one small School shark, and saw one other small one caught. Other than that there was nothing else caught that I saw. It was still worth going out, now I know where it is. It seems like a nice place, and bigger than I expected. Called into the Tackle shop place and got a couple weights. The guy who runs the shop said he sold most of his stock and I’m not sure if he’s going to keep the place open or not. Might head out again tomorrow or next weekend.

Giller what parts of the beach do you think are better? I fished first at the South side where you first come in, then moved down to about the middle where you said was good. Walked down further towards the mouth, but it seemed to be really dirty water.

Giller
    Participant

Zac, im off down there new years day(thur) till prob monday afternoon.anywhere between the track in front of the camping ground to about the cliffs is good area to put rods up in . in front of the 2 story bach is best as its sandy there and not as much shingle,have always had good success with getting onto a giller there, i dont know why but i think it has something to do with the sand there and changes from shingle to sand etc .use the crab for the rig there at mid evening to dark, and the fresh pipi for the ele’s, but make sure you tie the crab and pipi on as will fall off in the cast . and also fresh mullet for the giller’s. if your coming down give me a text or something , my # is 027-593-2966 , Cheers Neil

PS: use some heavy trace line,is some big monsters out there just behind the breakers :D

PPS: Yes it is a nice place and very peaceful to get away to for just on ya own or for a family weekend away.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.