2013 Winter Surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 64 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

troutfishernz
    Participant

Guess its time for a new topic seen as its the first day of winter.

I Fished east of Temuka today hoping for few red cod for Tea, ended up catching heaps of Dogfish and nothing else :mad:

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished browns beach this afternoon, Heaps of dogfish around as soon as the bait hit the water it was hooked up. Got about 80 between me and a mate before giving up. Might give it few weeks and then the Red cod might start showing up.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the outer QC sounds and had a early winter dive.Damn those new smooth skin wetsuits are warm.We got our limit of blue cod and the usual suspects spearfishing.ie moki and butterfish and crays and paua.And fed the shags with released cod as per usual.

Duckman
    Participant

Went up to Kaikoura for Queens b/d weekend, got 3 red cod, 1 28.2lb conga, a heap of mullet and an octopus.
    :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

i too fished kaikoura with duckman, was pretty shit really, 2 cod a conger maybe 15-16lb loads of mullet , few doggys a skate in all a relaxing weekend but shit fishing

Sevengillz
    Participant

Evening all.
    Been a long time since I posted on here so thought I might post a report.
    Wet a few baits at Clifford bay this arvo. Sea was dirty but relatively calm , slight nor – nor west breeze. Fishing was slow and the results were two good tope between 4 to 5 ft which were in very good nick and a welcome surprise for this time of year. Both released.
    Nothing for the next two hours or so then after a small run an average size skate was beached,also released.
    No Red Cod , small Tope or Spiky dogs making an appearance yet.
    I was hoping for some Red Cod fillets for the bait bin but must be still a bit early for them here yet.

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff there sevengillz would like a fresh feed of rig have not got any left in frezzer and this cold weather I wont be going fishing for a long time..

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hi Elmo ,
    Yeah funnily enough I had planned on putting out some crabs tomorrow hoping we’d get one more day before the weather packed in but looks like its here now. I mays well go to work instead.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Sevengillz

Sevengillz
    Participant

HookLineSinker

elmo22
    Participant

you don’t need a chilly bin for your fish just leave in the wind and that will freeze them lol

shark slayer
    Participant

havnt been out for awhile,good to see others catching..went to kaikoura on queens birthday weekend..between me and a mate we got 15 small red cod,4 dogs,and 2 congers,we pulled an all nighter..pretty shit fishing but was good to get out…also lost something big..probably a conger…pretty cool to still be landing good tope there sevengillz..i also use big squid baits to target them or whole mullet and pillys..using red cod for bait is criminal dude!!they are awesome eating :razz:

Sevengillz
    Participant

shark slayer

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished for an hour or so at Caroline bay this afternoon, Pretty quite with just dogfish around :mad: Heap of weed and debris on the sea floor from the last southerly storm..

yellowfin
    Participant

I had that problem not long ago surfcasting at Kina Beach near Nelson. The water was clear but every time I wound in the sinker and hooks where covered in heaps of sea lettuce. Very annoying and impossible to fish really.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members