“The Canterbury Mullet Championships”

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

That particular one took

Miliwolf
    Participant

So is Booger the 2007 Canterbury Mullet Champion?

yellowfin
    Participant

Looks like it.. unless we extend it till the end of summer.

yellowfin
    Participant

Until the end of summer would make more sense, but I won’t complain if Jones Jr buys me

yellowfin
    Participant

You should get the jaws from the shark for a trophy. I remember you asked about Preparing jaws ages ago. I would have just released the shark to grow even bigger for another day myself. I was reading how the numbers of seven gill sharks have decreased a lot, thats probably because every time someone does have the luck to catch one, they kill it.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Also keep the jaws of the mullet because it is a championship winner.

I believe that catch and release is quite common along the kekerengu (sp) coastline, mainly because they are less rare.

The main reason I release most of the fish I catch is because I do not like the taste of them. Would much prefer eat steak, lamb or pork over most fish. There are a few fish species which I enjoy enough to consider keeping.

(Blue Cod, Gurnard, Tarakihi, butterfish and sea perch)

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah. I read that the smaller seven gillers are the only ones worth eating, but I think its worse to be keeping the smaller ones before they have had a chance to breed and grow to a bigger size. There are enough more common fish around that can be kept and eaten, and I think the bigger less common fish like Seven Gillers should be caught more for the sport of it.

I just read through the topic and found that Jones Jr had said this “(NOTE, I’m changing the dates from July 1st 2007 through till June 30th 2008 to be more in line with the mullet season).” So its not offically over yet

yellowfin
    Participant

Mullet jaws are rather small :)

I was always going to kill the first sevengiller I got, to try out the meat and

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did you manage to try any of it before it unfroze?

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes. It was pretty average, not too bad, not fantastic either. I guess a lot depends on your cooking skills.

yellowfin
    Participant

no it finishes in like end of june or something i think

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Yep, I extended the mullet comp. I thought it seemed a bit odd to fish summer then have a big gap with winter where no mullet would really be caught, then come onto summer again and see who wines. Just thought it would be better where winter is the beginning and end.

Bogger in the lead!

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.