Salmon Season 2009/2010

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 139 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 140 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Yip a good fresh will see a nice run of fish head up river..as for this seasons tally? lets just say I don’t need any more lol..into double figures now!

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Ahaaaa! A man of my own ethics.
    Top reply Kevo.
    A few years ago (Allan will remember his limit in my boat in about 75 minutes….) I set a personal season limit of 10.
    As it happened, I bagged 11 for the season and was very happy to enjoy the spoils for a whole year plus, until more “stock” was “stacked” in the cupboard.
    That season there were reports of anglers with tallies over 60 Salomn and they were all good size buggers.
    Maybe a season limit might be worthy of consideration as some fishos do catch a lot more than others and if they continue to “live” on the water, the returns might be affected for future restocks.
    (Just a thought)

fisho
    Participant

I couldnt agree more Lyndsey, People are always complaining of dwindling fish numbers and the last thing they look at is them selves. Most salmon anglers are great but there is the few out there who will keep fishing every day no matter how many fish they catch. some guys down at the rangi and raikaia have already more than 20+ fish. this in my opion is just to many for one angler and affecting the fish stocks. Good to see someone else who thinks there should be a season limit.

back in the old days you would have to pack your backpack to make your trip down to the mouth / river for the day if nothing happened by lunch time you would be off home. now with 4wd bikes some people who live down at the mouth of these salmon rivers will make 6 – 10 trips aday just to see if anyone is catching fish. as soon as one person catches a fish the txt go out and there will be 20+ anglers on the river mouth. Now in the old days most of those fish would have got through untouched.

You should be given 10 “clip” tags at the start of the season and thats your limit. if you want to get more tags you would have to buy them. same system as alot of overseas countrys use for fish and game. 10 fish is more than enough for one angler over a season and most samlon anglers will be lucky to catch 5 fish in a good season.

just my 2 cents…..

yellowfin
    Participant

I also agree,10 fish is heaps for any one person!! I know guys who catch dozens of fish a season, and I have always wondered”what the hell do they do with them?”Personally, I don’t need more salmon,but that won’t stop me from fishing for them as that’s the part I enjoy most!! I have stated to several anglers at the mouth this last week that I’d like to release any more fish I catch, as they would have a better chance of surviving that than being tapped on the head!!..I’m not sure how some of the other fishers out there would take it as many are a bit old school!! “why release a fish that you could have given to me?” which would sort of defeat the purpose of it all!!!.I can remember as a kid hauling trout out of the Avon on the worm by the dozen.In those mid 80s days releasing trout was in it’s infancy in NZ,but look how attitudes have changed since then? Some people would like you to believe that salmon don’t survive the rigours of being caught and released when fresh from the sea,but I don’t think this is at all the case, if proper fish handling techniques are employed,with the salmon being landed as soon as possible! I hopefully will get the opportunity to test it out…

fisho
    Participant

Great ot hear Kevo, I just wish i was in your situation and caught more salmon this season. but havnt put much time in so far.

You know the next one you catch will be a 20lber and you have told all these people your going to release it… If you choose to release it, it might be hard. but when you see that fish swimming away its a good feeling also.!

but its totaly up to you kevo…. Good on ya.

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s a great feeling mate,and I have done it before just not at the mouth!! but I won’t mind as long as I have it on camera!!!

fisho
    Participant

Look forward to seeing the photo’s. And get some photos of the old guys jaw’s wide open when you put it back lol!!!

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Another option is to have the bag limit at 2 per person per day then reduce it to one per person per day during March and April in conjunction with the reduction of fishing in the western area after March 1st (if that is still happening).
    Spawning water closures are as important as bag limits and they are both there for the same reason.
    Now wait for the whingers to get wind of my comments here and see how unpopular I’ll be in a day or two……My kids won’t complain in 10 years time though I bet!
    I can recall the bag limits at 4 Salmon and 6 Trout per day. Hell’s teeth, talk about mayhem!!
    Couldn’t do that nowadays, the resource couldn’t sustain it.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was thinking some of the same things the other day when looking at pictures and seeing how many people are fishing for salmon. How do the salmon get a chance to grow if there’s hundreds of people fishing for them almost every day at a lot of different river mouths? Some people don’t see the point in catch and release and it’s like me fishing for sting rays and seven gillers etc People ask what I do with them and I tell them I just take a picture and let them go and some people just laugh. Other people catch them and leave them to die or kill them and put them back so they wont be caught again. Catching big fish is all worth is for the fight, the screaming drag and just the challenge of landing them. I know salmon are a totally different thing but I’m sure fishing with super light gear you could get a challenging fight out of one.

rdeejay
    Participant

Gee reading all your guys comments on the amount of salmon being caught heck i’d like to be able to get out and catch just 1!! I even got gifted a licence for that purpose and you think i’ve been able to get out??…nooooooooooooo

yellowfin
    Participant

I will have to make my trebbles barbless then to be fair on the fish!!

yellowfin
    Participant

I have spent the last 2 days turning this

yellowfin
    Participant

Into these…yummy!!

brumoo
    Participant

Hi All About the number of people catching 20 or 30 fish a season at a metting of New Zealand Salmon Anglers we had a discussion on the tag system and where told it would be to hard to police. I think the idea of only 0ne fish a day starting on the 1st March for the rest of the season is a great idea and i will bring it up at the next Salmon Anglers metting.

brumoo
    Participant

Hi Kevo85 Just wanting to know what sort of jars you use for your salmon as have some to do myself i have been using agee jars with dome lids

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members