kiakoura wharf

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

well the pier is no more than 2.4 meters at high tide. it says it on the board at the start of the pier. the reason y a mako would not likely to be seen at the pier is because 5 kms out off brighton beach is only about20-30 meters deep

and earlier this year i was up there with sharon and some guy was winding in a small school shark when 3 or 4 kingfish followed it up

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive seen the jaws of makos hanging in the garage of Tim Sintes ….in fact , one was sitting on the rim of a 44 gallon drum ….
    I assume they shrink a little when the dry , and they were in NO danger of falling into the drum ….I know I can fit into a 44 gallon drum ….well I used to be able to lol ….
    12 1/2 feet long I recall him saying it was …

Those sharks were taken at about 300 mtrs off nrth beach in his set net he used to catch bait for his crab pots…… So if you dont think makos will come withen 5 kms of the pier , your sadly mistaken

yellowfin
    Participant

yea but when was this?

haavnt heard of any in the area

i wasnt saying you couldnt get them within 5 kms off the pier just saying how deep it was and how unlikely it would be

yellowfin
    Participant

Maybe if there’s blue’s and threshers there would be makos to just never heard of one caught off the pier.

I wonder how Giller got on at Kaikoura?

Giller
    Participant

Hey Zac, went up there but by time arrived in kai the southerly hit hard just after getting the rods out so was no chance to fish off the wharf.but kids got a couple small fish so was good to see them have a good time.
    packed up and went north almost near blenheim to try for a fish or a giller but sea was getting rough up near mangamanu then found a nice place i wanted to try but couldnt fine anywhere to park safely .would love to go try again when there weather was sunny and hot.

thinking of heading down to rangitata this sat to get onto a few gillers as colin down there in the camp ground said is lots hanging around lately.

the kids caught a tiny wee fish,looked dark brown with tiny wee teeth,thought it may of been a rock cod or some kind of cod as had the fins on its back.

other one they caught was a very different one,never see anything like it before,had awesome colours .like a few lines thru it .any ideas ?

yellowfin
    Participant

First fish you describe with the teeth most likely a spotty. Second fish I don’t know. Was talking to a guy last night who said they got some fish like you describe there as well but quite big ones. Maybe a trevally or something? Apparently someone got a trevally at the brighton pier the other night.

Here is a trevally:

“They are blue-green dorsally and silvery white on the belly, with a yellowish sheen running along the length of the fish. A small dark blotch often appears on the upper gill cover.”

yellowfin
    Participant

yea thats wat that guy at pier had!

hes like, ” thatl cover a piece of toast” lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Was probably undersize if they got a size limit lol

yellowfin
    Participant

yea lol

it was tiny anyways

hes like i caught a moki before, nd we like wtf and then he like it in my bag lol

then showed us

Giller
    Participant

will try post of what it was later once get pics off kids phone.
    but was seriously tiny .they all went back to grow.the second wasnt a trev,thought it may of been something like a john dory or butterfish.

yellowfin
    Participant

sounds to me like it was a baby trumpeter. were up in kaikoura a month or 2 ago with pier master and he caught a couple of tiny ones from the wharf at kaikoura.

yellowfin
    Participant

Trumpeter I got off the wharf:

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

Participant

Think it’s linked to fishermen using berley on the pier? There was something in the news recently about it scaring surfers….

yellowfin
    Participant

If you mean the sharks being around because of people using burley then you’re wrong. Burley was only used after the blue sharks had already been around and I’m not sure if people using burley even attracted any but all the crab catchers and bait etc in the water would work as burley anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.