kiakoura wharf

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

the occurence of the blue sharks has nothing to do with the fisherman. theyve always been there. the numbers are growing every year. expect to see more next year. my theory of the big numbers of blue sharks around is because of the commercial ban of the blue sharks

fishforpot
    Participant

Are kahawai numbers increasing ? ……..I noticed a shitload more sevengillers about last year ……..it will have as much to do with the food chain as it would be ban on catching them , the blues I mean

yellowfin
    Participant

Since I’ve only really been fishing a lot this last season I can’t compare to other years yet but I’ve definitely learned a lot over the last 7 months or so. Seven Gillers I only had 6 but I could say for certain If I lived and fished anywhere around kaikoura I’d be catching at least one a week there just seems to be a lot around even in the earlier months of the season October or earlier. I’ve read from various sources that Blue Sharks were regular catches off the beaches at Kaikoura and probably even beaches further south around canturbury but I’ve never heard of one being caught off the beach so numbers are definitely down same with all other species.

yellowfin
    Participant

there has been a shitload more kahawai at pier. they r styl being caught now. big ones to. on sunday someone had to beach one. wouldve been around 12lbs

St_Paul
    Participant

Stands to reason that if they’re not being fished commercially then numbers will increase.
    There have been lots of good sized kahawai about up here and around kaikoura over the last couple of years. Haven’t been doing much shark fishing so can’t comment on that.

fishforpot
    Participant

Come to think of it ……….the school sharks have been really thin off the southern beaches over the last 2 yrs ……..they are hammered by the commercial boys and shipped to aussie I believe ……

yellowfin
    Participant

theres been some big school sharks caught at pier this season. seeing a few monsters around and over six foot. just at the start of january and then they fuckd off again

yellowfin
    Participant

Thought with some of those sharks they cut the fins off and throw them back? That’s what a guy who worked on a fishing boat was telling me up at the Pier one day although might’ve been talking about dogfish or something?

fishforpot
    Participant

Not 100% sure , but I thought finning sharks was illegal in NZ …maybe it was just the throwing back alive bit

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m sure fishing would be better if they banned commercial fishing all together and made people get out and catch their own fish but that’s never gonna happen. The trawlers take so many fish I don’t see how they’re not going to eventually make them so rare you’ll never catch them from beaches.

fishforpot
    Participant

Seeing as all the fish we catch off the beaches actually come in there to breed , imagine the number of people fighting for spots to fish ….we’d clean the beaches out in no time ….and there’d be NO fish left …..

In a way the commercial fisherman are insuring we have fish for next season , but Im sure a happier medium could be found …

If I had my way tho , I’d line them all up against a brick wall and shoot the lot of em ……….lmao

Miliwolf
    Participant

The problem is that the government attempts to get as much return as possible from fisheries which often causes them to collapse. They use phases like Maximum suitable yield which seems to be about 30% of the unexploited population size. Due to the fact that there is very little knowledge of population dynamics in fisheries what normally happens is that the quota is set high and for the first few years it is easily reached, by the time the fishing gets harder the crews have developed better techniques and have more knowledge allowing them to maintain catch levels for a few more seasons…. Then there is simply not enough fish so then mof makes a lot of noise and drops the quota but because the fishery is already depleted they catch is already less then the new low quota. So mof praises itself for a job well done and claims that maximum suitable yield has been reached.

The fundamental problem with fisheries management is that it is controlled as a business which tries to maximise profit which results in population depletion, I feel it would be better to be under the management of something like the conservation department where the main infarcese (sp???) would be to maintain a healthy population and any harvesting would have a minimal detrimental effect on the overall health of the fishery. But it would also have a reduction in short term and maybe medium term profit so such a idea would not gain much support in the industry or politics surrounding it.

magooes
    Participant

Does anybody know what the sea conditions are like at kaikoura this week ? It looks really flat but I need to if the water is clear of dirty? any info would be great , am planning a spearfish hopefully water nice and clear.

yellowfin
    Participant

go to swell map that may help as for if its clean or not im not sure sorry. i were thinking of going up sunday but weather meant to turn

magooes
    Participant

ive been using marineweather.co.nz which i find better than swellmap. looks flat for the next 6-7 days but could still be dirty :-( cheers anyway

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.