Latest Catches Autumn/Winter 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I start chasing elephants from show weekend onwards, but I guess some people start chasing them earlier

fishforpot
    Participant

Some of the older fishers here may recall a guy by the name of Dave Botino …..he was a local kite maker and keen fisherman ….he combined his skills and was in competition to Paul Barnes of north island fame ….Paul stole some of Daves ideas , but that’s another story lol

Anyways , fishing at Napenape in mid July , roughly 15yrs ago ….using squid for bait , and sending the hooks out the usual 1 Km ….bugger me if he didnt catch a monster elephant ish …..it was a good 4 foot long ……I vaugely recall photos in a fishing mag …….

So you just never know when your going to catch one …..I know from experience that avoiding the doggies will be vital …paua meat would be my bet ….

Fishing off our beaches is better now than it was back then …..so who knows

yellowfin
    Participant

Might go for a bit of a fish round the timaru wharf today and see what’s happening, haven’t been out for months now

rayhunter
    Participant

hey zac i was thinking of going for a fish tonite may go find some where new that may hav moki that is if it stops rainin lol

elmo22
    Participant

my mate went to the mouth of why-mac on saturday morning 9.30am he and his mate got 8 ky they left at 1pm. there have been alot of ky getting caught there the last few days every one was getting then i am going to smoke the one he gave me having it for tea tonight

yellowfin
    Participant

Fishing was dead in timaru only stayed about an hour before heading home. Saw a school of tiny mullet swimming around but other than that didnt even get a bite.

troutfishernz
    Participant

I was fishing in Timaru today as well. Cought heaps of dogfish around caroline bay. Had a go off the breakwater as well but theres heaps of snags.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes, you have a problem in Timaru. Traditional LBG off the rocks doesn’t get snagged if you’re onto it because you strayline with floating baits. This avoids gummy sharks (what we call dogfish up North). Unfortunately your only target eating species (ellies and cod) are bottom feeders so you have to cast way out past snags with a sinker or use breakaway terminal tackle or a slidebait rig.

I’ve tried three Timaru breakwaters and all were disgustingly shallow. Totally disappointed with them. I don’t snag up hardly ever with floating baits but I don’t catch fish either (so far) in Timaru. To start hooking up I have to use a sinker and fish the bottom. Still trying to work it out myself… like the best method to use. I’m still experimenting with locations and fishing methods for this area.

I’m going to go out again in the next two weeks and give the harbour hell.

I’ve also never caught a Moki because I never use shellfish bait and I’ve never seen an Elephant fish so I’m finding it interesting. Basically I’m shark fishing with the biggest baits I can get out there… while always trying for anything I can use as a live bait. My number one favourite fishing is live baiting. So exciting compared to other methods I’ve tried. I hate just sitting around doing nothing.

rocky

yellowfin
    Participant

wondered if any of yous know alot about fishing from shore in otago this time of year

yellowfin
    Participant

Heading for a flounder mish this weekend hope to get something. prob fish 2 or 3 rods and same with a mate more bait in the water the more chance. and if that fails may have a drag , havnt been out for a couple weeks, last time was amberley one night didnt doo too great, got rapped by doggys but got about 6 decent sized cod which now are in my freezer

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished the Dunedin harbour this weekend, Fishing was useless not a single bite. Foul hooked a scampi or something simalar surprised to see that In the harbour.:eek:

troutfishernz
    Participant

Cought someones snagged breakaway sinker off the bottom of the sea floor yesterday while fishing in Timaru, Does that count as a latest catch? :)

Ive noticed a big lack of Red Cod this winter, Been fishing about 6 times since may and have cought close to 100 doggies but not one cod.

Miliwolf
    Participant

troutfishernz

troutfishernz
    Participant

Id rather catch Red Cod than dogfish, Red cod are not bad eating.

Fished Down by the Smithfield meat works North of Timaru yesterday evening hoping to avoid the huge numbers of dogfish that are around caroline bay. Cought nothing :sad:

yellowfin
    Participant

I think Ginga had caught and eaten all the red cod this winter. Good thing to, because I hate the buggers. Myself have not been surfcasting in a long time… Bring on spring!
    Yea bring on warmer weather!! went to kaiakoura earlier this week dunno why i bother wasting the gas,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.