Surfcasting In Timaru

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone here has ever fished off the wharf or rocks in timaru. I have been there a couple of times and i have caught heaps of red cod, warahou, spotties, and

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Zac

I’ve never lived in Timaru so have very rarely had the chance especially when I was a kid and didn’t drive to do any fishing in Timaru. However, about 12 or 11 years ago when I was 9 or 10 I went fishing at the wharf there where the fishing trawlers were coming in. I only had a little rod fishing for small fish, I hooked a big red cod! Me being a little kid that was exciting! Never got it up though as I was using these tiny little hooks, it just fell off.

Went surfcasting with some guy my grandad knew a few years before that one evening (I must’ve been 7 or 8) on a beach just north of Timaru. I caught a hearing and my cousin caught a paddle crab. There was another fisherman along that beach that had a bucket full of Kaiwhai.

These are really cruddy memories…lol. Have much better fishing stories! Maybe will have to go and have a fish at Timaru maybe sometime soon, a strait drive down the highway isn’t too far from Templeton.

Cheers

Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant
    Hi. thanks for the info. Now i know what is there.
    yellowfin
    Participant

When we went fishing off the beach it was summer, sort’ve like xmas school holiday time (sometime within that 6 week period, atleast I think they get 6 weeks or is it longer?). Anyway……

Even though I’m 21 I only got my license in August last year so it is now time to explore! Would’n’t mind doing some surfcasting along the beaches south of Birdlings Flat. I used to fish off the Pier in New Brighton alot as I lived near by (don’t now). Would catch Kaiwhai and herrings mainly, I remember one night being there and the Kaiwhai must’ve been aplenty in the water. Strikes everytime your line went down! It wasn’t often like that. Seen a sole caught off there and a monkfish, just one elephant fish. Even though the red cod isn’t considered a prized fish it was good fun catching them, I remember one night in the dead of winter getting big tugs on the line. Heaps of fun. Quick quesiton, red cod are a fish mainly caught in winter right? Anyway, enough ramblings. :cool:

These warahou sound interesting, were they easy to catch? I’ve never caught one.

Cheers

Aaron

P.S. Went for a trout fish in the Waimak this evening, nothing unfortunately.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi. I mainly fish of the new brighton peir but i have also fished a lot of other places around the south island. And Red cod are mainly caught in winter off the peir but at the moment there are heaps of red cod in timaru off the wharf, most are only small – medium size though. The warahou are fairly easy to catch.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cool pics! You’ve certainly caught more of a variety of fish at the pier than I have. Just Kaiwhai, herrings and red cod for me. Haven’t ever got anything else, oh….and dogfish…..annoying things!

Hmm, might be time for a fish at the pier. lol. Wednesday could be ok with high tide at 4:05pm in the afternoon, however the northwester is going to pick up in the afternoon and be gusty which can be annoying when fishing there. Thursday at 5:01pm would be perfect with little wind, the northeasterly should stay away however I’ll be away that day so Friday I think fits the bill perfectly, will be a light to moderate northeasterly but nothing fresh and gusty. Should be good with the evening high tide around 5:55pm. The swell should be on the small side to which would be good.

Cheers

Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Just updating this topic. On the few times i have been fishing in timaru oer the last couple of months i have either caught, seen, or heard of these fish being caught there.

Red Cod

Barracouta

Moki

Warahou

Yellow Eyed Mullet

Short Tailed Sting Ray

Skate

Spotties

Rig Shark

Dogfish

Salmon

Trumpeter

Kahawai

Very Rare but people have also caught blue cod there

Also heard or Elephant Fish, School Shark, Seven Gillers around the area so it should be possible to get them off the wharf

And i also heard a story about a flounder net being ripped apart by a big shark

yellowfin
    Participant

This is all from the wharf?

Cheers
    A J

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes. Most of this is caught around Christmas time

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds pretty awesome.

Will have to try and get down there soon!

Thanks for the list.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Another fish to add to the list is [b:2drw5lp9]Tarakihi[/b:2drw5lp9]

yellowfin
    Participant

I havent fished on the wharf for years , but work for the port so get to see a few salmon swimming round. Theres a lot of good sized moki, butterfish etc . All hard to catch.

yellowfin
    Participant

When you say BIG sharks how big is BIG. And do you know what sort of sharks? Mako, Thresher or just seven gill?

yellowfin
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

Were was that picture taken?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.