Surfcasting In Timaru

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Seagull. Have you seen any big sharks caught off the Timaru wharf? I was thinking that next summer i might have a go for a shark if there are any there. I would probably

yellowfin
    Participant

Does the shark fishing tend to taper off towards winter down them ways? I sort of found that the big sevengillers and greyboys seem to be at their peak around maybe November-late Febuary up here and about this time of year its usually little schoolies and spikys replacing them.I guess that sort of makes sense because alot of the goodsize sharks we got over the summer were heavy females that looked like they were ready to drop.The reason I ask is because Ive had a few people tell me that winter is the time for good sharks but im wondering if thats more for offshore species,y’know white pointers etc.I reckon you could near take any size shark on a surfcaster (EXCLUDING 5 metre Great Whites etc) lol, provided you have a good set up and arnt in to much of a hurry to land it.Pound for pound I reckon a good greyboy is by far a better fighter than a sevengiller of the same size.My weapon of choice is a 16 foot 15kg powerstick and tica GG100 cybernetic spooled with 300 yds of 35lb braid and 60lb shockleader.Its heavy and cumbersome but it does make light work of good fish.Im gonna spend this winter trying for rig and moki but I cant wait till the sharks come back.GOOD FUN! ;)

yellowfin
    Participant

The best shark fishing seems to peek in december

AL
    Participant

Hi I live in Timaru.Shifted down here from Wanganui jan 07.I was the vice president of the wanganui surfcasting and angling club.I have had some pretty good days fishing down here.Have only fished in 3 places 1 St Andrews…2 North mole…3 Wharf.Since I have been here I have caught Kahawai,Red cod,Spotties,Carpet shark,Greenbone,skate and ellies.The last three I have never seen before but they were fun to catch and eat.Always on the lookout for more spots so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Al:)

yellowfin
    Participant

I mainly only fish the wharf. I find it to be the easiest place to go. A lot can be caught there and there is always a good supply of mullet around to take up time, and to stock up on bait. I have caught a couple Carpet Shark there the last few times I went, also a lot of red cod around at the moment. I remember last year there were loads of good size red cod around over christmas time.

I have heard a couple storys of some really big sharks and stingrays aroun the area, one from just a couple weeks ago when some guy got pulled in by a massive shark, i’m not sure what type it was. I’ve caught one big stingray there and heard of a 200 KG one that washed up at Caroline Bay.

Heard of Blue Cod at the beach accross from the wharf at certain times of the year, and I think there might be a chance of Blue Cod from the shore further South.

AL
    Participant

Went down to the wharf for a while today and had no luck,tho thier was this other guy who caught 3 warahou & 2 trevalley along with the usual red cod.thier were an unusual number of seals in the harbour today wether that made a difference or not Im not sure.I only ever saw 1 seal in my 16 yrs in Wanganui and I think he was lost.going to have a go again tommorrow.will try a different spot along the beach somewhere.Will keep you posted on the results.

Cheers Al:)

yellowfin
    Participant

The bigger Warahou and Trevally can be fun to catch on lighter gear. If you tie up some sabiki rigs with small size 10 hooks, or just buy premade ones from any tackle shop, you should be able to get a lot of Yellow Eyed Mullet and Warahou.

For the red cod I would use probably size 5/0 hooks and 1/0 or 2/0 for the Trevally. If your trying for the bigger sharks that may be around the area, Make up a 2 hook ledger rig with size 7/0+ size hooks with stong line or a wire trace and a big bit of Yellow Eyed Mullet, Warehou or Red Cod and cast out as far as you can. I have also heard of Barracouta being caught off the wharf, so if you get enough Mullet you could throw out a few live baits under a float.

I’m not sure on the best way to catch stingray, but I would say staylining a whole mullet would work well. I have caught Stingray on a big chunk of Warahou as well.

I think I might go for a fish off the wharf next Saturday and see what I get.

AL
    Participant

Cheer for that.Its all very different fishing down here and it will just take abit of time to adjust to the conditions.Up north we mainly got Snapper,Kahawai,Red Cod and Gurnard.Went down to mole about 10.30 last night for a try but only got a few bites and no fish before the rain came.It looks pretty dismal today so will be at home doing my paperwork:X

yellowfin
    Participant
    People also get Salmon of the wharf at Timaru. I think most people catch them just on bait when targeting other species. Ive seen a couple caught, but never got one myself.
    AL
    Participant

Its been an interest of mine for a while to catch a salmon.thats one of the reasons why I shifted down here was for extra fishing techniques and experiences

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi I live 10 min from the beach.Some gr8 places to go are Smithfield beach to the north of the reef.Also further north to conollys rd where there are good numbers of elephant fish and rig.Smith field (next to the freezing works) where i have caught skate,sting ray,rig,elephant fish,moki.Then theres south beach (over the back of the fuel storage depot down the port)where theres a few kawahi and

AL
    Participant

Thanks for that info.Ive got some friends down from Wanganui for 3 weeks and they are keen to catch an elephant fish or three.We tried connollys road last weekend till 1.00am but only got a few rigs.We will give it a go by the freezing works tonight.will keep you posted on the results:)

yellowfin
    Participant

Thought about doing the same after I posted that last

AL
    Participant

Hi there,we thought the same but the wind died down about 7.00pm so we were off.We went down to connolly’s rd and got an 11lb,10lb elly’s

yellowfin
    Participant

Wicked shit not bad going at all. May see you there,not quite sure whats happening yet.

Mike

kiwihunter1@hotmail.com send me an email if you like an I’ll let you know

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.