kiakoura wharf

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Just brought a flounder light,thinking of suspending it off the side of the wharf to see if the light attracts more squid in :)

Would need to arrive before the weekend which is unlikely.

yellowfin
    Participant

dont they have to be underwater to work? ya can get them at alot of tackle stores as well and the warehouse

Miliwolf
    Participant

The cheap nasty ones need to be underwater to work.

I purchased one of these ones and they seem much better quality.

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/flounder_ … ights.html

yellowfin
    Participant

Was up there a couple of weeks ago. Were plenty of moki around under the lights. And Couta and thousands of tiny shrimp type things.
    We got some moki on jigs. But threw them all back. As we had already shot some butterfish earlier in the day.

I went down there during the day and seen a huge moki cruising in the shallows. Thought it was a big snapper at first.
    Also seen a nice size kahawai cruising around as well.

M y sister lives not far from there at the moment, she goes down a bit and has seen squid and some seven gillers lurking as well.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Surprised to hear you took moki on jigs. What size / style were you using?

HIPP
    Participant

me too…maybe you mean sabikies?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have heard of one taking a soft plastic before, but not heard much with regards to Jigs. Would leave to go down there shortly :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah Sabiki’s. I just call them Jigs cause ya jig them up and down.
    I have hooked one off there using a small grim reaper though,.

Giller
    Participant

Hi there,Im thinking about heading up to kaikoura on saturday this weekend can anyone recommend some kinds of bait to use on the beach with surf rods or off the new wharf please ?

Many thanks
    Neil

yellowfin
    Participant

Depends on what you want to catch. Off the beach any bait works and I suppose at this time of the year you could expect red cod, seven gilers, stingrays, skate, congers, dogfish and maybe the odd school shark. Off the wharf sabikis rigs with small peices of bonito will catch herring, kahawai and small terakihi/moki etc. Could make more suggestions depending on what you’re after though.

Giller
    Participant

Hi Zac,do all my fishing down at rangitata,but its died down there this year with very low numbers of fish there over the xmas period and till now so wanted to try out at kaikoura.
    i never fished there so was wanting to try to get into some different species and see what they like,eg moki and terakihi etc .

is there a certain time that fishes better there like the high tide over low or incoming versus the outgoing ?

Many thanks

Miliwolf
    Participant

Night from the new wharf is good for Moki, use small hooks, 2/0 are good but they can take larger ones. Small piece of shrimp, mussel ect for bait. I beleive Moki feed more over high tide but I have no evidence to prove it. All the terakihi I seen from Kaikoura and jurveniles, none longer then 15cm.

The beaches north of the Clarence river and Kekerengu are good for Sevengillers and large tope sharks. They fish best a couple of hours before and after high tide. Caught a massive skate just south of Kekerengu once.

yellowfin
    Participant

All the terakihi I’ve seen at the wharf have been very small and undersized although greg hooked a big fish there on his sabiki which looked like a big terakihi but lost it. I’ve seen quite a few legal sized moki there at night time and the guy was using shrimps for bait. Blue cod are also possible off the wharf. As for avoiding the stingrays at the wharf, stick to small shellfish or shrimp baits. You can catch seven gillers off the wharf and somone told me the other night there’s been a mako hanging around the wharf but I highly doubt it. I think the wharf can be full of surprises, you don’t know what you might get just try different baits and methods and you could get a wide range of fish. The wharf definitely changes at night time and the times I’ve been there it’s been active with barracouta jumping clear out of the water and also squid jumping if they’re still around. You can see the moki and other fish swimming around and if it’s clear enough during the day you can see the bottom.

See this post if you haven’t already:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=459&p=8849&#p8849

Spinning for kahawai/salmon/barracouta or putting a live/dead herring or kahawai under a float could be succesfull also.

Captain Hook
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

Well whatever I hooked last time I was up there, my tackle wasn’t up for it even if the swivel didn’t snap I don’t know if I would have landed it or even stopped it before it ran out past the rocks and out to sea. It’s like the fish people catch off the New Brightton Pier, a featureless sandy beach and only 3 or 4 meters deep but people have caught threshers and blue sharks. People have claimed kingfish off the Pier but I’d have to see that to believe it.

The reason I doubt a mako hanging around the kaikoura wharf is I’ve never heard of one off the Pier so possibly they keep to deeper water along with great whites but I guess anything is possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.