2013 Winter Surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 64 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah I found sea lettuce a major problem when I lived in Nelson, Can really only fish the smaller tides as anything above 3.9m and sea lettuce,rip and weed make it impossible to fish apart from at dead low and high tide.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sea lettuce is a pain, but it often accumulates in only one section of the beach. Sometimes its possible to move a km or so further along the beach and avoid the sea lettuce. Of course, sometimes the sea lettuce gathers in the more interesting parts of the beach… and sometimes I theorize the sea lettuce might act as a kind of burley which could attract fish. In saying that, I never caught much fishing in areas thick with lettuce.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Well it looks like the weather has buggered the plans for this weekend. Still , I may take a drive down the coast to see for myself . Thats what I did last weekend and it payed off…kinda. The nor-west gales had the usual spots stirred up and the wind didnt ease so I thought if memory serves me right then it should be nice on the south side of Cape Cambell and it was. Sea was clear and calm and the was hardly a breeze at spot P considering I was battling to keep the ute in a straight line in the gales on the way down.
    Anyway banged some prawn and mussel baits out , no takers . Switched to squid and fish baits and a Spiny Dogfish was on the beach every 5 mins . Switched to a single hook ledger rig after a few double headers . All were females with big guts on them. Had to dispatch a couple to get the hook back and the pups were ready to be dropped at any time so they were tossed back in and away they went. Caught 30 odd in two sessions , all bar a pair were thrown back and not a red cod to be seen. Must say the new rod is an absolute pleasure to use , makes the big ol Penn powerstick feel like a log.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am getting sick of winter, so I might declare the start of the Snapper season and start targeting them again 8)

Sevengillz
    Participant

Spent the day at the Blind river today . Sea was beaut , calm and not too off colour , fishing was shit . Ended up being 5 jokers with 8 rods in the water with a variety of baits prawns , mussel , pili , squid , skippy and anchovy and all that was landed for the day was a carpet shark , a doggy , a schoolie and a pair of red cod . A bit poxy I thought so shot down a bit further to see if the crab pot might do some damage and after an hour or so the tally was one.

Felt a couple of shakes while sitting on the beach and wondered if that might of had some affect on the bite , thats the excuse for the poor results anyway :mrgreen:

Also wondering if anyone uses a Daiwa Crosscast 6000 Long Cast Surf Reel ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Never used them but they do look good. 99% certain they have sold, but last year there was a couple of heavily discounted Crosscast 6000 in Smith City.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah they do look. feature/spec wise they seem like a good deal. Got one from MarineDeals on the way so will put it to the test next weekend. Got to perform a bit better than the trusty old GG100 anyway.

smells like fish
    Participant

not long back from a fishing trip to aussie,central queensland.Spent a week on Fraser Island caught 2 tailor (great fighting and eating)10 0dd whiting,30 odd bream,30 dart,12 butter bream,2 flatheads (barstard of things),and quite a few other species.
    fished around 1770 and estury systems (4wd only) and caught bream after bream.Was good to be fishing with light gear and shorts on.
    Fished Tihaka beach on sat and got 8 dogfish in 2 hours was getting boring winding them in so called it a day.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Shame its winter, because Blue Gums looked very fishable tonight. The Rigs should be returning to certain spots shortly :wink: . They might already be there (they probably there year round truth known), just need someone with the motivation to target them.

“>
    Glistering Stones by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    Beach Grass and White Cliffs by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Sevengillz
    Participant

good pics Mili. Have not checked out the ol Blue Gums out for a long time , must put some more time into the Cloudy this season. A Snapper from that stretch ( probably the most northern end ) is a box yet to be ticked.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Decided it was about time to declare the start of the Rig fishing season. So after work I headed for one of my winter Rig spots, armed with freshly purchased frozen prawns I was optimistic. Arrived at my spot late in the afternoon, the sun had just left it but was not to cold. Sea was calm enough, but the water was quite dirty. Casted one rod out then threw my crab pot into the water, baited with a few freezer burnt Kahwai and mullets. Did not catch many paddle crabs, but a few were around.

The night grew darker, and colder and my rods remain untouched. Then I notice one bent right over, a good sign at last. I wrestled with a heavy weight, saw a tail and knew it could not be a Red Cod or Skate. Short while later saw the spots and knew I had caught my first Rig for the season. Was not a big Rig, but it did not matter. A couple of quick photos and I released it back into the sea to grow bigger. Fished up to around 8pm, then decided to go for a drive to photograph the moon rise. Night was a bit chilly but pleasant considering its still July. Water was cold, one wave nearly went over the top of my waders :eek:

“>

“>
    Moon Glow Over Wellington by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Sevengillz
    Participant

Up early today to get the tide so I could get the crab pot in. Sea was ok apart from the sets of big steep rollers hammering the place. Dropped the pot in then pulled it after 5 mins because the swell was getting too dodgy . Had one crab and 10kg’s of weed so I decided to head on down the coast in the search for calmer water. Stopped at Wharanui for a look , was looking much the same , nice spot but the odd big wave running up to the car park so not suitable. Carried on and soon was driving through the sea mist over the highway which is never a good sign . Stopped at the airstrip for a survey , was looking fishable but the roar of the boulders being washed in and out was a recipe for bust offs. Turned around and headed north . Stopped at Wharanui again and checked out a couple of notices , turns out they were from the police concerning a missing Nelson man by the name of Blair Robinson who is believed to have been swept out by a rogue wave while fishing there on April 22nd . They ask anyone visiting the area to keep an eye out for anything that may be of concern.
    I pulled the pin and decided to head back up to one of my older haunts that’s always fishable. Whipped out some prawn and mussels and got a couple of red cod . I put the one crab I got out and within 5 mins the rod was bent and line was peeling off. Grabbed the rod and had a play . I got what ever it was into the white water then it let out a hell of a burst and I couldn’t let off the drag quick enough and got busted off . Raced home to grab some more crabs and back into it an hour later. Same deal , within 5 mins of the crab sinking the rod was pointing for the horizon . Landed a nice 90cm Rig. The hook ended up in its gills so it was a keeper . 20min or so and another slightly smaller one was released . Both were taken on whole juvenile crabs before sunset and two halves of a big crab remained untouched after dark .
    So first rig of the season for me too 8)

“>
    image hosting imgur

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice Rig, you certainly put in the miles to catch them. Certainly proves that they are around even in the middle of winter, just need the motivation to go and target them. If only paddle crabs were easier to catch this time of year.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah the crabbing is pretty hard going. Think I might go throw the pot in around monkey bay area sometime during the week and see how that goes. Want the small to medium size ones rather than the big ones.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I had a few small ones clinging to the outside of my pot, and a couple made it inside. Also one big one in the pot which I also kept. My Rig took prawn, but had a whole crab out for about a hour and it was not touched.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members