Surfcasting In Timaru

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Giller
    Participant

the gillers also seem to come on to feed there around 7am till mid morning then they bugger off,maybe it gets too hot for them.and the rig i always caught them and the ele’s from 7pm on wards as the sun is just going down under the coastline.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out again today. Just decided to go last minute again at around 2.30. Went out with my cousin again as he’s down from the North Island for a while, and he’s wanting to catch some sharks. Seems to be LOADS of small red cod around still. Was casting out a rig with small size 10 trout hooks trying for some herring, and ended up hooking two or three cod at once a couple times. Only ended up with the one Herring. For some reason I couldn’t keep bait on any of my rigs on long. Was thinking it might be crabs, or just the rough sea. Caught one big crab and kept it for bait. Didn’t see any sharks of any type caught at all. Weird that there doesn’t seem to be any dogfish about. Might go out again on Thursday possibly, depending on the weather.

Giller
    Participant

Zac if ya off down there thur give me a text.i’m heading down there then till monday or tuesday. will hope to get on to the gillers then . give me a buzz if your thinking of coming down .Yes theres lots of cod there now since the trawlers cant come in so close now.get a few average sized ones and some tiny ones.
    use ya herring for the gillers in the mornings, around 7am onwards and you should get onto something large .
    regards
    Neil

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes I’ll let you know if I’m going down or not. Weather isn’t looking too bad for the rest of the week, with just northeasterlies mainly. Was hoping the sea might calm down a bit, although I don’t know what the conditions are usually like there.

Edit: Looks like a southerly change for the weekend with some rain, but still good until Friday.

Giller
    Participant

Hey Zac, forgot to mention that they hold a surfcasting comp down at rangi on the south side on the 2nd if i remember right it usually kicks off around 10am. . is where any one who is around can enter , is i think only $5 to enter. alot of the bach owners come out of the woodwork to have a fun time out .
    is some nice wee prizes. is more for the fun tho. Found out there has been some large gillers caught there on monday, 3 on at once to ppl in the same crowd .
    so sounds like some fishies out there at the moment ,the rig are still present, but the ele’s are a bit few and far between,maybe they popped off for new years break them selves.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just got back from Rangitata. Went out on Thursday night and fished till about 12.30. Caught the usual red cod/school shark/dogfish. Fished today from 5AM till 8PM. Caught a couple red cod and a Carpet shark, then hooked a small sevengiller around 8AM. I was planning on letting it go, but got talked into keeping by some of the locals. Entered the competition that started at 10, but didn’t catch anything worth weighing in. A lot of people turned out though. Seems to be a lot of crabs around, and several were caught. Not sure what the prizes went to.

Giller
    Participant

Hey Zac, i wasnt a local, i was the guy with the tribal tattoos on the left arm and my dad was with me.Yeah a heap of crabs about lately , was a nice wee shark ya got tho .

yellowfin
    Participant

yea went out at amberley today and alot of crabs there as well maybe the righ hav stopped for a break too and aint eating the bastards

yellowfin
    Participant

The sevengiller I just caught on a big piece of dogfish. I was using chunks of red cod, but with the amount of crabs around it didn’t stay on long. I’d never thought of using dogfish untill a while ago, but it seems to stay on the hook really well, and you’ll catch School sharks, Carpet Shark, Skate etc on it.

I might go out to the Rangitata again sometime, or go a bit further south to Browns Beach.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

When using the spinys for bait how do you bait it on the hook, by this i mean with the skin on or without skin, and just bind up the skinless bait on the hook?

yellowfin
    Participant

With the skin on. That’s what keeps it on the hook and away from crabs etc.

been out fishing 4 times this year at dorie. what a waste of time fish arent about at all. to many crabs no schoolies apart from small ones. went fishing friday morn didnt even get one bite was like fishing in toliet. last year was golden this year custard.

zac how have you found the fishing this year no decent schoolies or anything. got some rig but they are impossible to catch now due to a crab invasion. good to see the doggie bait working on a sevengiller. hard work fishing these days

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi dorie beach fisherman. To be honest I’ve hardly been out fishing this summer. Went to Dorie one night, but wasn’t very good conditions and only ended up catching a couple dogfish. Haven’t fished at the Pier for ages now, and have really only fished local beaches. I’m hoping to get out a couple more times and target School sharks/Seven Gillers. Haven’t had a good size School shark this year, and only had small Kahawai. Some big red cod still around at the southern beaches though.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to Rangitata again last night, and till about 10am today. Caught loads of Dogfish last night. Was a lot of bird activity and some massive work ups from around 8AM onwards, thousands of birds working massive schools of big kahawai, all down the beach at one stage. There were so many some were beaching themselves. I casted out a small spinner and caught 5 overall, all really good size. Hooked one massive one, took loads of line and I could hardly stop it, then lost it as it was getting closer into the waves. Note this was a really light, really old spoon type lure with rusty hooks, was lucky to cast it 10 meters. Gotta buy some proper lures and try for some more kahawai next time.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Zac

I’ve been reading all your old posts Zac. Seems you went through all the exploration of Timaru fishing spots that I’m now going through. The whole area seems pretty fished out compared to what I’m used to.

Anyway what was your final conclusion? I’ve got two teenagers I’m trying to teach fishing (surfcasting and rocks and LBG) but finding ANY fish has been a mission so far. They can’t cast a long way yet so do you have any suggestions for a good beach to attack?

Rocky

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.