kiakoura wharf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    yellowfin
    Participant

Seems a nice place. Has anyone been there lately?

yellowfin
    Participant

yea was there a week or 2 ago

Miliwolf
    Participant

Still reckon it is a touch short.

rdeejay
    Participant

Went there for a nosey yesterday while checking out the area, what a poxy little wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t think the length really matters, still the same fish around. Seen moki and blue cod right under the wharf along with big schools of small terakihi, mullet and other fish during the day, and very active at night with squid and barracouta. It’s awesome being able to see the bottom and even the fish taking your hook. Would be a problem if it ever got so busy that there was no room but I don’t think that is likely.

rdeejay
    Participant

Yeah i’m sure the fish don’t care about the length lol, just made the comment in comparison to other wharves. Was quiet the day i had a look with nothing being caught.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Does anyone have a great idea on a good way to hold rods while fishing from the wharf??

All of the rot holes are now gone :(

yellowfin
    Participant

I just lie them down on the wharf and set drag nearly freespool. Otherwise you could get something heavy to put some pvc pipe on like a large brick or something wooden that would secure under the wood at the end.

yellowfin
    Participant

i put my rods inbetween the chains and the pylon.

it sits in there well

yellowfin
    Participant

just hold onto em with ur hands man should be so many fish round ya wont have time to put em down

Miliwolf
    Participant

Bit hard to hold one rod while reeling in another. Hoping to fish three rods, two for Moki and a third with a squid jig :)

Think I might bring a couple of buckets with me, then head down to the boat launching beach around from the old wharf which I beleive is sandy. Then full the buckets with sand with a piece of pipe sticking out. Should work as a mobile rod holder. Hoping to fish there Saturday night and Sunday morning :)

yellowfin
    Participant

You can put your rods in between the chains on the side of the wharf like Sam said. Otherwise you could get a bucket and put a couple bits of pvc pipe in then fill with Concrete, but probably easier to just use the chains on the side of the wharf or just leave them lying down like I did, I never had any problems. I’d also suggest just dropping your line straight down otherwise you’ll most certainly get snagged. Be interesting to see how you get on with the squid jig, last time I was there I only saw a couple small schools, not enough to catch any on the jig. The time before that though there was massive schools of them so maybe they’re only around at a certain time of the year?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have never seen squid there before, so hopefully they are around. Would check out the chains. Never been a fan of lying rods down with not much drag, can just imagine forgetting to undo the drag then watching the rod disappear over the side.

yellowfin
    Participant

It can actually be hard to see they’re squid unless you take a good look. First time I saw them swimming around being chased by barracouta then saw then jumping out of the water so thought they were kahawai or something then realised they were squid. The small schools I’ve seen are usually 3 – 5 and sometimes you’ll see them swimming around by themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.