Latest Catches Autumn/Winter 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Everytime I checked the mouth of the bar and diversion there has been KY caught, more at the bar then the diversion. Large ones, not the fry which turn up during the summer months. Might even go for a Surfcast myself shortly (but not at the bar/diversion), this is the time of year they start to return.

yellowfin
    Participant

Getting itchy feet, cant wait for the elephants to arrive!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Its only 9 or so days until September which is when the pannies start to return to the Sounds :grin: , Whitebait season has begun so the Kahawai numbers should be on the increase. Little over a month before the trout season begins. The spring norwesters must be due to arrive soon which would calm the Kaikoura coast allow for good spear and yak fishing. Winter would be over before we know it.

Of course, you guys in Canterbury have several more months before the sea starts to produce lemons and elephants.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Bugger it …Im starting early..weather permiting..revamping the quad with a roof..sussing out my gear..stocking up with bait..buying all sorts of sinkeryhookerymcgadgets off trademe i will never use..kahawai are chasing the whitebait that are waiting for the lake to open…

:grin: :grin:

St_Paul
    Participant

Have you added a special holder for the nitrolingual? :D

Keen to hear how its fishing down there, have a mate who’s hanging out for a kahawai or 4

yellowfin
    Participant

Got a club fishing thing on Saturday at wakanui so expecting to get a few doggies. Shouldn’t be too long before the rig and eles show up. Might have another trip up to kaikoura in October.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just been out to the beach but about 4 meter swells so couldn’t fish. Decided just to have a bit of casting practice and try attempt pendulum casting. Was using a 5oz sinker with my okuma solaris and kilwell 222 with axeon reel and my Poseidon rod with daiwa sl50sh. Think I was getting the best distance with the poseidon even though the sl50 isn’t really a distance casting reel. Would be good to have a forum casting day somewhere so we can measure distances and get someone who knows what they’re doing to teach us.

Miliwolf
    Participant

My casting would be embarrassing..

Thinking of hitting Kaikoura this weekend, swellmap is showing swells less then a meter and not much wind. Kayak, Moki fish the night then go for a spear Sunday morning.

St_Paul
    Participant

Mines a tad rusty, used to be able to get about 150m with a 5 oz sinker and clip down rig. Have been concentrating on fly lately.

Fished Kaikoura last night, lots of good sized banded wrasse but bugger all else. Still fairly murky close in, reckon that by the weekend it might be good. Large flocks of birds working up to 1/2 a KM out

yellowfin
    Participant

Are the big kahawai schools around kaikoura ways yet?

St_Paul
    Participant

Birds were working way out at various points down the coast so they’ll be about. unfortunately not close to shore at this stage.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

lake open baitwhite running..nothing much chasing them cept a few gulls
    :grin: anyone else having probs with uploading piccies on here..i am..sheeesh

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish on sunday not alot around got a skate missing its tail and a decent kahawai pretty dissapointing but hey at least no doggies

troutfishernz
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

ill proberbly be going out every weekend i can from now till next year sometime . i got a few cod this winter though not many maybe 60 in total along with a few other things the odd conger here and there in kaikoura a faiur few skate etc

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.