Latest Catches Autumn/Winter 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

In case any one is brave enough to face the cold and target a fish over winter please post here.

Tight lines

elmo22
    Participant

well im going to put my rods away for the winter, did not get out fishing any were the amount of times as i do other years mainly due to the earthquakes and dirty water from them at spencer park were i go.. Will be looking forward to the up coming white bait season at the mouth of the why-mac.. all the best to any one who goes out on these cold winter days that are coming…

Miliwolf
    Participant

I been wanting to get out, but the weather, tides and sea conditions have not been favorable. At this of year I like everything to line up perfectly before giving things a go.

rayhunter
    Participant

i know what thats like ,theres lots of dogfish around at the mo im keen to go some where good to catch anything but them

Miliwolf
    Participant

Made the most of the nice day so headed down to Seaview for a evening fish. Got there shortly after 5 and the sun was already behind the hills.. Sea was cleaner then I expected with meter swells breaking occasionally. A cold breeze made things a bit chilly after dark. For bait I had a packet of Vietnamese swimming crabs and a few raw prawns from Thailand. Thought these tropical delicacies might do the trick…. Only received one strike which was characteristic of Rig, the only other action was from sea lice. Headed for home just before 8

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Lots of good size lucious succulent fat red cod around at BF last few days…. :grin: :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Is it worthwhile chasing Moki around the Cliffs over winter?

St_Paul
    Participant

Had a bit of a crack of the beach behind new world in kaikoura on Wednesday night. 1 big fat red cod, 5 large dogfish sea was flat didn’t start getting any bites til right on dusk. Birds working 300-500 metres off shore.

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

Over Easter, there were over thirty good sized eles caught at Conway Flat.I got it from the horses lips.Just shows you need to keep snooping
    around and checking regularly where dey is.

yellowfin
    Participant

hi ..
    can anyone tell me what is the best bait for red cod and where is the best place along birdlings flat area to go for them :)
    cheers :)

yellowfin
    Participant

searunner

yellowfin
    Participant

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

From the cliffs to Bayleys early evening is best..fish bait/squid/shellfish-they will swallow it..Red cod are not picky..
    The Moki dissapear from the beach near the cliffs at this time of year and come back oct nov..but they stay around the wee rocky bays further on.. :grin:

croozer
    Participant

Just back from the Catlins…Once again great blue cod and lost a nice trumpeter at my feet, got me in the bull kelp. Now the snapper have finished. time to get cold down south, but well rewarded with great catches of Blues and Trumpeter..no such thing as off season, just got to be versatile…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.