Surfcasting In Timaru

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    AL
    Participant

My mate and his family have gone back to Wanganui now but he took back 2 big chilly bins of fillets.We went out to browns beach and got 14 ellies over the holidays.I have been concentrating on salmon lately.Went up to Hanmer Springs 2 weeks ago and fished morning from 6.00am – bout 9.30am then again at night from bout 7.30 – 10.00 in the Waiau river, got 1 hook up but lost it as it went straight for the foul ground.my first time salmon fishing so didnt expect the bastards to take so much line so quick.will know better next time.am going to have a go in lake hawea in 2 wks then off to Wanganui for the annual Eides surfcasting competition that goes for 2 days,have fished in that for 14 years so its hard to break tradition.

how did

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Al.Just a few rig and grey boys down aorangi rd and smithfield beach and a kawahi south beach.As for the xmas and new year…not so bad a we bit too long 5 weeks in total and finally go back on the 28th.

Happy new Year:cool:

man the fishing sounds good in timaru with all sorts of fish to catch on the wharf. i went fishing off the rocks there years ago and it was awesome fishing..

great to see people catching salmon on the wharf heres a great tip on catching one .. put a pilchard on a float and see if theres a salmon around it will monster it. well wish i bloody lived in timaru the fishing sounds so good not like crappy chch its crap fishing

yellowfin
    Participant

I just got back from Timaru. I went up about lunch time and fished the wharf for some more mullet for bait. Then went down to Pareora beach. I fished right beside the big pipe from the freezing works. Its a constant supply of burley with loads of blood and bits and peices coming out throughout the day, I wouldn’t be surprised if it attracted some of the bigger species of sharks in closer like makos. There were loads of school sharks around, and also quite a few dogfish earlier on. All I ended up catching was about 10 medium sized school sharks, some dogfish and a carpet shark. I hooked into something big on my 12kg rod, but by the time I went to strike, it was gone. I think it was possibly a seven giller or big school shark. I think I might go up again when its a bit calmer and try for more sharks.

storm
    Participant

wish that noreast would go away been to rough for the last couple of days to even get a line in the water . I caught a stingray on friday after work it put up a pretty good fight , it emptied my spool twice and took about 1 hour to get the dam thing out of the water . anyone know the aversize size of them ? This one about 1.5 mtrs wide dont know how much it weighed but i needed a beer after i got it in !

yellowfin
    Participant

that sounds like a good ray aaron got one like that at kaikoura a few weeks ago so id say its bigger than average mayb althoughthis was off the wharf so nowhere to really land it but we pretty much had it on the surface after about 5min/10min until we were bout to cut it off when it dove deep got tail wrapped and snapped us off

storm
    Participant

this one rolled onto its back in the surf otherwise i doubt i would have beached it .
    btw its steve not aaron !

yellowfin
    Participant

steve? no im meaning aaron who i was in kaikoura with like 3 weeks ago jones jr on the site

storm
    Participant

yeah realised that after i posted sorry dude !

yellowfin
    Participant

i should hav put a ,thingy in between it but im too lazy to worry about all that stuff

yellowfin
    Participant

yea sweet as lol im greg

yellowfin
    Participant

Where did you get the stingray Storm? I heard they are more caught around sandy areas.

storm
    Participant

hey zac
    near the orari mouth did you get much wind down in pareora on saturday ?

yellowfin
    Participant

It was a bit windy earlier on, but the winds always seem to die down later on in the day.

storm
    Participant

might shoot down that way on friday for a flick is it shingle beach or rock down there ?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.