Send us a picture

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 104 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

not exactly a fish shot but does get ya yearning for a beach all to yourself

yellowfin
    Participant

I know that length of beach very well. You are right about it being deserted. I once caught a large sevengill shark in that very spot many years ago. I decided to take it home for food. However there was no one to help me with it – except my black Labrador dog named Reg who was totally useless! I only had an old car at the time which

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I got a six foot plus sevengiller out there last year, should have seen my wifes face when I slapped the fillets on the bench.:P

yellowfin
    Participant

I got this stingray on sunday off the bluff wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice! did ya eat him?

yellowfin
    Participant

1st snapper for 06 season just a wee one takin off Grove jetty,Inner Queen Charlotte Sound

yellowfin
    Participant

Not a bad 1 from Picton area 06

yellowfin
    Participant

This one wasnt weighed.The knife measures 26cm

Sevengillz
    Participant

Mate James with his 1st ever Sevengill.

Sevengillz
    Participant

James with a

Sevengillz
    Participant

James with another greyboy (tope)

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice! How do you

Sevengillz
    Participant

An old red from Seaview.Measured roughly 90cm

Sevengillz
    Participant

The sevengillers and the bigger greyboys normally end up on the BBQ and the smaller greys usually in the fry pan.Theres a tecnique to filleting these and about the time we were getting these sharks we had no idea so we basically just filleted them like a cod :D

In the end we still ended up with some nice steaks and they went down a treat.

If you get one that you wanna keep then you need to get rid of the fins,head,tail and guts asap and I was told that scrubbing the gut cavity out is also a good idea,you want to get rid of as much of the red stuff as you can.

As far as the cooking side of it goes,well you can do pretty much whatever you want with it.The thing with these sharks is they taste much the same no matter what you do with it

If the swells not to big I prefer to gut n wash standing in the surf.If you feel the need to wash the flesh at home then try not to run it under fresh water until its about to be cooked.

Lemon is a definate,maybe sum sweet chilly sauce or something but normally its just lemon for me.I dont see the point in adding all sorts of stuff to it otherwise youll prob forget what youre eating!

I had an illustrated step by step guide on how to fillet them properly,so Ill try find it and post the pics.There may be something on this site im not sure.

P.S I dont kill them all.Sevengillers normally go back,I prefer the schoolies.:)

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Was wondering have you ever caught gurnard at seaview i find this beach is probably one of the best locations for shark fishing on the coast and it would seem you 2 have found the success it can produce.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members