2013 Winter Surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 64 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Duckman
    Participant

good rig’s guys, and yet it’s winter, well warm winter lol

beefbandit
    Participant

what area are you getting them duckman?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Good Rig guys.

I Went fishing in Timaru this afternoon was quite a good swell at south beach so fished around Caroline bay instead, Got a few dogfish on my Surfcaster then had an extended powerful run on my trout rod with small bits of shrimp but it dropped the hook before I could hook up :mad:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Certainly could be a Rig, go and catch it :)

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yep could well have been a Rig but Ill never know :)

Guy in the sports shop reckons there is still the odd Rig around in winter and I reckon Caroline Bay would be the perfect spot with its large population of crabs, especially on a day like today when its rough.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice rig guys good to see some action on here…been pretty lazy as of late..been a pretty bad red cod season in kaikoura..went up for a few weekends in a row a couple weeks back..only did well once ..me and a mate pulled an all nighter an got 10 cod between us..the biggest fattest red cod i have ever seen,,they actualy gave a pretty good scrap aswell but its been shite since then..a few weeks back there was a good run of winter kahawai up there..i scored a few..chasing early whitebait i believe..its been so damn warm..i have been meaning to chase winter rig but have been working 80 hour weeks and carpet laying is a physical job plus i drive 2.5 hours each day to work..i get home and i will be like..yeap im gonna target rig tonight..then fall asleep and wake up at 2 in the morning dribbling on myself and the tv is still running haha pretty much ruins the fishing plans but after mili and sevengillz success it gives me the kick in the ass i need..here are some photo’s from kaikoura…bring on the rig…..
    :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Was wondering where you went… I reckon the BP Rigs should be afraid.

2.5 hr drive to work… thats insane. Thats like me driving to Conway flats each day :shock: … I complain having to drive 3 minutes.

shark slayer
    Participant

haha..yea its pretty hardcore..but i want the work thats in christchurch at the moment but i dont want to live there..i want to live by the sea with good fishing close by..so the price i pay for that lifestyle is a big drive each day…went out tonight with a mate who has never caught a rig…had no crabs so chucked out some prawn baits and biffed the crab pot in..was pretty swelly wich made me optimistic about our chances of getting a rig but it also made crab potting hard going…after 45 mins of no action i checked the crab pot and had only caught one crab…cut it in half and we chucked out a crab bait each…10 mins later …dude dude your rod..i ran to my rod as it buckled over and set the hook..was an odd fight due to all the current that was running but a well conditioned 18-20lb female was landed…she was in good nick and pregnant…turned out to be the only one of the night an only got four more crabs but i aint complaining my season has started… 8)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good effort SharkSlayer, now we need troutfishernz to catch his to represent South Canterbury.

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers mili…go get em” troutfisher.. :)

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah nice rig mate , any reports of ele’s down your way yet SharkSlayer?

smokin’ joe
    Participant

Miliwolf

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers sevengills..na mate pretty early for eles yet…ian(birdlings flat) got one last year in august or september last year i beleive..but then no more were taken untill november..but we had alot of shitty weather late september and october..i will start trying early but the eles really only come in to spawn and dont hang around long down these ways…i am sure someone somewhere knows how to get them here in winter…. :smile: ..maybe???

fishforpot
    Participant

Be a good 15yrs ago now , Dave Botino , a local kite maker / fisherman caught a monster cow off Nape Nape on a chunk of squid in the middle of July ..

Will be late Oct before I go chasing them again … whitebait first …maybe a cod trip off the end of Banks P … then the beaches

Duckman
    Participant

Went up to Nape Nape Wednesday arvo, fished to 2am, one Kahawai on travelly then got up Thursday morning and fished til 10am, ended up with another Kahawai on mullet, not much around 3 doggies.<a href="
    “>

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members