2013 Winter Surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 64 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hell might be a good run of Kahawai this season I wonder , seems to be a few about . Wonder if thats a sign of a good whitebait run?

shark slayer
    Participant

my thoughts exactly sevengillz…i reckon its going to be a good season for everything…lets wait and see…. :grin:

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah hopefully . got two small rig on friday during southerly and not even a sniff yesty during reasonable weather . I did about 250km driving up and down the coast yesty looking for some calmer water and ended up where I started lol. There was about 7 people there and 10 rods outs. There wasnt even a spiky dog landed .
    On a brighter note I did find a spot where there is a small river mouth and plenty of kelp covered rocks around 100m offshore . The water always seems to be a nice light cobalt blue colour. Think It might be a good spot to try for Blue Snapper :D and Im certain its gonna be good for kahawai. Roll on holidays.

Miliwolf
    Participant

If its the spot I think it might be, then be prepared to lose a lot of tackle to snags.

I have not been doing much fishing, have taken my Kayak out a few times but just for fitness.

Sevengillz
    Participant

hopefully the swell has died down a bit before this weekend so I can give it a go . Going by the amount of shit washed up on the beach I would say snags are inevitable but I usually pull the pin once ive left a couple of BOS’s behind

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished in Timaru today, Got Few dogfish some of them quite big plus a Carpet shark around 5kg.

HIPP
    Participant

good to see a few of you still getting out and about….me and a cobber, his kids and Mrs, went back up to the sounds three weeks ago to Broughtons Bay, got a few flats in the net and we got on to a few kahawai (small) in a bit of current,,,, lots of burley and lots of diferant bait tried, but no Snapper….cant say I was really supprised, nice to get away anyway…..

Ill stick with the hunting for a bit longer…then try and get some rig and eles in the freezer as soon as possible this year, then i can get back to the hunting.

Looking forward to the warmer weather,

good luck to you all,

cheers, Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Snappa fish tonight, nice calm conditions, clear skies. Not to cold… Only one bite and no fish landed.. Would hopefully get down once more before the end of August.

yellowfin
    Participant

good work guys! I’ve had a bad time over winter. Dislocated my shoulder and been off work for past 13 weeks! :mad: but It’s coming right and I’m really looking forward to getting out and casting my rod again. Not too long now!!

Oh and I thought I would check out the Southern Angling Facebook page after a long absence to find just a big fight brewing and everyone arguing at each other (same reason I left that crap page). They need to sort their shit out as it’s just a big wankfest over there.

Duckman
    Participant

it was 2 new guys coming in and shit stirring, stirring every up so apart from that is has been a good group

yellowfin
    Participant

hm ok. Hopefully that’s the case then and just bad timing on my part. I left that group awhile ago because I got sick of some of the BS being said by certain members, hopefully they have cut it mostly out now

Sevengillz
    Participant

Im guessing that’s where everyone has gone , considering the fishing is heating up and all is quiet in ere lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea It’s a shame really. I used to really enjoy this forum (still do really just not as many people), I guess I’m just not a big fan of Facebook in general, but I have rejoined the group anyway and will try to use both. It’s not long to the season really starts up so I’m getting excited!

troutfishernz
    Participant

Not a great fan of the Facebook page to much Off topic rubbish, I visit it occasionally but prefer just to use this forum.
    I will hopefully be heading out this weekend to try for some early Rig.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah the Rig are about. A bit patchy at the moment up here but then in saying that the crab pot hasn’t been out for a while and ive resorted to prawn. Have got half a dozen Rig in 4 or so outings all been on the average side around 100cm but good grazing. If this wind buggers off before the weekend might have a look about for some Moki.
    Seems to be plenty of Kahawai about now so theres something to fall back on if the Moki are a no show. Itching for shark season though hopefully the Sevengills and big tope are plentiful this summer.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members